New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

chiron
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

How would one go about testing a Sony 100-400mm zoom to get a sense of whether it is decently centered, as sharp as it should be, and whether the autofocus is working properly (I remember Fred and a couple of other forum members had an intermittent AF problems with some early samples--I haven't heard much more about it lately).

I plan to take a bunch of pictures in different situations and then to see what I think. But I would also like to do something a little more controlled and systematic.

One of the problems in testing the lens is that I don't want to mount the lens on a tripod because I fear that the Arca mounting plate will leave marks on the lens, which would then make it nonreturnable. I guess I could improvise a cradle that would let the lens rest steady without using a tripod.

Any suggestions for a reasonable assessment protocol would be appreciated.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Parariss
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

Lots (and lots) of threads on this topic already, including this one just barely off the first page...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1488364/0?keyword=Kasson,test#14194382

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:26 PM
chiron
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

Parariss wrote:
Lots (and lots) of threads on this topic already, including this one just barely off the first page...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1488364/0?keyword=Kasson,test#14194382

Yes, of course. I've read those threads. I think you may have missed the point of my question, which was to ask for ideas on how to test a multi-focal length long lens that you don't want to hook up to an arca mount and to a tripod (so that it doesn't get scratched up, making it impossible to return). With shorter lenses, one is mounting one's own camera on the tripod plate rather than the lens itself.

Anyway, I decided to work around the scratching issue by being careful and inserting a microfiber cloth between the arca plate and the lens's foot. The threads on the foot don't seem to show any marks from the mounting.

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:58 AM
bwcolor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

I purchased mine to shoot sports. So, that is how I tested it. This enabled me to develop settings and shooting strategies that worked for me. After a few outings I was able to decide if it met my expectations. If I purchased it to shoot high resolution landscapes, I might tripod mount, test centering..etc. as per many posts on this board.

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:31 PM
JimKasson

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

chiron wrote:
Yes, of course. I've read those threads. I think you may have missed the point of my question, which was to ask for ideas on how to test a multi-focal length long lens that you don't want to hook up to an arca mount and to a tripod (so that it doesn't get scratched up, making it impossible to return). With shorter lenses, one is mounting one's own camera on the tripod plate rather than the lens itself.

Anyway, I decided to work around the scratching issue by being careful and inserting a microfiber cloth between the arca plate and the
...Show more

I have done my Siemens Star test handheld with short lenses, and it works fine. If you want to do it with really long lens, I think you'd want to crank up the ISO so you can shoot at 1/8000. You'll need to rest the camera on something steady to focus it -- even OSS/IBIS won't be accurate enough for critical focusing at 400 mm handheld.

Jim

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:34 PM
chiron
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

JimKasson wrote:
I have done my Siemens Star test handheld with short lenses, and it works fine. If you want to do it with really long lens, I think you'd want to crank up the ISO so you can shoot at 1/8000. You'll need to rest the camera on something steady to focus it -- even OSS/IBIS won't be accurate enough for critical focusing at 400 mm handheld.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. That's a good suggestion. The star test would tell me most of what I wanted to know, it's easy to take outside for the bright light. And the high ISO wouldn't hurt the interpretability of the results. Thank you.

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

swldstn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

It might be a little expensive, $80, but you could use either the RRS or Kirk Arca-swiss boot for the 100-400 and not mark it up at all. Then you can cleanly mount it on a ball head or gimbal without any problems.
If you don't keep the lens you can sell the foot on FM without a problem I would think.

Steve W

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:29 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

JimKasson wrote:

Jim

Have you done any testing of IBIS and OSS effectiveness at long focal lengths like 400mm (or even 560mm with 1.4xTC)? I'm wondering if it helps as much at these focal lengths as at more normal focal lengths which I recall you have thouroughly tested.

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:01 AM
chiron
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

swldstn wrote:
It might be a little expensive, $80, but you could use either the RRS or Kirk Arca-swiss boot for the 100-400 and not mark it up at all. Then you can cleanly mount it on a ball head or gimbal without any problems.
If you don't keep the lens you can sell the foot on FM without a problem I would think.

Steve W

Good idea. I'm planning on keeping a copy of this lens one way or another, so if wanted to keep it I would have a use for it. Thank you.

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:04 AM
JimKasson

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

virtualrain wrote:
Have you done any testing of IBIS and OSS effectiveness at long focal lengths like 400mm (or even 560mm with 1.4xTC)? I'm wondering if it helps as much at these focal lengths as at more normal focal lengths which I recall you have thoroughly tested.

I'm sorry. I would have liked to perform those tests, but I have no good way to do slanted edge testing at the required distances. If there's enough interest, I could see if I could rig something up.

My only 400mm lens is an f/2.8 and is not handholdable. My 500 is an f/4 and is also not practical to handhold. I have the Sony 100-400 on order, though.

Jim

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:54 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to test a Sony 100-400mm Zoom?

JimKasson wrote:
I'm sorry. I would have liked to perform those tests, but I have no good way to do slanted edge testing at the required distances. If there's enough interest, I could see if I could rig something up.

My only 400mm lens is an f/2.8 and is not handholdable. My 500 is an f/4 and is also not practical to handhold. I have the Sony 100-400 on order, though.

Jim

Well I can't speak for others but I would be very interested in any testing you do with the 100-400... especially as far as stabilization is concerned when hand holding. I look forward to you getting this lens

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password