New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

haleheartless

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

I paid $1100 for a Canon 6D refurbished from the Canon Store online today. I've heard great things about the Canon refurbished store so I took a chance. I bought a lens (50/1.4 USM) I don't have the credibility history to buy/set on the Fred Miranda page otherwise I would have looked there.
I felt like a overpaid slightly. I think at this point, the 6D going price is around 850-900 used. In December 2015 apparently the Canon refurbished store had a sale going where the 6D was priced at $999. Even a hundred dollars is a lot to me, a college student.
Should I cancel the order? I believe the 10% refurbished sale ends tonight.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:50 AM
VictorJB
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

Hi hale,

I wouldn’t pay $1100 for a refurbished Canon 6D. That’s way too much.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:52 AM
haleheartless

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

Hey Victor,
Thanks for your response.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:00 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

I wouldn't discount B&S here. You've got some history on the boards, and PayPal does a pretty good job of protecting sellers.

The Canon refurb store often has really good deals for current cameras, especially if you live in a state with no sales tax. But I've noticed that the deals on older cameras like the 6D or 5DIII aren't that great.

Mark

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:29 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

Two things to consider:

On the negative side: You probably had to pay sales tax so your cost would be about $1200

On the Positive side: You get a one-year Canon warranty

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:55 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

If you overpaid it wasn't by much because like riokid says, you have a warranty.

Oct 01, 2017 at 04:03 AM
VictorJB
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

How much is a 1 year limited warranty worth? I would direct anyone buying a Canon 6D to the used market at this point. Lots of great buys pop up all the time, low shutter counts and low price.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:32 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

Which raises the point of being able to absorb the cost of repairs should the need occur.

For some a warranty is important, others not so much. Only a buyer can decide.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:36 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

Canon's out-of-warranty repair charge for low-end body in the U. S. is $215 plus parts. A shutter replacement can cost you over $300

It is the luck of the draw: Do you feel lucky

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:50 AM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

riokid wrote:
On the negative side: You probably had to pay sales tax so your cost would be about $1200

You don't pay your use tax?

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

FYI: Refurb means previously owned, used and rejected...

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:17 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

I've bought three refurbs from Canon Direct and, according to my Shutter Count app, shutter actuations were 14, 19 and 90 cycles. So not not very used and looked and smelled new. They were all coupon and or sale specials, so a good deal. Without a discount, Canon's refurb price is a bit high. Some of the new bundles are better deals.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:07 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

artificialyello wrote:

This is incorrect. It could also simply mean an open box item from a retail store.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:29 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

voidsherpa wrote:
You don't pay your use tax?

No use tax or VAT. In the USA we call it sales tax

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:49 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

riokid wrote:
No use tax or VAT. In the USA we call it sales tax

If you buy something online, in person, etc. and sales tax is not collected by the merchant you pay use tax unless you are tax exempt for the purchase. This is in the USA.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:55 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

I've purchased 2 refurb cameras from Canon. Both were indistinguishable from new. On each of these the shutter count was low. I'm sure there are copies that have been returned due to failure. I can't image Canon would push these out without repair particularly as this is precisely what they are selling via refurb.

Personally the 1 year is worth enough to buy there. As for the 6DII, I'm not in the market, but it seemed to me it was overpriced. Don't really know.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:56 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

riokid wrote:
Canon's out-of-warranty repair charge for low-end body in the U. S. is $215 plus parts. A shutter replacement can cost you over $300

It is the luck of the draw: Do you feel lucky

There is no luck of the draw, A vast majority, probably in the 90% percentile of 6Ds don't fail in 1 year. A warranty is nice if you can get from Canon on a refurb, but highly unlikely you would ever use it.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:59 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

artificialyello wrote:

FYI, Refurbished means returned to original factory specs.

When factory refurbished, it hopefully means that it is considered to be as good as new. Thus typically backed up by full factory warranty as-if it was new + a free return policy.

Most of the refurbished cameras and/or lenses are due to returns: many people buy stuff they end up not using or not liking, then they return them or a refund. So a user "rejecting" something doesn't mean it failed on them or it was a lemon, it might just mean a "change of heart" on the buyer's side.

I have bought lots of refurbished items over the years. In case of the Canon US refurbished store, I never had an issue, in all cases, items were identical to new, both in operation and/or cosmetically. Just missed the retail printed box, that is all. Packaging was actually much sturdier (with more protective foam layers etc) than what I would get with the retail box, paperwork and accessories were all included, seemingly brand new, got full warranty.

If you wait for special discounts that do happen typically every 6 months with Canon's refurb store, you can get amazing prices: last two items I got, coincidentally an EOS 6D and a EF 100-400L II, cost me less than the already great prices those would average used in FM B&S fora. With paid shipping and tax.

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:58 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

In all the items I have purchased via the refurb, only one has 19K clicks on it, all the others had less than a couple hundred.

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:03 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Did I overpay for a 6D refurbished?

haleheartless wrote:
I paid $1100 for a Canon 6D refurbished from the Canon Store online today. I've heard great things about the Canon refurbished store so I took a chance. I bought a lens (50/1.4 USM) I don't have the credibility history to buy/set on the Fred Miranda page otherwise I would have looked there.
I felt like a overpaid slightly. I think at this point, the 6D going price is around 850-900 used. In December 2015 apparently the Canon refurbished store had a sale going where the 6D was priced at $999. Even a hundred dollars is a lot to me, a
...Show more

People are, of course, entitled to their own opinions on this issue.

But it is my opinion that the Canon refurb is a very fair price, for all their products. You get an item that's factory-refurbished, with an excellent return policy and a one-year warranty.

Each person has to value that based on his/her own risk aversion. But it's absurd to condemn it as a bad price.

Mark

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password