New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

35mm F2D underexposes

mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35mm F2D underexposes

I have a 35mm F2D that is in overall mint condition but I have noticed it underexposes very badly. I used it today on my D850 and had to dial in a -3EV EXP Comp. At first I was concerned about camera till I remembered this is something I had to do on my D810 as well with this lens. It seems to be worse outside with higher contrast scenes.

Can there be something wrong with a lens that can lead to this issue? The lens works well in every other way, but just doesn't seem to matrix meter well.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:15 PM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35mm F2D underexposes

I had problems with aperture blades on that lens (after beating the crap out of it for years). Try shooting with manual mode/auto iso off and adjust only the aperture to see if it changes the exposure.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:07 PM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35mm F2D underexposes

Sorry, I missed the part about dialing in -3EV. That sounds a bit more like 3D Matrix info not being conveyed either because a cable is loose or something is wrong internally.

If you can work in manual mode ok (more or less ignoring the meter), then this is likely the case.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Spectro
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35mm F2D underexposes

Check for oil on the aperture blades. This lens is probably Nikon's worst offender for that problem.
Usually the symptoms will be the opposite though, the aperture not closing properly leading to overexposure. The best way to avoid the oil is to store the lens face down and completely stopped down to f22. I still have mine from the film days and have had it cleaned twice over the years.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35mm F2D underexposes

Spectro wrote:
Check for oil on the aperture blades. This lens is probably Nikon's worst offender for that problem.
Usually the symptoms will be the opposite though, the aperture not closing properly leading to overexposure. The best way to avoid the oil is to store the lens face down and completely stopped down to f22. I still have mine from the film days and have had it cleaned twice over the years.

Thanks for suggestions. The lens is overexposing and by a lot so maybe you are right about the oil. I will check in the morning for this. I didn't think it had any oil but maybe it has changed. That could explain what is going on.

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:38 AM
Photozack81
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35mm F2D underexposes

mysh wrote:
Thanks for suggestions. The lens is overexposing and by a lot so maybe you are right about the oil. I will check in the morning for this. I didn't think it had any oil but maybe it has changed. That could explain what is going on.

I'm quite confused.

This post says overexposing, the title and first post says underexposing, and you mention dialing in a negative EC.

Which is it?

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:54 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35mm F2D underexposes

Sorry i was on just a couple hours of sleep this morning. The title is wrong, it is overexposing. If i don't use exp comp the picture will be blown out by about 3 stops.

Photozack81 wrote:
I'm quite confused.

This post says overexposing, the title and first post says underexposing, and you mention dialing in a negative EC.

Which is it?

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:30 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35mm F2D underexposes

Spectro wrote:

I finally checked the lens and it does in fact have oil on the blades. I recently purchased it and they were clean at the time of purchase.

How much did it cost you to get it cleaned? I feel like this type of issue should be covered since it seems like a design flaw. If a specific lens is prone to an issue it is a design issue.

Oct 08, 2017 at 06:35 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password