Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

I am two weeks into my new 6D Mark II and am still trying to find my groove with it.

See please can you have a look and let me know what you would do with this photo.

I've done my normal processing with Lightroom CC, nothing out of the ordinary.

The raw file can be found here: http://app.box.com/s/1xdpp9zbupvy148ohcw5ryctdlt9dtkl

Edited on Oct 01, 2017 at 04:55 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2017 at 12:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

This is pretty good as is, so I will only offer a few nits.

1. Crop or clone out hat stick center bottom.

2. Crop or clone out the partial cloud right center.

3. Crop some off the top.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:08 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

If it was mine, I'd just do a few minor tweaks - because I'm something of a visual fussbudget.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:25 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

Thanks Ben & Karen for your suggestions. I agree the junk on the beach are distractions.

This one might be better, I haven't taken the junk off the beach yet.

The raw file is here: http://app.box.com/s/fpdytjxmfguu9dczholtpeqm9zio8oe9

Thanks for looking.

Oct 01, 2017 at 04:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

I certainly like this new one better.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:25 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

Thanks Ben, me too. I'm going to be printing this one.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:42 PM
CMYK Designs
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

ben egbert wrote:
This is pretty good as is, so I will only offer a few nits.

1. Crop or clone out hat stick center bottom.

2. Crop or clone out the partial cloud right center.

3. Crop some off the top.

+1 on Ben's comments....my thoughts exactly even before I read his!

Oct 06, 2017 at 09:18 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

Beautiful image pliukait, I really like the light. +1 on Ben's and AuntiPode's suggestions. Although color is of primary interest in this image, I experimented with a B&W slant. I really didn't do it justice, but it provides a glimpse in a direction you may or may not have considered.

Cheers
Dale

Oct 08, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Silverfire
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

I think Dale's B&W angle is striking; it allows you to see more details and it brings out a sense of wistful isolation. I would definitely go that direction!

Oct 10, 2017 at 09:23 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

pliukait wrote:
Thanks Ben & Karen for your suggestions. I agree the junk on the beach are distractions.

This one might be better, I haven't taken the junk off the beach yet.

The raw file is here: http://app.box.com/s/fpdytjxmfguu9dczholtpeqm9zio8oe9

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful shot!
How are you liking the new rig?

I snagged your second RAW file and had a go at it. I'm on a crappy monitor right now but this would be close to how I'd crop and process it. For print, I suspect it would need to be brightened up a bit.

Knowing what one must go through to capture such gorgeous light and color, I would stay with the color version. Kinda defeats the point of lack of sleep by going mono with this IMHO.

Dave

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

DaleBerlin wrote:
Beautiful image pliukait, I really like the light. +1 on Ben's and AuntiPode's suggestions. Although color is of primary interest in this image, I experimented with a B&W slant. I really didn't do it justice, but it provides a glimpse in a direction you may or may not have considered.

Cheers
Dale

Thanks Dale. I'm not usually a B&W person, but your experiment does look pretty good.

Oct 10, 2017 at 05:55 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Updated with additional photo. How would you process this beach sunset?

lighthound wrote:
Beautiful shot!
How are you liking the new rig?

I snagged your second RAW file and had a go at it. I'm on a crappy monitor right now but this would be close to how I'd crop and process it. For print, I suspect it would need to be brightened up a bit.

Knowing what one must go through to capture such gorgeous light and color, I would stay with the color version. Kinda defeats the point of lack of sleep by going mono with this IMHO.

Dave

Thanks lighthound. I'm still learning the 6DII but so far so good. For what I shoot, the limitations of DR are not an issue, although I admit the I did get caught up in all the angst.

I even went so far as to price a Sony and Nikon, but that would have blown my allowable budget and some of my friends would have called me a turncoat/traitor.

There are many things about the 6DII that I like, with no showstoppers for me.

That shot was in the early evening, about 7:30PM, so no lack of sleep encountered.

Here's another from the next day....I like it for the lines that the waves create.

Oct 10, 2017 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.