New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

rgollar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

Hope these specs really pan out. It would be awesome to have a crop body with no aa filter. I see the crop wont be 1.6 but 1.4 but if that helps with the dynamic range im good with it. 30mb at 12fps is very appealing to me also
But its just rumors so who know but it is a exciting body if there true.
https://www.dailycameranews.com/2017/09/first-canon-7d-mark-iii-specs-leaked-web/

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:44 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

I doubt that the rumored 1.4 crop of the physical 1.6 crop sensor size has any impact on dynamic range. Also my impression is that the video enthusiast crowd is usually very critical of cameras with a video angle of view that’s less than that of the physical sensor.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

It also stated a 90D might be in the works for 2018. Canon is running out of numbers so maybe the XXD series will have to put up with the silly MK II/III moniker (91D probably won't cut it).

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:54 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

30MP crammed into a 1.6x sensor doesn't bode well for noise control.
But if they do throw 30MP at 12FPS I will give one a try for sure.

That is 76.8MP FF sensor equivalent.

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

You'd have to be more careful to control micro blur. Not sure I'd need 30 but no AA filter would work for me.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:20 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

Doesnt make a lot of sense when compared to the 1DxII specifications.....

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:46 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

[CR0]

EBH

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:52 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

arbitrage wrote:
Me too
360 MP/s could happen but with what chips at what price? (Dual Digic7)?
1Dx2 is at ~300 MP/s (Dual Digic 6+)
5D4 is at 210 MP/sec, (Digic 6+)
5Ds 250 MP/sec (Dual Digic 6)
6D2 170 MP/s (Single Digic 7)

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:02 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

1.4 crop talk about desperation for clicks.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:37 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

Nowhere does it say 1.4x crop for stills - only for video.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

AJSJones wrote:
Me too
360 MP/s could happen but with what chips at what price? (Dual Digic7)?
1Dx2 is at ~300 MP/s (Dual Digic 6+)
5D4 is at 210 MP/sec, (Digic 6+)
5Ds 250 MP/sec (Dual Digic 6)
6D2 170 MP/s (Single Digic 7)

It's a bit of a stretch but not infeasible with a new DIGIC generation. That throughput would also be right in line with a 60-70MP 5DSR2 at 5-6 fps.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:55 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

Greg Schneider wrote:
Nowhere does it say 1.4x crop for stills - only for video.

It’s close to what you might get if you used 16:9 and 4-pixel binning for RGBG values for each pixel of output (or more complex processing for max detail as well as colour fidelity). This has been a dream for a while, instead of line-skipping and information throwaway - with 360 MP/s processing capability, it could happen. However, in a crop camera first?

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:12 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

Either way I have read about and took the 80D for a test run. There is something special about that sensor and I expect it to be at least as good if not better - which it should be. I know the 7D2 has a mechanism to reduce mirror slap but the 80D has a different geared design. The cam store told me that when I said it sounded weird. I did look it up. Not sure if that design can handle 10 FPS. Not sure what the 1DX or 1DXII does there.

Everyone laughed this video off but some established photogs have mentioned the issue about AF slightly missing now and then. At one time there was some speculation about a bit of mirror slap at 10 FPS perhaps is causing this.

I had my finger on the buy button about 20 times for the D500 which I found impressive but decided I don't dislike Canon, like the ergonomics better and I like my Canon glass. Too much if a hit to change for me. I am shooting with my 5D4 almost exclusively these days.

Sep 30, 2017 at 09:44 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

arbitrage wrote:
30MP crammed into a 1.6x sensor doesn't bode well for noise control.

That is 76.8MP FF sensor equivalent.

1. People have been saying that about increased sensor noise and more photo site density for about two decades now whenever a higher density sensor came out. But cameras today, including those with the highest site density invariably produce lower noise images. :-)

2. There have been pretty solid rumors of sensors with 70+ MP for full frame cameras, so nearly 80 isn't at all surprising.

3. Odds are that you are not going to get that at a super-high frame rate — not in high resolution full frame cameras and certainly not in a less-expensive cropped sensor body.

4. Dollars to donuts, Canon isn't about to introduce a new 1.4x crop factor for still images — for lots of reasons that I won't go into here.

Dan

Edited on Sep 30, 2017 at 12:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:01 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

I think these specs are simply made up. Another case of the clickbait

It looks like 1.4x crop is for video only: "4K video/30p 1.4x"
So it will be a 1.4x crop of the 1.6x sensor!

If that's the case, again it will be useless for most of the video folks as this will be 2x crop of full frame camera and will be hard to shoot wide angle. Same problem as with 5DIV.

Also, why Canon would introduce CFast card to this camera if it shoots only 4K at 30fps. At this frame rate, it is possible to write to the old CF card. 1DXII and 5DIV does it without any problems.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

I agree about the 1.4x crop. Won't happen. As for FPS I hard tough time deciding about the 5D4. 30 megapixels and only 7 FPS. I'm very happy with it but 10 would have been perfection.

I just thought of something else. I posted a while ago that I seamy FPS to 8 on my 7D2 to save on resources and some questioned that which was informative for me. Another reason i did that was to see if my keeper rate would improve. I forgot about that as I'm getting old. The video I posted and some conversations about that prompted me to try it. I never tested between 8 and 10 to get any objective results. About the time of those conversations I started using my 5D4 almost all of the time.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

The 1.4x crop is video only. The D500 has a similar horrible crop on its 4K video. So I could see that becoming true. Canon obviously doesn't want to give decent 4K to its DSLRs. The 1DX2 would be decent if it had a proper codec as the crop isn't too bad and it does 60FPS. The crop on the 5D4 along with the m-jpeg files is just not useful.

SD UHS-II is faster than the best UDMA 7 CF. Why not just make things simple and stick two of those slots in the camera? Or move onto CFExpress?

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:21 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

arbitrage wrote:
The 1.4x crop is video only. The D500 has a similar horrible crop on its 4K video. So I could see that becoming true. Canon obviously doesn't want to give decent 4K to its DSLRs. The 1DX2 would be decent if it had a proper codec as the crop isn't too bad and it does 60FPS. The crop on the 5D4 along with the m-jpeg files is just not useful.

SD UHS-II is faster than the best UDMA 7 CF. Why not just make things simple and stick two of those slots in the camera? Or move onto CFExpress?

I was very surprised that 5DIV didn't come with a CFast or at least SD UHS-II slot... Oh well, Canon and its catch up game

At this point, Canon is way behind Nikon, especially after the introduction of D850. Let's hope that 7DIII will bring more goodies than these rumored specs. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually 7DIII comes with a slightly newer version of 1DXII's AF system. To 1DXII fanboys, keyword here is "newer", not necessarily better, so don't go after me here

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:02 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

Herb wrote:
Doesnt make a lot of sense when compared to the 1DxII specifications.....

But does save a lot of Dollars! :-)

Oct 01, 2017 at 11:13 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hope theres some truth to the rumors of the 7dm3

Zenon Char wrote:
Either way I have read about and took the 80D for a test run. There is something special about that sensor and I expect it to be at least as good if not better - which it should be. I know the 7D2 has a mechanism to reduce mirror slap but the 80D has a different geared design. The cam store told me that when I said it sounded weird. I did look it up. Not sure if that design can handle 10 FPS. Not sure what the 1DX or 1DXII does there.

Everyone laughed this video off but some
...Show more

If I remember correctly that guy ran the body and lens uncalibrated. Then complained about focus. A slightly out of calibration setup at that pixel density mimics the exact focus problems he reported.

Oct 01, 2017 at 12:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.