New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

Hi: Does anyone know (better if you have personal experience) whether most airlines allow F-Stop Sukha as a carry on? I have used Satori without issues however, I am getting interested in Sukha.

Thx
msoomro

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:24 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

It might fit sideways, but you would be significantly exceeding the airlines carry on size. Do you have a backup plan?

EBH

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:12 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

I agree with EB-1... My wife and I travel with a pair of the original Tilopas, and I often worry that they will tell us that our bags are too large... Your Satori is bigger than the Tilopa, so I think that you might have some issues with a Sukha.

bruce

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:30 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

@EB1 , OwlsEyes. Thanks for the input. Thats what I was thinking as well. Sukha is about and 1" or 1.5" taller. and I am afraid it may get noticed compared to Satori. No backup plan other than take out ICU and carry on and gate check the backpack.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:39 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

The Sukha is about 6 inches bigger I believe. I use the Satori + Ajna and the Tele Master ICU will not fit in it like the Sukha. I use the pro XL ICU which is about 19" and the TeleMaster ICU is 25" I believe. I think you could run into problems for carry on.

Here is a pic showing the ICU size difference. It is a lot VS the XL ICU.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:22 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

I've never had a problem with carrying on my old Tilopa, but a taller (by a foot) male with the same pack had to check his on the same airline, different day, same flight. I've also seen males being told to gate check their bags, but nobody is there to do it, so they look around, confused, then shrug & carry it on. I kind of wonder if they assume that with a short woman, anything will look big, so let it go, but think that tall guys must have an oversized bag. I've flown with my Sigma 150-600mm, Canon 24-70, 70-200 & Canon 1Dx in the Tilopa and a "personal" bag. I have a Sukha, but have not flown with it & am not sure I would chance it. I have put large camera packs in my checked bag & carried on a more compact bag that doesn't carry well in the field but is smaller because of the lack of padding/shoulder harness, but holds all my photo gear (pre-150-600mm days).

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:47 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

In the event they ask you to check the bag just pull the ICU out-- far from ideal but a very good back up plan.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:17 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

@MB126: Thanks, that is surely a workable backup plan.

The only caveat I might encounter is the metal frame gets bent if the airline is not careful. Checking in empty bag, there wont be much structural support.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:00 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · F-stop Sukha as carry on on planes

I have both here side by side. the height diff is about 3.5". Note: I emptied top pouches and pressed down against frame.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.