Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

My Lenovo desktop is outlasting its usefulness with the demands of large image files (both megapixels and volume of images) from 5DsR, Sony a7R2 and Nikon D800e. I don't think laptop is a great solution for me as I prefer larger monitors, at least two.

I'm not against all-in-one models like the Apple 27" 5K or Dell set-up. I'd rather stay with PC, but not completely against switching to Mac if that's best for longevity.

As I say, I'm currently using desktop PC, two monitors, Win 8 and major use of LR, Microsoft Office, etc.

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:59 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Probably worth waiting a few weeks for the new Intel architecture to hit the streets. At least in the PC world. It'll be a while before Apple update their models i expect.

Are you willing to build your own, or do you want a pre-built?

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

15Bit wrote:
Probably worth waiting a few weeks for the new Intel architecture to hit the streets. At least in the PC world. It'll be a while before Apple update their models i expect.

Are you willing to build your own, or do you want a pre-built?

Good idea about holding off a bit. Perhaps some great deals on previous models at that time.

I wanted a pre-built, just upping the RAM if needed -- looking for 32GB.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:16 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Gunzorro wrote:
Good idea about holding off a bit. Perhaps some great deals on previous models at that time.

I wanted a pre-built, just upping the RAM if needed -- looking for 32GB.

You will get a much better system for the money if you go custom - I imagine there are several shops around you that can build to spec, no? Where I am, I just send a list of parts & price beats/matches, and 1-2 days later I have a perfectly built & tested PC.

The other thing I would recommend is getting a proper photo editing monitor with hardware calibration and a 14bit LUT rather than 4K/5K. IMHO accuracy is a lot more important than having the most resolution, which doesn't always scale well with other software and is extremely demanding on graphics if usage changes to games or similar. 27" and 1440P seems to be the sweet spot.

I would wait for the i7-8700K if you aren't in a rush and if you don't do much that can take advantage of more than 6 cores.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:33 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

With the new CPU architecture coming, i suspect there might be bargains to be had on the current quad cores. Something based on an i7-7700 or 7700K would be ideal, and probably a fair bit cheaper than a new i7-8700K setup. You'd be missing 2 cores, but given the current scaling efficiency of LR and PS i don't think you'll notice.

You just have to find a vendor with what you want, and keep an eye on the website for discounts...

I will be looking closely at an i7-8700K myself to satisfy the upgrade itch, though as my i5-3750K seems to be doing everything fine i will probably end up sticking with what i have.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:53 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Great ideas -- thanks guys!

I'll probably hold off and look for deals on the outgoing i7's 7700 series after the 8700s are introduced.

Currently I have a Lenovo i7, categorizes as multi-media and gaming. I added some extra RAM to 16GB, but otherwise have pretty well left it alone. Using an LG 27" IPS LED, which seems fine for color, but I'd like higher rez than HD. Secondary screen is 23" LG Flatron -- good enough for email and Windows media player and dialog boxes. I think I bought my current unit from big box Frys here in So Cal.

I'd like an out-of-the-box unit with screen, if possible, just adding some RAM.

I had a PC built some time ago, but was not very happy with it for performance or IQ. The challenge is getting someone who really knows computing for image editing and not number crunching or gaming. So I've shied away from building one again.

One other question: How do you deal with computers in different locations, specifically for keeping data available to two or more locations? I'm trying to solve how to work in LR on one computer and have editing changes available on a different computer. Is there any way to do this with Adobe Cloud features? Sorry -- I've only ever worked on one computer at one location.

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:09 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

For work at multiple locations, an external drive will serve nicely (SSD or rotating).

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

rico wrote:
For work at multiple locations, an external drive will serve nicely (SSD or rotating).

This method recognizes LR files and catalogs on different machines?

