New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

StarNut
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Ever since Nikon came out with their first high-MP FF DSLR, I had pooh-poohed the benefits of more than 22MP.

Then my wife and I planned a trip to Africa to see/photograph the beasties. So I wanted a second body, better than my 7D, to complement my 5D3.

After much thought, I bought a gently-used 5DSR from a reliable local source, in significant part because of the fact that I suspected that I would frequently be focal-length limited, and I wanted the extra reach the 50MP would give me.

Wow!

It's a significant difference in resolution from the 5D3. I'll readily admit that it rarely makes a difference in photos that one might print, and my 5D3 continues to get a lot of use.

But the 5D3 simply is not as sharp as the 5DSR. It doesn't take exceptional technique to realize the benefits.

This is not to say that I would ever consider it worth switching systems for more MP; merely to say that I can easily see the benefits.

Mark

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:05 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

For sure. There is a reason high MP bodies exist.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Colin F
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

StarNut wrote:
But the 5D3 simply is not as sharp as the 5DSR.

AA filter also playing a role?

Yes, I also have really been enjoying the jump from ~20 MP to 30.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Losing the AA (well, sorta @ offset) is a definite part of the equation in conjunction with the extra MP. Imagine what a true NO AA filter @ 50MP would look like.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:46 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

I suppose you might notice a slight difference going from a 5dm3 to a 5dsr

Seriously though, I regret selling mine especially for studio work. The files at base iso paired with a sharp lens are incredible.

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:17 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

sungphoto wrote:
I suppose you might notice a slight difference going from a 5dm3 to a 5dsr

Yeah; I almost bought a 5d4 instead, but I really like the way the 5d3 and 5dsr complement each other, while the 5d4 would just be a better 5d3.

Seriously though, I regret selling mine especially for studio work. The files at base iso paired with a sharp lens are incredible.

Indeed! It's not very good at high-ISO, but it's astonishingly sharp at base ISO, paired with my 500 f/4L IS.

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:02 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Some of the 5D3 copies weren't well known for recording really fine detail at a distance, enough tests have shown that to be the case, so you were behind the proverbial 8 ball right out of the gate potentially with your copy.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:27 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Oh yes, the sharpness of the 5DsR is amazing but this is most likely due to the lack of the AA filter than more megapixels.

Iím impatiently awaiting the announcement of 5DsR mark II as I found the original a bit slow for me

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:38 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Glad you are liking the 5DSR. I enjoyed mine for the 8 months I owned one. What I found is that even though you are never worse off with a high MP camera for noise or motion blur because you can downsize, you did need good technique and good lenses to actually take advantage of the potential hidden in those MPs.

High MP is good for two things IMO, cropping and printing large prints to be viewed at close distance. Say a 40x60 put on a wall where people are free to approach right up to it.

The downside to the 5DSR for my type of shooting was how slow the camera operated and the slow FPS which got even worse as the battery depleted.

I decided to switch to a 5D4 as I just wasn't able to realize the benefit of the 50MPs as much as I wanted to and it wasn't worth putting up with the slow camera. Plus for my type of shooting (and lens/TC combos) having more FPS and f/8 AF on all points was a big benefit.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:56 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

arbitrage wrote:
Glad you are liking the 5DSR. I enjoyed mine for the 8 months I owned one. What I found is that even though you are never worse off with a high MP camera for noise or motion blur because you can downsize, you did need good technique and good lenses to actually take advantage of the potential hidden in those MPs.

High MP is good for two things IMO, cropping and printing large prints to be viewed at close distance. Say a 40x60 put on a wall where people are free to approach right up to it.

The downside to the 5DSR
...Show more

All very fair points. My issues with the 5DSR include a very low effective frame rate (when taking into account the how quickly the buffer fills), and the lackluster high-ISO performance. But I am a sucker for sharpness; my 5D3 is, I think, perfectly sharp, but there's something to be said for that extra detail with beautiful animals. If I were richer, I would love having a 5D4 instead of the 5D3, but I don't have any legitimate complaints with this pair of excellent cameras!

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Extra resolution helps, it adds "depth" to image files.
That is why I use my 24 Mp Rebel T6 whenever possible.

Edited on Oct 03, 2017 at 09:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2017 at 12:13 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

The 5DS R is wickedly, breathtakingly sharp. As long as you shoot everything on a tripod, with mirror locked up, at ISO 100.

/just kidding... a little.

The BSI sensor in the Nikon D850 has the potential to have much better high ISO performance than that current 5DS models, and we know the dynamic range is substantially greater. I'm hoping that the next gen Canon 5DS models make improvements to sensor performance and shooting speed. We will see.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:27 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

garyvot wrote:
The 5DS R is wickedly, breathtakingly sharp. As long as you shoot everything on a tripod, with mirror locked up, at ISO 100.

/just kidding... a little.

The BSI sensor in the Nikon D850 has the potential to have much better high ISO performance than that current 5DS models, and we know the dynamic range is substantially greater. I'm hoping that the next gen Canon 5DS models make improvements to sensor performance and shooting speed. We will see.

I must say the 5DS R holds up quite well against the D850 at ISO 12800:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_eos5dsr&attr13_1=nikon_d850&attr13_2=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr13_3=nikon_d750&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=12800&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=12800&attr16_3=12800&normalization=print&widget=1&x=0.8289748457522545&y=0.1722282225876491

If you are interested, I can show a 100% crop of this image:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1509802/1#14200648

It should be impossible to get anything sharp handheld at that shutter speed, ISO and f-stop (diffraction).

