Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

Thanks. Awaiting the email now.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:13 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

I guess i was foolish to actually pay for it earlier this year.

I should say that i have something of a love-hate relationship with it. For very high ISO images (1600/3200 on my 5D) it gives much much better results than either LR or C1 Pro and is now my go-to software for indoor low light images. It deals well with sunsets also, controlling the shadow areas well. For more normal contrast lower ISO shots, i struggle to get results that i like as much as either LR or C1 though - the noise handling is still much better, but the general "look" just isn't as good to my eye and i struggle to make it give results i like as much as the others.

Oct 01, 2017 at 04:29 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

15Bit wrote:
I guess i was foolish to actually pay for it earlier this year.

I should say that i have something of a love-hate relationship with it. For very high ISO images (1600/3200 on my 5D) it gives much much better results than either LR or C1 Pro and is now my go-to software for indoor low light images.

That's good to hear. I'll try it out on some high ISO's later.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:17 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

Paul Mo wrote:
That's good to hear. I'll try it out on some high ISO's later.

Remember to turn on the "Prime" noise reduction, not the standard. The Prime algorithm is really very impressive in it's ability to clean up noise without losing detail and retaining colours. I've noticed at high values of colour NR that Lightroom tends to bleed and desaturate colours quite a lot in areas of finer detail, and DXO doesn't do that at all - it retains the fine colour detail really well.

I find DXO does tend to scrunch up the dark shadows quite a lot at default settings. On ISO 3200 indoor shots with a 5D i don't really have any detail there to preserve anyway, so it's not an issue. But for well lit lower ISO shots a more contrasty default rendering of things like dark hair loses some detail (and is not all that flattering in portraits). I find i can alleviate the problem by pushing up the shadows slider and pulling down the black point, and then tuning with curves to suit.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

Thanks for the link, I might give it a look.

I haven't demo'd DXO for many years, now. It seemed to do a nicer job of NR than it's contemporaries at the time (roughly 7-8 years ago), but it also seemed be significantly slower (which is likely why it did a better job @ diff algo).

I've got some underexposed (about 1-2 stop) wedding pics that I've only dabbled with in DPP4 so far. Might be interesting to see how DXO fares ... although, it the list of supported cameras, does NOT include 6D2, so I may be outa luck (or I get lucky at not updated list).

Looks like the offer is for the "Essentials" version, not the "Elite" version (with the better PRIME).

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:50 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks for the link, I might give it a look.

I haven't demo'd DXO for many years, now. It seemed to do a nicer job of NR than it's contemporaries at the time (roughly 7-8 years ago), but it also seemed be significantly slower (which is likely why it did a better job @ diff algo).

I've got some underexposed (about 1-2 stop) wedding pics that I've only dabbled with in DPP4 so far. Might be interesting to see how DXO fares ... although, it the list of supported cameras, does NOT include 6D2, so I may be outa luck (or I
...Show more

Rusty, should have used a Sony camera...those under exposed images would be a cake walk.

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:17 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

chez wrote:
Rusty, should have used a Sony camera...those under exposed images would be a cake walk.

Actually, I should have raised my ISO with the falling light levels and didn't take notice to do so. That or used Auto ISO. My bad ... I wasn't planning to shoot any wedding pics, but the hired photographer bailed and the bride's father asked me if I could cover the rest rather unexpectedly, so I didn't quite have my game on as I could / would / should. I had more ISO headroom, I just failed to use it. Operator error, not camera deficiency.

I'll manage, though.

BTW, the photographer that bailed was using a Sony, and shot two hours worth of outdoor shots only (ceremony was about 20 minutes). She didn't take a single indoor image before she left. No cake, no dance, no bouquet, no nothin'.

I just happened to be the lucky one to catch the dagger in the dungeon.

DXO ... installed, and it prompted me to either use the email supplied code for "Essentials", or offered the 31 day trial of "Elite". I opted for the "Elite" trial.

Also, the fine print points out that if you do install the free version of "Essentials", it is NOT eligible for future upgrade (pricing). Just a point, in case someone might be thinking they could 1/2 step into "Elite" for less $$$.

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:57 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

No support for the 5Ds/R

EBH

Oct 01, 2017 at 11:20 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

RustyBug wrote:
No cake, no dance, no bouquet, no nothin'.

And no money either i would expect.

Any idea why the pro bailed out at such an odd time? Presumably some sort of family emergency or something.?

Oct 01, 2017 at 12:33 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

RustyBug wrote:
Actually, I should have raised my ISO with the falling light levels and didn't take notice to do so. That or used Auto ISO. My bad ... I wasn't planning to shoot any wedding pics, but the hired photographer bailed and the bride's father asked me if I could cover the rest rather unexpectedly, so I didn't quite have my game on as I could / would / should. I had more ISO headroom, I just failed to use it. Operator error, not camera deficiency.

I'll manage, though.