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:25 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Location of LR catalog is under your control. Put it and the images on the external, then portability is complete.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:30 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

IMac 5k is a nice computer for photo editing

Option click the display settings and pick several resolutions for screen up to full 5k
Editing in high resolution is something very useful

4.0 Ghz 4 core I7 with 32 GB RAM is fast

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

rattlebonez wrote:
IMac 5k is a nice computer for photo editing

I would agree, despite not being a big Apple fan. Unfortunately once you have spec'd it to an appropriate hardware level it comes in somewhat over the $2500 budget. The same is obviously true for a 5K PC setup too.

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:19 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Tough choices, but good to know.

If money were no object, I'd probably go with Mac, since they are largely bullet-proof from our experience. Still, the PC's are better value and easier to upgrade over time.

I might need to look at an inexpensive laptop with additional 27" monitor, and have an SSD that I ferry back and forth from Washington to So Cal, to upload edited LR files to either or both PCs. Probably the easiest bandaid until I can upgrade my So Cal desktop.

It's good to have choices!

I really appreciate discussing the pros and cons with members of the forum -- thanks so much.

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Last month I get this for my son referbish Dell Workstation

Dell Outlet Precision T5810
Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 Processor (10 Core, 2.2GHz, 25M Cache, 85W)
32 GB DDR4 RDIMM ECC 2400MHz (4x8GB) Module,Dual In-Line Memory,Registered Dimm
256GB 2.5Inch SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive,S3,7MM,PM871
NVIDIA Quadro M2000 4GB (4 DP) (1 DP to SL-DVI adapter)
8X DVD ROM Drive Digital Video Disk Drive,8X,12.7T,Hitachi Lg Data Storage,BLN
Dell KB212-B USB Keyboard,104,United States
Optical 2-Button Mouse Black,Logitech,DI
Dell Wireless Mouse-WM126 - Black
Internal Speaker
Hard Drive Bracket
Precision T5810 425W TPM Chassis

Windows 10 Pro
Windows 64 Bit
Wave Systems Software

PR T5810 : 3 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

Subtotal: $1,564.05
Tax: $ 127.08
Total Price: $1,691.13

Amazon has Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
by Dell $ 349 99
Very nice small 4K display have one on my wife machine IPS display 185DPI in the middle of 2 4:3

20" 1600x1200 displays

Oct 03, 2017 at 04:28 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Mr Mouse wrote:
Last month I get this for my son referbish Dell Workstation

We've had a number of T-series Dell's where i work, and i've been largely impressed with them. They are well well built, and have been extremely reliable. My only criticisms are that the tend to use proprietary motherboard layouts (so you can't really upgrade them later) and the cases are limited with respect to adding more hard drives.

For photo editing I would personally favour fewer cores at higher clockspeed rather than lots of cores at lower clockspeed though.

Oct 03, 2017 at 08:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

15Bit wrote:
For photo editing I would personally favour fewer cores at higher clockspeed rather than lots of cores at lower clockspeed though.

I've typically preferred this ^ route for the more responsive interaction. But, for processing batches or those newer 30MP+ files that you've turned into monsters via .TIFF and layer building (not to mention stitching .TIFFs), I'm beginning to wonder which is the better approach going forward.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

Purchased a Dell XPS8900 in December 2016 on Amazon.

Dell XPS 8900 Desktop - Intel Core i7-6700 6th Generation Quad-Core Skylake up to 4.0 GHz, 32GB DDR4 Memory, 512GB SSD + 2TB SATA Hard Drive, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 745, DVD Burner, Windows 10

Sold by: J-Tech Digital, Inc

$1,241.06

I have an NEC Spectraview and a Dell monitor and I purchased a wicked keyboard - EagleTec KG010 Gaming / Industrial / Office Mechanical Keyboard With LED Backlit 104 Key (Black)
Sold by: ChallengerUSA
$40.99

I also have 10TB of externals.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

15Bit wrote:

Because many things in Photoshop are sequential in nature and can not be multi-thread a fast clockspeed will help Photoshop performance. However, there are other important factors. Cost fast processors have premium prices and other features are very important. SSD, 32GB of reliable ECC RAM and a Professional Quadro Display Adapter came with that $1600 add $400 for a 4K IPS comen close to their $2500. So you may be able to get a faster processor.
Also, the refurbished Dell workstations come with legal and install OS in working condition and three years of service. I feel I get good value for what I spend.

