New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Just Yesterday

Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just Yesterday

Congratulations to Pavel for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 19 votes - View Previous Winners

Just yesterday, when my daughter was four years old. She got dressed up and we went to watch a parade, where I grabbed this quick shot of her, now one of my favorites.

She's 17 years old now.

Photos like these make me glad that I got into digital photography early back in 1998. The memories grow more precious as the years move quickly on from - just yesterday.

Jewels on parade

The first Style

Almost a tune in tune

Spaghetti code

Ivories a tickling

Edited on Oct 02, 2017 at 09:55 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:51 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just Yesterday

wonderful series ... these have some real character.

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:29 AM
DougVaughn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just Yesterday

I love these. Beautiful daughter and well made images.

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:50 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just Yesterday

Really good! They do have character, indeed; and also show lots of it. "Spaghetti code" is not a term one hears or reads much, but I dare say I know as much about the implications of that term as anyone alive. I wrote and also encountered a lot of it back in the late 60s and early 70s, before the term "structured programming" had been coined.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:52 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just Yesterday

What a wonderful group, cherish these! Print them! Back then up!
Douglas

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just Yesterday

Andre Labonte wrote:
wonderful series ... these have some real character.

Thanks Andre. Over the last day or so, I've realized that it was she which inspired my desire for photography. That is what made me pick up my camera and drag it around everywhere, no matter how inconvenient.

Now all is lighter and better in every way, but as my daughter has lived in another far away state for years now, I keep trying to find subject matter to get excited about but I haven't quite found the same spark and enthusiasm.

I keep telling myself I should try landscapes, or maybe macros, but seem never to actually muster the effort to do any of it. After I posted the one shot I like so much I randomly added added a few more out of the thousands I have. Now I'm thinking that it wasn't perhaps "photography" that was my interest, but her.

I think it's time to dig through my old archives and make a book and a few prints. That will let me turn the page and perhaps close the book, so to speak.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:06 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just Yesterday

DougVaughn wrote:
I love these. Beautiful daughter and well made images.

Thanks Doug. I realized that I had a stack of old memories living in some dark sector inside an old set of drives tucked away in a drawer. I'll be darned if I know why I visit the gear forums and argue over cameras instead of getting a clue from all these great photographers work here in in the "People" and other subject specific threads. That seems to be the real reason for the hobby after all, to share the results. So it was guilt which made me post.

I hope I can use this as a change in habit! Comments such as your's and other's add fuel to the desire. Thanks.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just Yesterday

douter wrote:
What a wonderful group, cherish these! Print them! Back then up!
Douglas

Yes. I already cherish these, more and more as the years slip by. I'm currently testing some of these drives with softraid and discovered that my main backup drive, the one that is organized where I can actually (mostly) find things, has some unreadable sectors. That sure got my attention.

That advice about printing is something I need to sure take more to heart.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just Yesterday

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Really good! They do have character, indeed; and also show lots of it. "Spaghetti code" is not a term one hears or reads much, but I dare say I know as much about the implications of that term as anyone alive. I wrote and also encountered a lot of it back in the late 60s and early 70s, before the term "structured programming" had been coined.

My muse had character by the buckets full. It makes the rest pretty easy.

I think hospitals should hand out a good camera with the choice of a 35 or 50 prime with each birth.

I've got thousands of snapshots like the above, so I feel lucky. But if truth needed to be told, were I to get a second chance to do it over again - I'd have twice as many snapshots, and fewer of those shots that I struggled with, which I took for the sake of "Art". I was so pleased, and quite proud, with my best abstracts and other such, and since then have mostly trashed them.

It's the more personal photos, the reminders of life, that I time has made valuable, no matter their imperfections.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:24 PM
VickiB
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just Yesterday

I love her intent look of concentration in the computer shot.

Oct 05, 2017 at 10:18 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just Yesterday

These are great! The guitar photo is my favorite.

I treasure the photos of my boys growing up.

Oct 05, 2017 at 10:34 AM
bcguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just Yesterday

Geez. You almost made a grown man cry. Wonderful photos. She was so beautiful. I'm sure she still is. She'll always be your little girl. I feel the same way about my son, who's 6, but growing up too fast. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy every minute.

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:17 AM
DonM2
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just Yesterday

Pavel........

The above series of your young daughter is one of the most eloquent statements of why cameras exist that I've seen in my very long years!

Big thanks for sharing, sir!

DonM2

Oct 14, 2017 at 03:47 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just Yesterday

#1 is a real classy image!
Dan

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register