New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

My Fuji GF 23mm f4 arrived yesterday, and as expected, the Lee 82mm WA adapter ring won't thread onto the front of the lens. Lee has introduced an adapter ring specifically for this lens, but I haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know of a North American retailer that has these adapter rings in stock?

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:54 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

I know. I ended up moving over to Nisi, and I have to say they are a step-up.

No color cast with their ND filters, even with stacking them.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:54 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

fishjump wrote:

Not interested in trying other filter brands - just looking for an adapter ring for my current filters that will fit my lens.

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:16 AM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

Hey! Only trying to save you time and grief. There have been a lot of people looking for a ring for the 23mm, and AFAIK they don't exist.

One person (I think it was on the GFX Facebook page) that machined his own, or adapted another ring. Only to find that once he mounted the CP on the front of the holder, it vignetted.

BTW, Hitech also make a filter holder, I have both, but prefer the NISI. BUT they all accept any brand of 100mm x 100/150mm filters.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:46 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

fishjump wrote:
Hey! Only trying to save you time and grief. There have been a lot of people looking for a ring for the 23mm, and AFAIK they don't exist.

One person (I think it was on the GFX Facebook page) that machined his own, or adapted another ring. Only to find that once he mounted the CP on the front of the holder, it vignetted.

BTW, Hitech also make a filter holder, I have both, but prefer the NISI. BUT they all accept any brand of 100mm x 100/150mm filters.

Does Nisi make a Lee system adapter ring for the GF 23mm f4?

Lee makes one, but stores outside the UK don't seem to be aware of it yet.

http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/custom-filter-holders

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:30 AM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

It just came out so I suspect you'll see it show up soon.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:55 AM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

Interesting on Lee now making an adapter ring. I'll be in the UK in about 3 weeks, and I'll try to check them out. Although I'm still not sure if there is a problem when you add the CP on the end of holder?

No, both the Formatt Hitech and Nisi systems both come with 3 adapter rings in the set, and are not compatible with the Lee system (only the actual filters work). The CP is also included in their respective base system, and in both cases, the CP is set immediately in front of the lens itself.

I went a step further, and purchased 2 additional special Nisi adapter rings, and 3 Nisi lens caps (I think Hitech also has this, but not the caps). This allows me to store each of my 3 Fuji G lens with the rings already installed. I then only have to snap on the filter holder to the end as needed.

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:51 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

I have a pretty big investment in Lee filters and holders - I really don't want to add another filter system just for one lens.

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

molson wrote:
My Fuji GF 23mm f4 arrived yesterday, and as expected, the Lee 82mm WA adapter ring won't thread onto the front of the lens. Lee has introduced an adapter ring specifically for this lens, but I haven't been able to find one. Does anyone know of a North American retailer that has these adapter rings in stock?

Why not fire off an email asking Lee on the status? For something like this though, I'd be fine with ordering from abroad, if you've been able to see foreign retailers with it in stock. Otherwise it's probably just a matter of patience, infuriating as be.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:08 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

Pavel wrote:
Why not fire off an email asking Lee on the status? For something like this though, I'd be fine with ordering from abroad, if you've been able to see foreign retailers with it in stock. Otherwise it's probably just a matter of patience, infuriating as be.

Most UK camera stores are carrying the adapter ring and I was tempted to order one from Robert White until I discovered the cost of shipping from the UK (46) is more than the cost of the adapter ring itself (43)

I emailed B&H but haven't received a reply yet. I called The Camera Store in Calgary, and they said they have no plans to carry the adapter ring (even though they are the biggest Fuji retailer in Canada).

Edited on Oct 01, 2017 at 03:32 PM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

molson wrote:
I don't think Lee are going to tell me which North American stores have ordered stock, so I'm not sure what good it would do to email them...

Most UK camera stores are carrying the adapter ring and I was tempted to order one from Robert White until I discovered the cost of shipping from the UK (46) is more than the cost of the adapter ring itself (43)

I emailed B&H but haven't received a reply yet. I called The Camera Store in Calgary, and they said they have no plans to carry the adapter ring (even though they are the
...Show more

I am sure B & H will carry them eventually. They even carry the special ring for my Hasselblad IF CFE 40 f/4, which is aspecial ring that only works for that lens, so I would have to think they would carry the one for the new Fuji as well.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:27 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

I did track down what appears to be the Lee Filters Canada distributor (a company called Technically Yours, Inc.) and have sent them an email requesting info on the availability of the adapter ring.

