New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

hsiunghsiung
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

Anyone have any suggestions for M lenses that are between 20-28mm that are small and sharp for the a7rii with an adapter like techart pro? I have the 35mm f2.8 which I love and carry with me everywhere, but I was just wondering if there were any that were wider since yesterday I was in a situation where a wider lens would have benefited me more. I have the 15mm for ultra wide, but in terms of 20-28, not so much. Would like to have autofocus hence the tech art pro adapter

I've tried the batis 25mm f2 which I loved, but it was just a bit too bulky/wide so I sold it
I've thought about the 28mm f2, but I've heard there are high variations in each copy in terms of corner sharpness. I'm keeping my eye out for a sharp copy though, but until then, just seeing what other options there may be.

Oct 01, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

Well, depending on budget, the Leica Summilux 28/1.4 fits the bill. I used it along with a Leica 75/2 apo as a terrific two lens combo on TAP on occasion. It is pricey, however, and needs stopping down for landscape, but it, along with the 21 Summilux, work the best M wides for use with a Sony body.

Edited on Oct 01, 2017 at 02:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:36 PM
Herbc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

Leica 24 f3.5 asph. Tiny and works quite well. I am going to part with mine as I am concentrating on printing and no longer get in the field much.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:18 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

i was very impressed with the older 21/2.8 ASPH, but i only used it on a kolari modded a7, it probably has corner issues with a normal filter stack. the 24/3.8 is great, as is the new version of the 28 cron. again, both are better with thinner cover glass or the appropriate pcx filter.

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:27 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:
i was very impressed with the older 21/2.8 ASPH, but i only used it on a kolari modded a7, it probably has corner issues with a normal filter stack. the 24/3.8 is great, as is the new version of the 28 cron. again, both are better with thinner cover glass or the appropriate pcx filter.

On Kolari modded sensors, these will be good. However, on a stock sensor the Summiluxes work better. I am not aware of any work being done testing pcx filters on these as of yet.

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

Luvwine wrote:
On Kolari modded sensors, these will be good. However, on a stock sensor the Summiluxes work better. I am not aware of any work being done testing pcx filters on these as of yet.

i think the midzone of the 24/3.8 is better than the 24 lux even on an unmodded a7*, while the corners are a bit better on the lux.

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:
i think the midzone of the 24/3.8 is better than the 24 lux even on an unmodded a7*, while the corners are a bit better on the lux.

That may well be. I was more reacting to the Summicron which is generally not good on the Sony. For a more general discussion on stock Sony sensors (tho not including the 24/3.8), see this blog if you have not:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/07/guide-to-leica-wide-angle-lenses-on-sony-a7-series-bodies/

At least Lensrentals seems to like the Summiluxes (21 and 28) the best of the Leica wides they looked at aside, of course, from the WATE. I have owned the Summilux 28 and the WATE and both performed well. I expect we will see a Loxia 28 eventually but until then, the quest continues with the Leica R 28/2.8 version II also being an excellent choice tho needing stopping down for good corners.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

Luvwine wrote:
That may well be. I was more reacting to the Summicron which is generally not good on the Sony. For a more general discussion on stock Sony sensors (tho not including the 24/3.8), see this blog if you have not:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/07/guide-to-leica-wide-angle-lenses-on-sony-a7-series-bodies/

At least Lensrentals seems to like the Summiluxes (21 and 28) the best of the Leica wides they looked at aside, of course, from the WATE. I have owned the Summilux 28 and the WATE and both performed well. I expect we will see a Loxia 28 eventually but until then, the quest continues with the Leica R 28/2.8 version II
...Show more

oh yeah, totally forgot about the WATE, which is awesome on a stock a7*.

yeah, the summicron has crummy corners on a stock a7*, the new version is a little better (perhaps there is a pcx solution for this?) but not as good as the lux. i was mostly ignoring the wide angle luxes because they're so giant and expensive. i like the contax g 28 for myself, i won't be interested in a loxia 28 unless it's f/2 or faster.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:46 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

While a bit larger than M-mount, The Leica R Elmarit 28/2.8 is a wonderful lens on the A7 series. It works with Techart with an M to R mount adapter. I love the colors and color separation of this lens.

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:44 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:
oh yeah, totally forgot about the WATE, which is awesome on a stock a7*.

yeah, the summicron has crummy corners on a stock a7*, the new version is a little better (perhaps there is a pcx solution for this?) but not as good as the lux. i was mostly ignoring the wide angle luxes because they're so giant and expensive. i like the contax g 28 for myself, i won't be interested in a loxia 28 unless it's f/2 or faster.

I would think the hypothetical Loxia 28 would be F2 or F2.4 though it could be faster if they wanted sticking to a 52mm filter thread. The "giant" Summilux is only giant compared to some pretty tiny lenses. The Leica 28/1.4 with a 49mm filter thread is pretty tiny compared, say, to the behemoth Zeiss Otus 28/1.4 with a 95mm front thread......

Regarding the WATE, yes, I enjoyed its size and capability, but the Loxia 21 spoiled me being a stop faster and sharper than the WATE at 21mm. The new Sony G 12-24 also has filled that range pretty well. Both are fiddly with filter use too but no question, the WATE is a fine, compact, and capable option still tho certainly not the cheapest.

