Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

If you aren't getting sharp photos hh, you need a higher ss.

I can't imagine I'd have to shoot the 5DSR at iso 100. Even old crop bodies are good to at least 800.

I have one old alt 300 that is maybe sharpest at f/11. Certainly very sharp at that aperture.

I thought the D850 had more detail, but more noise in the 12800 comparison to the 5DsR. But I'm not sure where you'd be after NR. Thought the 5DSR looked better, in the test, at least on the portrait that popped up in the test

Edited on Oct 04, 2017 at 10:55 AM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

The 5DS is very impressive, with the AA filter.

I have no regrets getting the S and not the SR.

I remain thrilled with the 5DS.

Oct 04, 2017 at 10:54 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

kosin wrote:
Oh yes, the sharpness of the 5DsR is amazing but this is most likely due to the lack of the AA filter than more megapixels.

I might disagree somewhat with this idea of putting some serious blame on the AA filter. I've had the 5DSR since a few months after it was released and I love it. It's by far the sharpest camera body I've owned, except some of the photos I see on the FM medium-format pages appear sharper(?). BUT about a year ago, I had the AA filter removed on my 6D and while it's noticeably sharper w/o the AA filter, I took some photos (landscape of a lagoon surrounded by a meadow) using a tripod with the same lens, same settings, same scene at nearly the same time using the 5DSR and the 6D w/o the AA filter and the 5DSR really is sharper than the 6D, which is sharper than it used to be, based on when I shot photos in the same place with the 6D before removing the AA filter.

One way I can tell is when I zoom-in, the 6D photo breaks down really quickly, while the 5DSR still holds excellent details and sharpness. However, even without zooming in, the 5DSR photos compared to the 6D photos side-by-side are sharper without a doubt. that's not to say that the 6D photos aren't sharp because they're very sharp, but once you put them side-by-side with the 5DSR photos, they don't look quite as sharp.

Conclusion - more than having or not having an anti-alias filter, the number of megapixels have a larger impact on the sharpness and details of a photo than whether or not it has an AA filter.

Oct 07, 2017 at 09:04 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

You wouldn't have a 5ds to compare to the 5dsr as well? Curious to see how much of a difference the aa filter has for higher and lower mp cameras

billsamuels wrote:
I might disagree somewhat with this idea of putting some serious blame on the AA filter. I've had the 5DSR since a few months after it was released and I love it. It's by far the sharpest camera body I've owned, except some of the photos I see on the FM medium-format pages appear sharper(?). BUT about a year ago, I had the AA filter removed on my 6D and while it's noticeably sharper w/o the AA filter, I took some photos (landscape of a lagoon surrounded by a meadow) using a tripod with the same lens, same settings, same
...Show more

Oct 07, 2017 at 09:10 PM
dreamlander
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Isaacheus wrote:
You wouldn't have a 5ds to compare to the 5dsr as well? Curious to see how much of a difference the aa filter has for higher and lower mp cameras

There are a number of 5DS vs 5DSR photos on the web. I had trouble seeing any real difference in any of them. When I could, it seemed more like aliasing than any real detail.
If I were to pick one, I would have bought the R, but I found a great deal on a used 5DS and haven't really thought about it since.

Oct 09, 2017 at 12:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.