That being said, I welcome higher dynamic range than what the 5DS R gives, at all ISOs, and higher shooting speed, in the next model.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:56 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

After getting a new 5D3 in January 2016 at an amazingly low discount price, I soon realised (after reading more posts up here) that I had made a mistake. I had wanted the 5D3 for four years but found it too expensive for a long time.
Then I asked for a CPS loaner 5DsR and shot it against my new 5D3. I was sorry I bought the 5D3. The 5DsR was just as good in some ways (high ISO), a lot better in some other ways (AF, resolution, added features like anti flicker) and only a tad worse in fps and then of course blackout time. I immediately sold the 5D3 and picked up a 5DsR. Best move I've made in a long time.
I shoot the 5DsR As if it were a 5D3 for many subjects. Then when I need the pixels I have them.

All you need to remember is that you can have either high resolution or high ISO, not both at the same time. That makes this camera not great for shooting sports or birds at low light levels and cropping too. Either of the two works great.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:14 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

I love my 5dsr and am anxiously awating an improved 5dsr (new higher dynamic range sensor, faster buffer clear, more fps, remove the blur/unblur with aa) but really I could call it a day right now and stick with the 5dsr. It outresolves my 7dii at the same distance and I can print really big.

And for my kind of animals (bears, wolf, moose that don't move much) it just gives me the opportunity to crop.

My favourite landscape and wildlife picture 5dsr, zeiss 15/2.8 has so much detail - in 2017.

The original has so much detail

Canon EOS 5DS R    15mm lens    15mm    f/11.0    1/5s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

The detail I can get from his eyes and cropping is fantastic

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT lens    560mm    f/5.6    1/640s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:38 PM
Chimping
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Scott Stoness wrote:
I love my 5dsr and am anxiously awating an improved 5dsr (new higher dynamic range sensor, faster buffer clear, more fps, remove the blur/unblur with aa) but really I could call it a day right now and stick with the 5dsr. It outresolves my 7dii at the same distance and I can print really big.

And for my kind of animals (bears, wolf, moose that don't move much) it just gives me the opportunity to crop.

My favourite landscape and wildlife picture 5dsr, zeiss 15/2.8 has so much detail - in 2017.

Stunning photos!

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:09 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

Waiting for the 5Ds R II is like waiting for your mail-order Russian bride. You would have lonely days and (nights) until it arrives. I need to shoot now, so I would settle with my unattractive and slow 5DsR hoping that I might get some pictures worth printing to maybe 5 X 7 (feet!) to display on my bare living room wall.

I am hoping that my recently acquired 45 TS/E delivers the perspective I am looking for.

Edited on Oct 05, 2017 at 06:16 AM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

garyvot: The 5DS R is wickedly, breathtakingly sharp. As long as you shoot everything on a tripod, with mirror locked up, at ISO 100

I used to have 2 5D3, now have 5DIV and 5DsR. All of my lenses on both bodies are micro-adjusted to the last gnat's ass. I did a 5DsR tripod shot for baseline, then 6 images total, at 3 different shutter speeds, to determine minimum good hand holding speeds, using a 500 F4 II, using a resolution test target. I tested hand held at 1/320, 1/400, and 1/500, then compared to the tripod shot. The chart was 45 feet from the lens.

Then I examined the images at 100% pixels on my computer, and compared to the target. Just by chance, both 1/320, both 1/400, and one 1/500 fully matched the tripod shot in resolution. One 1/500 was very slightly soft.

6 of the 7 images, clearly showed more detail, than I can see while examining the actual target held 18" from my face, while wearing some very well corrected eyeglasses! I was absolutely stunned at the hand held resolution!!

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:30 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

The details from this sensor is amazing!

simply stitched 270MP
1G5A3877-Pano2 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

100% crop of the mountain top
1G5A3877-Pano2-2 by KK Fung, 於 Flickr

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:43 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I'll Admit It: I Was Wrong!

I have to disagree with that assessment, in the comparison at the link you included the 5DS R has much lower contrast and detail resolution than the 850. For example, notice that the individual hairs in the woman's part blur muddle together in the 5DR photo compared to the 850. Also notice the absence of shading differences and contrast in her front teeth that makes them look flat compared to the 850 photo.

Look at the green plastic leaves or the sponge or the black and white sketch and the differences are even greater.

It appears to me that the RAW converter has to use so much noise reduction on the 5DR photo that there is no actual resolution advantage over the 5D3 or the 750, while the 850 is on a completely different level.

alundeb wrote:

I must say the 5DS R holds up quite well against the D850 at ISO 12800:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_eos5dsr&attr13_1=nikon_d850&attr13_2=canon_eos5dmkiii&attr13_3=nikon_d750&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=12800&attr16_1=12800&attr16_2=12800&attr16_3=12800&normalization=print&widget=1&x=0.8289748457522545&y=0.1722282225876491

If you are interested, I can show a 100% crop of this image:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1509802/1#14200648

It should be impossible to get anything sharp handheld at that shutter speed, ISO and f-stop (diffraction).

That being said, I welcome higher dynamic range than what the 5DS R gives, at all ISOs, and higher shooting speed, in the next model.

Oct 04, 2017 at 03:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password