Oct 02, 2017 at 06:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

Luvwine wrote:
I would think the hypothetical Loxia 28 would be F2 or F2.4 though it could be faster if they wanted sticking to a 52mm filter thread. The "giant" Summilux is only giant compared to some pretty tiny lenses. The Leica 28/1.4 with a 49mm filter thread is pretty tiny compared, say, to the behemoth Zeiss Otus 28/1.4 with a 95mm front thread......

that is almost like saying that the 28 lux is tiny compared to a 400/2.8. my entire landscape setup, 2 cameras with 5 lenses, is smaller than the otus 28/1.4 by itself. i can fit 3 of those lenses (a 21mm, 28mm, and 45mm) in the bag space taken up by the 21 lux too.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

I like to keep things small and light as possible for street stuff but for landscape, it doesn't really matter to me. In fact, I think the drive to get things as small as possible does come at a cost. In some cases, if you want the absolute "best" you need to go a bit bigger. All depends on personal needs.....

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:18 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:
that is almost like saying that the 28 lux is tiny compared to a 400/2.8. my entire landscape setup, 2 cameras with 5 lenses, is smaller than the otus 28/1.4 by itself. i can fit 3 of those lenses (a 21mm, 28mm, and 45mm) in the bag space taken up by the 21 lux too.

The 28 lux is a bit heavy but it really is pretty small. At 61mm in diameter and 67mm long it is actually smaller in the bag in both dimension that the Sony FE 55 f/1.8. On the camera it is a few millimeters longer than the 55 with the adapter, but if you use the hood with both it is shorter as the hood is noticeably shorter than the 55 hood. So, physically it is about the same size as the Sony FE 55 f/1.8 or just a tiny bit smaller. I don't call that giant. It is 200g or so heavier, however, so it isn't lightweight and with the adapter is even heavier of course. With the Hawk's, which is what I use, it is still less than 500g, so not ridiculously heavy either.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:28 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:

Admittedly, I chose an extreme example, but still, for what it is the Leica Summlux 28 is pretty compact. I found its size quite manageable, but reasonable minds may differ over what is an acceptable size for a lens.

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:34 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

Gary Clennan wrote:
In some cases, if you want the absolute "best" you need to go a bit bigger. All depends on personal needs.....

if you want the absolute best, you need to keep in mind that you could always have better if you went a little bigger. sure the otus 28/1.4 is gigantic, but it has some optical weaknesses that could have been better corrected if zeiss had been a little less "concerned" with keeping size down to only unreasonably large. you'd get an objectively superior image by using the previously mentioned 400/2.8 and stitching anyway (will that fit on a gigapan?).

my personal opinion has always been that if you want the absolute best you're not interested in photography. that said, everybody has a different threshold for good enough image quality and too big. people look for different qualities in lenses too.

Steve Spencer wrote:
The 28 lux is a bit heavy but it really is pretty small. At 61mm in diameter and 67mm long it is actually smaller in the bag in both dimension that the Sony FE 55 f/1.8. On the camera it is a few millimeters longer than the 55 with the adapter, but if you use the hood with both it is shorter as the hood is noticeably shorter than the 55 hood. So, physically it is about the same size as the Sony FE 55 f/1.8 or just a tiny bit smaller. I don't call that giant. It is
...Show more

the 28 lux is the smallest 28/1.4 around as far as i know, so if you want a 28/1.4 and small, that's what i'd choose. personally, i can live without f/1.4 at 28mm and like the look of the cron much better (as well as the smaller size), so the lux doesn't interest me. i'd rather save f/1.4 for 35mm where the lux asph is much smaller and narrow dof more useful for me.

btw, i don't really consider the FE 55/1.8 to be terribly compact either it's bigger than most 50/1.4 lenses with their adapters. here it is next to (some of) my more compact fast normals:

it's worth noting that for landscape a few of these smaller lenses noticeably outperform the FE as well.

Oct 02, 2017 at 09:22 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

"noticeably outperform the FE,"
Interesting,
which lens in what?

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:02 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

rsrsrs wrote:
"noticeably outperform the FE,"
Interesting,
which lens in what?

for landscape stopped down near infinity. the zeiss rollei 50/1.4 (right next to the FE in the picture) and, of course, the contax g 45/2 (second from the right). both have much worse bokeh at large aperture close up (and hexagons) though.

i like the cv 50/1.5 and rokkor 55/1.7 (middle two) best as all rounders, but i have funny tastes.

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:
my personal opinion has always been that if you want the absolute best you're not interested in photography. that said, everybody has a different threshold for good enough image quality and too big. people look for different qualities in lenses too.

I disagree with this but understand where you are coming from. I guess for me it depends on what I want to achieve with an image. I used to own so many "character" type lenses but eventually realized that they were more/less one trick ponies. Like you elude to, "best" means different things to each individual. With my landscape shooting, I want (probably don't really need) mega sharp corner-to-corner lenses. Very difficult to get with an old SLR design lens. I tried many and they all failed on the high MP bodies. BUT - I am much more flexible with my street shooting. Sharpness is not a huge concern and small size is super important...

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:
btw, i don't really consider the FE 55/1.8 to be terribly compact either it's bigger than most 50/1.4 lenses with their adapters.

Obviously. It is an AF lens....

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:25 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Small 20-28mm M mount lens for a7rii recommendations

sebboh wrote:
for landscape stopped down near infinity. the zeiss rollei 50/1.4 (right next to the FE in the picture) and, of course, the contax g 45/2 (second from the right). both have much worse bokeh at large aperture close up (and hexagons) though.

i like the cv 50/1.5 and rokkor 55/1.7 (middle two) best as all rounders, but i have funny tastes.

Yeah, I am a big fan of the Minolta 55 f/1.7 too, but it is 2mm fatter in diameter, and with the adapter and hood it is just 1.3mm shorter than the Leica M 28 f/1.4. On the camera with their designated hoods they are essentially the same size, and there won't even be that big of difference in weight. The Leica M 28 f/1.4 certainly doesn't have to be characterized as small, but I think calling it giant is a bit of hyperbole.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password