BTW, the photographer that bailed was using a Sony, and shot two
...Show more

But that’s the beauty of systems that have more leeway.. sh*t happens, like under exposure and the systems that have more leeway handle these occasions more gracefully. Just an example where better sensors can be utilized.

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:10 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

RustyBug wrote:
Looks like the offer is for the "Essentials" version, not the "Elite" version (with the better PRIME).

That probably means V12 is in the pipeline. I'm pretty sure they did this before, offering the basic version for free just before releasing a new version. It's quite clever marketing to try to entice people in with fully featured software that they are not going to be able to monetise further, though they are never so generous as to give away the Prime algorithm for free. They know where their crown jewels are....

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:26 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

DXO 11 is a key step in my important images - those I will work up for printing and for commercial digital jobs. It does the best work of available tools with high ISO and handles odd lighting well. Clear View is powerful and useful. Prime NR is among the best though sometimes in extreme situations, such as ISO 25600 with varying light, I have to do further work.

While it's nice that more folks will have access to the tools, I fear we are seeing the end of its advancement. I can't imagine a relatively some entity will keep it alive without a revenue stream. I guess the bean counters determined it wasn't paying its way. Sad.

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

15Bit wrote:
And no money either i would expect.

Any idea why the pro bailed out at such an odd time? Presumably some sort of family emergency or something.?

My guess ... the bride booked a set amount of time, and the photographer chewed it all up outside before leaving for another gig.

I overheard the photographer tell the bride "that's what you paid me for" as the photographer was leaving to go to another gig. At best a miscommunication. At worst, a rip-off in coverage. I don't know which it is, and really don't want to know (my gut tells me which one it is though).

As a guest sitting around for two hours while the very unorganized scattering of bridal party lingered about, I couldn't help but wonder why things weren't moving inside yet. Several guests left as a result of the multi-hour delay.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

chez wrote:
But that’s the beauty of systems that have more leeway.. sh*t happens, like under exposure and the systems that have more leeway handle these occasions more gracefully. Just an example where better sensors can be utilized.

Well, if I had known I was going to be shooting a wedding in a cave, I would have brought some diff aspects of the rig ... I dunno, like light.

Better sensor, or not ... the lack of light was abysmal, as well as the cross colored lighting (that no sensor can compensate for) scheme. A flash (or spot) would have afforded neutral light onto the subject, instead of warm light in certain areas, and cool light in others ... kicking mixed WB all over the place.

"Better sensor" doesn't do squat for that. Preparation with controlled lighting does.

A better sensor wouldn't have fixed that "sh*t".

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:56 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

RustyBug wrote:
Well, if I had known I was going to be shooting a wedding in a cave, I would have brought some diff aspects of the rig ... I dunno, like light.

Better sensor, or not ... the lack of light was abysmal, as well as the cross colored lighting (that no sensor can compensate for) scheme. A flash (or spot) would have afforded neutral light onto the subject, instead of warm light in certain areas, and cool light in others ... kicking mixed WB all over the place.

"Better sensor" doesn't do squat for that. Preparation with controlled lighting does.
...Show more

Sorry Rusty, but under exposed by 1 or 2 stops is definitely something I could fix...that's not a huge stretch at all.

If you are saying you cannot fix those images...then YES a better sensor would have bailed you out.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:12 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

I'm not saying that I can't fix it, or that all is lost because of the sensor difference / operator error. If a 1-2 stop underexposure was unrecoverable ... yeah, that would be pretty bad.

I was saying that I'd be interested to find out how the DXO product contends with it compared to DPP4 product that I currently have at my disposal ... and that I have some real world images that are legitimately beckoning to see if there is a notable difference between DPP4 vs. DXO. The same would be true, no matter which camera I shot it with (i.e. how does DXO compare to DPP4).

As it turns out, it looks like DXO doesn't have support for the 6D2 yet.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:10 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

RustyBug wrote:
I'm not saying that I can't fix it, or that all is lost because of the sensor difference / operator error. If a 1-2 stop underexposure was unrecoverable ... yeah, that would be pretty bad.

I was saying that I'd be interested to find out how the DXO product contends with it compared to DPP4 product that I currently have at my disposal ... and that I have some real world images that are legitimately beckoning to see if there is a notable difference between DPP4 vs. DXO. The same would be true, no matter which camera I shot it
...Show more

What type of metering did you use that caused a 2 stop under exposure and how would boosting the ISO fix this under exposure?

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

No metering ... manually up against the wall @ SS and Aperture, that only leaves ISO.

The light level was roughly EV4 - EV5, maybe even EV3 in some areas.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:27 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Current DxO OpticsPro Avaible for Free

RustyBug wrote:
No metering ... manually up against the wall @ SS and Aperture, that only leaves ISO.

The light level was roughly EV4 - EV5.

This is where an EVF would have saved your bacon...you'd see the under exposure in the finder...something not possible with an OVF. Should have chimped...the old fashion way.

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.