New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

D850 issue?

asnapper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850 issue?

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170929_0936-NikonD850-flange-focal-distance-defect.html

Lloyd Chambers has an issue with the D850 he has been loaned, has anyone who has been fortunate to receive their D850 encountered the same problem?

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:16 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850 issue?

After reading his post I fail to grasp the magnitude of the issue as he sees it.. (he's either being dramatic or I'm missing something) either way my hope is it's a one off.

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:24 PM
gpelpel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850 issue?

Doesn't the horizontal line below the infinity sign mean that infinity is within the line range?

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:31 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850 issue?

Don't see the issue on my D850, with two of my Zeiss lenses, 35mm Distagon f/1.4 and 50mm Makro-Planar, both of which have hard infinity stops that can't be focused past that like the newer Zeiss lenses he's testing with.

Here's a full 45MP image with my Zeiss 50MP at infinity. Razor sharp: Image

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:32 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850 issue?

click bait

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:36 PM
protikh

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850 issue?

snapsy wrote:
Don't see the issue on my D850, with two of my Zeiss lenses, 35mm Distagon f/1.4 and 50mm Makro-Planar, both of which have hard infinity stops that can't be focused past that like the newer Zeiss lenses he's testing with.

Here's a full 45MP image with my Zeiss 50MP at infinity. Razor sharp: Image

Your image definitely looks very sharp at infinity.

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:39 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850 issue?

I was just about to conclude the other day that the D850 must be perfection since not even Lloyd Chambers has found something to dramatize over.

He always find something, doesn't he?

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:54 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850 issue?

The HUGE/REAL/TERRIFYING issue I just found?.. my D850 isn't shipping this week! 😡

That's the real issue!

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850 issue?

Stoffer wrote:
I was just about to conclude the other day that the D850 must be perfection since not even Lloyd Chambers has found something to dramatize over.

Yes he almost always does. Sometimes something significant and global. Sometimes a one off or very rare.

We will see what he finds in his own copy he says is coming soon. Seems he thinks it is most likely poor QC that let this camera through to the public. Will others be able to replicate this problem....likely someone will.....also likely most won't have the issue. I would highly doubt it will be a general issue needing recall.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850 issue?

The only conclusion he can draw is his tested D850 flange distance is out of spec.

One thing for sure is My Zeiss lenses has no perfect infinity mark. my OTUS 55 has the exact same infinity mark on D850 and D810 and DF. (all slightly before infinity)

and my OTUS need AF fine tune with D850 for focus confirmation dot work correctly, not an issue to me though.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D850 issue?

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D850 issue?

Stoffer wrote:

I thought I saw that he already ranted against touch screen in his d850 post. His main complain was that touch screen and sunblock does not mix and he needed his sunblock. Hmmm...he could access any function on the camera without touching touch screen so why was he so upset. I don't read his post much but wonder if he complained about the same thing on X1D?

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D850 issue?

Blakehfreeman wrote:
After reading his post I fail to grasp the magnitude of the issue as he sees it.. (he's either being dramatic or I'm missing something) either way my hope is it's a one off.

Lloyd gets pretty hysterical about everything these days... pure click bait.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:00 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D850 issue?

zhangyue wrote:
The only conclusion he can draw is his tested D850 flange distance is out of spec.

One thing for sure is My Zeiss lenses has no perfect infinity mark. my OTUS 55 has the exact same infinity mark on D850 and D810 and DF. (all slightly before infinity)

and my OTUS need AF fine tune with D850 for focus confirmation dot work correctly, not an issue to me though.

How do you fine tune Otus with the focus confirmation dot. Mine is a bit off with Otus 85/1.4 as well.
While focusing with LCD screen works fine, I really wish that I can use the OVF as well.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:01 AM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D850 issue?

suteetat wrote:
How do you fine tune Otus with the focus confirmation dot. Mine is a bit off with Otus 85/1.4 as well.
While focusing with LCD screen works fine, I really wish that I can use the OVF as well.

You can use my DotTune technique. It's primarily meant for AF lenses but works with MF lenses as well. The only issue is that the confirmation range is a bit wider for MF lenses because Nikon intentionally adds some slop to make it faster to focus them to the dot.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:16 AM
tek9

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D850 issue?

Checked mine with 6 different lenses. Zero issues.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:43 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D850 issue?

snapsy wrote:
You can use my DotTune technique. It's primarily meant for AF lenses but works with MF lenses as well. The only issue is that the confirmation range is a bit wider for MF lenses because Nikon intentionally adds some slop to make it faster to focus them to the dot.

Thanks, for the link, Snapsy. I will try this later on today when I have more time.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:51 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D850 issue?

suteetat wrote:

LV focus first, turn off LV, watch through OVF and dot, if it has arrow turn on, depend on its front or back focus, adjust fine tune until it is solid and match LV focusing. You don't need take a single image during whole process.

Also a tip, depend on your focus habit, (and you want always use one way for quick manual focusing) for precision focusing, I always go from MFD to infinity. So you want whenever dot start turn solid will be the perfect focusing fine tune location. This way works especially well for all older Nikon bodies so that you are less sensitive to wide range of confirmation dot. (I prefer this one than peaking actually in field.)

This tip is less necessary for D850 (though still helpful for lens is not super sharp), the dot confirmation seems perform quite well under all condition I tested so far, I am pretty sure manual focus confirmation is improved on D850 compare to any other Nikon body I used.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:52 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D850 issue?

I'm having trouble believing he didn't know this was a one-off problem (and I think we'd already be hearing if it wasn't). It's not to my taste to publicly blast people about problems before you've given them the chance to fix them (or explain to you what you're overlooking, in some cases); I wish Mr Chambers did less of that.

But yeah, there's no way this camera should've passed QC.

Except...how did the owner not notice he had a camera that couldn't infinity focus?

gpelpel wrote:
Doesn't the horizontal line below the infinity sign mean that infinity is within the line range?

I've read that extra space is there because certain optical layouts can be impacted enough by extreme temperatures to move the focus points.

I don't know if that's true. But it can't all be to allow that much tolerance in the lens mounts - that's a huge amount and it would cause alllll sorts of issues.

suteetat wrote:
I don't read his post much but wonder if he complained about the same thing on X1D?

No, he adores the X1D. He hates the GFX though, so he may have mentioned it there.

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:27 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D850 issue?

zhangyue wrote:
LV focus first, turn off LV, watch through OVF and dot, if it has arrow turn on, depend on its front or back focus, adjust fine tune until it is solid and match LV focusing. You don't need take a single image during whole process.

Also a tip, depend on your focus habit, (and you want always use one way for quick manual focusing) for precision focusing, I always go from MFD to infinity. So you want whenever dot start turn solid will be the perfect focusing fine tune location. This way works especially well for all older Nikon bodies
...Show more

Thanks for the tip. While I find I have no problem with my Otus 28/1.4, my Otus 85/1.4, Noct Nikkor 58/1.2 and Zeiss 135/2 definitely can use more fine tuning.

Edited on Sep 30, 2017 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password