If Photoshop is all you use a faster CPU will help however if you do other things like video editing Core Ram and Quadro are more important. SSD IMO is required in all cases for good performance.

There is no problem adding RAM an disk. These days I keep all my personal data and image files on external disk anyway what do you add internally you can upgrade Display adapter.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:39 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

RustyBug wrote:
I've typically preferred this ^ route for the more responsive interaction. But, for processing batches or those newer 30MP+ files that you've turned into monsters via .TIFF and layer building (not to mention stitching .TIFFs), I'm beginning to wonder which is the better approach going forward.

In the fullness of time, performance will favor cores because Moore's Law is law no longer. Unfortunately, parallel processing is an advanced concept and most programmers, like Moses, will die on Mount Nebo before entering the Promised Land. Gearwise, I subscribe to both views. So, I can drive a Mac Pro with 4 cores @ 3.7GHz. Alternatively, I can crunch images and datasets using a Linux box with 20 cores @ 2.8GHz. The Mac wins (if barely) when 4 cores are deployed, and is otherwise stomped by a factor of 3.8. Being stuck with 4 cores active is an Antediluvian computing mode but some software *cough*Adobe*cough* is written that way.

Oct 03, 2017 at 02:04 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

I prefer to stay one or two generations behind - by far the best bang for the buck. The holiday season is coming (including Black Friday), so the best time for deals will soon be upon us. Last season I bought a refurbished Acer i7 4770K desktop w/32GB of ram for $400 You'll want to get a great price on a base system (or base w/memory) and then add your own storage to it - that way you can pick the best-in-class SSD in terms of performance and reliability.

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:54 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best 4K or 5K Computer Set-up for LR, under $2500?

snapsy wrote:
Last season I bought a refurbished Acer i7 4770K desktop w/32GB of ram

Yes refurbished is the way to go. I buy Dell Workstation from their outlet. The machines are like new. The one I use was manufactured three months before I received it. The machine comes with three years of service. Dell stands behind their refurbished machines. I have three in my home now and have never had a problem. The prices vary and seem to be related as to how new the particular model is. My model is a t5600 I have had it for years it was quite a new model when I purchased I paid around %70 of new, My Wife machine is a t3620 Paid around %60 of new My son's machine is the newest model we have a T5810 I Paid around %50 of new.

These machines sell fast you need to know what you want and monitor the site till a model with the hardware configuration you want is available and then you need to pounce on it. They sell fast supply is limited often a single machine that has a configuration you would want in your price range. However, I banked %30 to %50 savings. All the machines I have purchased have SSD boot disk, xeons processor, and nvidia quadro display adapters. They work well are reliable and will be used for many years.

Right now a see a 5810
Precision T5810
Tech Specs
Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1630 v4 Processor (Quad Core, 3.70GHz, 10MB, 140W)
Windows 10 Pro
1TB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive,MPWS
32 GB DDR4 RDIMM ECC 2400MHz (4x8GB)
8X DVD ROM Drive
NVIDIA Quadro K6000 12GB (2 DP, 2 DL-DVI-I) (2 DP to SL-DVI adapter)

Its $4000.00 not in my price range new price for the machine is $9000.00 far out of my range....

My range is $1500 to $2500.00

for $1735 nen proce $4000+ I see and it has a 3.5GHz clock speed still under $2500 if you add a 4K display
Tech Specs
Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v4 Processor (Quad Core, 3.5GHz, 10M Cache, 140W)
Windows 10 Pro
1TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
256GB 2.5Inch SATA Class 30 Solid State Drive
32 GB DDR4 RDIMM ECC 2400MHz (4x8GB)
8X DVD +/- RW Drive
NVIDIA Quadro M4000 8GB (4 DP) (1 DP to SL-DVI adapter)

Oct 04, 2017 at 03:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password