New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

May sound like a strange comparison. I'm a hobbyist and right now I have a D750 with a few prime lenses and a RX100 Mark I. I like my D750 for more "professional" work like portraits and for demanding situations (low light, macros, etc). The fact that I only have prime lenses may tell you what kind of person I am. But even for me having to change the lens in the middle of something, or worse realizing I don't have a focal length I need with me, can be cumbersome.
I actually once tried the King (24-70mm f2.8) but didn't like the IQ I got from it. (A thread I started on DPreview on this matter caused a lot of bad blood.)

I want a zoom lens for its convenience and it costs more than an X-T20, plus the latter comes in a much smaller package compared to the D750+King combo, so I thought I get one as my go to camera. I like the RX100 a lot however after I got a good display I realized the IQ was not that good. Moreover it doesn't have many controls and good luck shooting in manual mode with it.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:05 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

pixlepeeper wrote:
May sound like a strange comparison. I'm a hobbyist and right now I have a D750 with a few prime lenses and a RX100 Mark I. I like my D750 for more "professional" work like portraits and for demanding situations (low light, macros, etc). The fact that I only have prime lenses may tell you what kind of person I am. But even for me having to change the lens in the middle of something, or worse realizing I don't have a focal length I need with me, can be cumbersome.
I actually once tried the King (24-70mm f2.8) but
...Show more

You're certainly not the only one who wasn't happy with the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, and depending on which review you read, the latest version is not necessarily a big improvement.

The Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4 kit lens is surprisingly good, and coupled with an X-T20 it may have you forgetting about buying more lenses for you D750 - and if you decide you don't like it, you will have no trouble selling it.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:31 AM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

As a D810 shooter (+24-70mm and various manual focus primes) I have just bought a X-T20+18-55mm Kit. Only had it a few days but so far loving it. Still setting it up to my liking. I wanted something like this for the following reasons:
1. Smaller lighter for long hikes/mountain trips.
2. Less obtrusive for street/city photography.
3. Something for my wife to learn photography with.

+ I found a fantastic deal on it which I couldn't say no to.

The X-T20 ticked all the boxes. With the manual control it is much easier for my wife to get her head round what is going on. (although she still doesn't get why f2.8 is a larger aperture than f22
I am really liking the way the camera works, bear in mind it will never shoot video or jpegs in my hands and will spend 90% of its time in aperture priority. Really like the way exposure compensation works and how you can see this real time through the evf.
Thought the small viewfinder would be an issue but not finding it so.
Need to work with it more but so far liking what I am seeing after importing into C1.

Not going to get rid of the D810 it is still the best tool for the job when I am shooting landscapes.
But the X-T20 will used for times when I don't want to or it is difficult/inconvenient to carry the nikon.
Plus my wife will have something workable to get her own shots when she has been dragged along to sit on a hillside and wait until the light turns good (which it so often doesn't).

My 10 cents.

Cheers,
Terry.
PS/
I really like my 24-70mm f2.8

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:11 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

I'd personally get a XT2 over the XT20... XT20 is simply too small to fit comfortably in my average sized hands, and the EVF while decent, is much, much smaller than the XT2 EVF, which at 0.77x mag, is actually larger than your D750. Its simply an amazing EVF

Likewise, the XT2 has some very handy features like the dedicated ISO dial, the focus joystick, the LCD that hinges out to the side, bigger batteries etc, while still being a very compact camera.

You can get a XT2 for $1200 or less used these days, so its not a huge cost difference over the XT20, which being newer is hard to find used.

Don't get me wrong, the XT20 isn't a bad camera, it has the great sensor and nearly all the XT2 features, even a touch LCD which is cool, but its not that much cheaper honestly.

Your mileage certainly may vary, but I tried the XT20 for a day, and quickly went back to my XT2, which for me, is about as small as a camera can get while still handling properly.

XT20 is a hold in the fingertips camera, while the XT2 is just enough bigger to by able to wrap my hand around properly. Still massively smaller than your D750...

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:54 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

Thanks for your answers. One question I forgot to mention is whether you can use non-Fuji off camera flashes with a Fuji. All the remotes that I've seen are for Nikon, Canon or Sony. Or maybe that's for TTL only? My flashes are Adorama brand.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

pixlepeeper wrote:
Thanks for your answers. One question I forgot to mention is whether you can use non-Fuji off camera flashes with a Fuji. All the remotes that I've seen are for Nikon, Canon or Sony. Or maybe that's for TTL only? My flashes are Adorama brand.