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:31 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

Technically Yours Inc. (Lee Filters Canada distributor) just got three of the new adapter ring this morning.

They weren't even aware it existed when I first contacted them; it sounds like Lee UK have not done a very good job getting the word out to their various overseas distributors. I have one adapter on the way to me, but they have two more left.

http://tyi.ca

B&H expects to have some towards the end of October:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365403-REG/lee_filters_argf23_fuji_lm_gf23mm_adaptor.html

Oct 02, 2017 at 03:30 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

Have you received (and tried) the ring? I'm hearing others who have both this and the 82mm, say they are very similar, and that both work on the 23mm.

Oct 12, 2017 at 08:16 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

fishjump wrote:
Have you received (and tried) the ring? I'm hearing others who have both this and the 82mm, say they are very similar, and that both work on the 23mm.

I received it yesterday, and it fits great. The normal Lee 82mm WA adapter ring would not thread onto the lens, so it is not useable.

The 82mm non-WA ring would probably fit, but I don't have one, and I imagine it would vignette with such a wide lens.

The differences are subtle, but the 82mm WA ring contacts the metal lugs for the lens hood before the filter threads engage. The new ring clears the hood lugs and threads on without issue.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:21 PM
airfang

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

Great! I literally just posted this question on B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1365403-REG/lee_filters_argf23_fuji_lm_gf23mm_adaptor.html

before bumping into this thread.

Does the one that fits GF 23mm work on other lenses too? Or I'd have to carry both 82mm adaptors?

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:56 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

airfang wrote:
Great! I literally just posted this question on B&H:

before bumping into this thread.

Does the one that fits GF 23mm work on other lenses too? Or I'd have to carry both 82mm adaptors?

I don't see why the GF23 adapter wouldn't work on other lenses that have the 82mm filter thread - all Lee did was to increase the clearance around the threads.

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:09 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

Didn't realize this lens was out I know a lot of people were waiting on it.

Oct 28, 2017 at 02:38 PM
hauxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

fishjump wrote:

I did have a look at the Nisi system recently and it seems to be quality stuff. I also handled Kase (japanese I think) and Wine Country Camera. All pretty solid actually.

This Nisi and Kase filters are thinner (2mm) than the Lee filters (3mm). Don't know if you can fit Lee filters or Singh-ray to a Nisi/Kase holder but the thinner filters are a bit loose in the Lee holder ( but don't fall out).

Regarding the color cast of the Lee ND filters I understand they are intentionally that way to minimize IR. Not too hard to correct in post but still tiresome. My Lee 0.9 hard grad has a magenta cast that seems to magnify when used in conjunction with the Big Stopper. So for me I'd rather have uncolored image and potential problems with IR which I haven't heard anyone complaining about with Nisi or Kase.

Regarding the polariser Lee has two, one thinner specially made called Landscape Polariser that should not vignette until about 16mm FF eqv. The regular one vignettes at 24mm eqv.

At the moment I'm considering switching over to Kase (to use with my X-T2).

Oct 30, 2017 at 04:46 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji GF 23mm f4 Lee Filter Adapter

hauxon wrote:
I did have a look at the Nisi system recently and it seems to be quality stuff. I also handled Kase (japanese I think) and Wine Country Camera. All pretty solid actually.

This Nisi and Kase filters are thinner (2mm) than the Lee filters (3mm). Don't know if you can fit Lee filters or Singh-ray to a Nisi/Kase holder but the thinner filters are a bit loose in the Lee holder ( but don't fall out).

Regarding the color cast of the Lee ND filters I understand they are intentionally that way to minimize IR. Not too hard to correct in
...Show more

I've stayed away from the Nisi filters due to some bad reviews (they scratch very easily, and and don't actually provide the advertised amount of density). The colour cast on the Lee Big Stopper is a nuisance, but very easy to fix; it's not noticeable on the Little Stopper.

With the different thickness potentially causing problems using my existing filters and holders I have even more reluctance to try Nisi (and they haven't sent me any free filters, like they did with all the online reviewers), but if you were starting out with no existing collection of filters, they might be okay.

Oct 30, 2017 at 05:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password