FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · An Oasis Spared

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An Oasis Spared

Following the recent catastrophic wildfires in the Columbia River Gorge, we now know we have had massive tragic losses to precious special places... but some of the newest aerial photography seems to show hope that some other very special areas might be spared too.

Here is a repost (and slight re tweak) of an image I took about 5 years ago, of a lesser visited falls in the Gorge which, on this river, the more hearty explorer / scrambler can find oasis after oasis if they can find ways to continue upriver (or as the "waterfall hunters" do the opposite by hiking the ridges many hard miles in, then descend down to the rivers, then rappel down the waterfalls and then continuing downward).

This area looks like it might be spared according to my sources. So, although some of our favorites like Punchbowl, Weaping Walls, Metlako, Sorenson Falls and countless others now may be toast, the Gorge is not done interacting with those who want to get out there and do the fun work of exploring.

From what I hear the heart of the Gorge may not open until next year.

All the best to you and Great Light to you!

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An Oasis Spared

Mark
Repost or not - this is a classic example of your work. The foreground rock is "all that" and more.

Todd

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:20 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · An Oasis Spared

This is wonderful, that foreground rock is genius.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · An Oasis Spared

tmiller9 wrote:
Mark
Repost or not - this is a classic example of your work. The foreground rock is "all that" and more.

Todd

I really respect and appreciate your feedback here Todd. Thank you! Looks like this one MIGHT not have gotten ruined. Not sure yet. I have some friends scouting.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:50 AM
erielake
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · An Oasis Spared

great comp from a beautiful location.....hope it's still just as pristine

Oct 01, 2017 at 05:56 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.