Are your Adorama flashes from the R2 family? If so, take a look at the transmitter. As I understand it, this should give you ttl with any R2 flash. I could be wrong, though. The transmitter can be found here:

https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2tf.html

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

If you have the R2 flashes, then pick up the TT350 F for Fuji to use as a small on-camera flash and it will work as a transmitter for your current flashes.

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminifu.html

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:53 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

pixlepeeper wrote:
The fact that I only have prime lenses may tell you what kind of person I am.

Hi there.
Your nickname speaks a lot as well, he-he ))
I can see two more options.
1) You may consider a photo kit of 2 Nikon bodies if you can take out both of them for shooting. Get D610 and have 2 primes that will be most used during your shooting session. So you stay with your beloved primes and get far less lens changes yet in expense of weight factor.
2) You may consider Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC II or Sigma 24-105/4 OS Art zoom lenses as you go-to set up. Still better than Nikon 24-70/2.8 VR and much cheaper.

If you are so picky about IQ (and def you are), Fuji 18-55 kit lens will disappoint you no doubt. It is good but not perfect.

Oct 01, 2017 at 07:14 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

Thanks I didn't know about the Sigma. Are you saying it delivers better images than does the Nikon even though it covers a wider millimeter range?

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:58 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

While the Tamron and Sigma lenses above are good lenses, they are MUCH larger/heavier than the Fuji 18-55.

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:51 AM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

jrscls wrote:
While the Tamron and Sigma lenses above are good lenses, they are MUCH larger/heavier than the Fuji 18-55.

If I get it right, pixlepeeper values IQ more than shooting convenience. So Tamron/Sigma are still an option.

One thing I def know is that Sigma 24-105/4 Art outperforms Canon 24-105/4 L. U may find some reviews over the web.

Oct 01, 2017 at 11:10 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

Now how do you compare the X-T20 or X-T2 to RX100 in terms of low light performance, flare resistance and general IQ? As an old proverb says:

An image with sub par IQ is better than no image.

Oct 02, 2017 at 05:25 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-T20 vs a zoom lens for my D750

Pixlepeeper, I've always purchased all of the zooms and purchased primes for very specific needs.

The way I view photography is to achieve max IQ every single time

If your wanting a small form factor camera the Fuji system is very good for available light photography. I still have an incredibly strong preference to mirrored bodies for ULTRA reliable auto focus in pitch dark, low light photography using bounced flash, remote flash for events. This is where my fuji X-t2 fails me in AF hunting in low contrast, low light even when using the white LED focus assist on my Fuji EF-X500 OEM flash $$$. I'll be adding some cheaper Godox hss/ttl flash units and triggers. However my go to no brainer system for paid events is still my mirrored bodies for rock solid reliable AF.

If you want distinct flash burst stars in remote flash work I still feel the Mirrored bodies seem to provide the sharp points in the stars over all of my fuji lenses I own. Mind you I should try shooting more remote flash with my Fuji but I'm not satisfied with the hunting in low light. Some fuji shooters will manually tweak focus when hunting occurs. I just appreciate concentrating on composition and catching peoples emotions in stressful fast paced events rather than chasing a problem in acquiring auto focus.

IMO if your wanting your Nikon to meet your needs for all of your application I'd suggest getting the lens you "NEED" for your mirrored body. Later worry about getting your secondary camera system for your small form factor needs. If anything if your pushing for more professional direction I'd even suggest buying another mirrored Nikon body to utilize your Nikon lenses for versatility and backup.

If your retaining more of a happy hobbyist mode play with Fuji to see if it jives with your style. Killer image quality from an APS-C crop sensor. In good light the AF is very good.

Close proximity shooting in AF-C mode in my X-t2 cannot keep up to my 5d3 or 5d4. I still find my Canon gear (or even your D750) can track a kid on a swing much better than my X-T2.

Fuji is is extremely dependent on AF speed of the lens that is mounted to the body. Nikon or Canon I would say most lenses are very fast focusing.

I'd borrow or rent fuji before dipping into it heavily. You just have to see if it meets your application.

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:49 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.