Gimmick
Feature
Haven't used one yet
No opinion

Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

When I got my 5DIV I didn't think that the touch screen was something I would use, but having used it several times now it makes me wonder why every one of the Canon cameras doesn't have a touch screen, I also have a 1DxII and wish that they had put one on that model as well.

I realize its kind of gimmicky, but after using it I would call it more of a feature.....what is your opinion?

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

It's a feature. You can disable it.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:15 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

It's also a feature, especially when you want tell the camera what to follow focus on while shooting video. Something that really does work. I often forget that I have it turned on when shooting stills and still navigate the menus with the buttons but I suppose I don't really have to.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:48 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

The menu operation using touch screen is very handy and nice on the 5D4, but I get confused because after I use it, I forget the feature is missing on the other 3 Canon bodies I often use.

The one quite valuable touch feature of the 5D4, that is also the only touch feature on the 1DX2, is touch for selecting the point to auto focus on in live view. Once you come to trust the feature, there is no longer a need to zoom the live view display in and move the focus point to where you want it and then carefully adjust focus. The single touch, without zooming in, achieves critical focus, and so the feature can save tons of time. Thus the fast and accurate DPAF live view focus, located via touch, really helps me for static live view shots. Besides the obvious focusing task, I also like being able to quickly take a two or three or four shot group with individual focus on each, for later use to focus stack.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:09 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

I like it.
As mentioned, touch screen live view af is quite handy. I'm also much faster going through the menus when I need to change some settings.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

Herb wrote:
When I got my 5DIV I didn't think that the touch screen was something I would use, but having used it several times now it makes me wonder why every one of the Canon cameras doesn't have a touch screen, I also have a 1DxII and wish that they had put one on that model as well.

I realize its kind of gimmicky, but after using it I would call it more of a feature.....what is your opinion?

A touch screen has some uses, but I don't like cameras that require it for important functions. I rely on display clarity and don't enjoy cleaning it even more often than usual.
The touch screen is not reliable with gloves or in bad weather.

EBH

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:48 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

I thought it was kinda gimmicky until I upgraded to my 5D IV bodies. The touchscreen really is more intuitive and faster for stills and awesome for video and Live View.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

After using a touchscreen on my 70D/80D and SL1 for years, I keep touching the screen on my 6D and nuttin' happens...

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:48 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

First used it on the eos M. Canon have done an amazingly good job of making a touch interface, a real highlite and not a gimmick at all.

Glad I have it on the 5d4 now, its hard to go back.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bootster
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

Since you can disable it, there is no reason to dislike it, especially when it saves TONS of time and is extremely useful in live view stills and video. The 6D Mk II allows you to chimp your shots without having to press the picture review button first. The 80D does not do that, and now I am constantly trying to chimp the screen on the 80D before pressing the picture review button, and it doesn't do anything. The 6D seems to be a hindrance now that I can use touch on the 80D and the 6D MkII as nothing happens at all when you try to use the touch screen, for obvious reasons.

I don't have a large nose, but some posters commented that the touch screen is activated when they are trying to take some shots through the viewfinder. That would indeed be a slight disadvantage for those members.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

bootster wrote:
...I don't have a large nose, but some posters commented that the touch screen is activated when they are trying to take some shots through the viewfinder. That would indeed be a slight disadvantage for those members.

Any sized nose will do it for left-eyed shooters. Which is about half of us.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

Gochugogi wrote:
After using a touchscreen on my 70D/80D and SL1 for years, I keep touching the screen on my 6D and nuttin' happens...

80D + 6D2 ... stuff happens.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:36 PM
bootster
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

jcolwell wrote:
Any sized nose will do it for left-eyed shooters. Which is about half of us.

I am a left eye shooter and have had a 70D, own an 80D and a 6D Mk II and have NEVER once hit the touchscreen with my nose. I have never heard it to be an issue either, except once or twice. I guess because I brought it up, it will be a huge issue now.

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:21 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

left-eyed shooters half? isn't 10%?

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:30 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

I wouldn't mind having touch screen but don't half ass the attempt like they did with the 1DX2. If you are going to have the feature design the damn interface to use it. Inexcusable on a flagship body.

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

ggreene wrote:
I wouldn't mind having touch screen but don't half ass the attempt like they did with the 1DX2. If you are going to have the feature design the damn interface to use it. Inexcusable on a flagship body.

I have to agree.....the screen is there is it just s matter of software? If so, a firmware update would be nice!

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

ggreene wrote:

But if the interface is designed for touch, then what of the people who use it outside in the cold, rain, snow, etc.?

That reminds be of the terrible interface of Windows 8.

EBH

EBH

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:39 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

ggreene wrote:

Major misstep on Canon's part.

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Touch screen - gimmick or feature?

garydavidjones wrote:
left-eyed shooters half? isn't 10%?

No. That's left-handed people. About half of photographers are left-eyed, and most of them are right-handed. We've had at least six threads about this in the past ten years or so. The most recent was a poll, that put left-eyed shooters at 47%.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1490062/0#14034519

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password