New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Serendipitous portrait

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Serendipitous portrait

https://retzart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DSC_9269ax-good1-medium-waterz.jpg

This young lady was sitting on a bench in a park and I just went up to her and told her I wanted to take her portrait. I believe she did an amazing job of posing. 85mm lens.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:01 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Serendipitous portrait

pixlepeeper wrote:

https://retzart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DSC_9269ax-good1-medium-waterz.jpg

This young lady was sitting on a bench in a park and I just went up to her and told her I wanted to take her portrait. I believe she did an amazing job of posing. 85mm lens.

Many things to love about this portrait. A very pretty lady, and you've captured her warm and winning smile. Nicely blurred background. Much credit to you for approaching her and asking permission to take her portrait. Did you offer to send her a copy? I always get their email address.

A few suggestions to taste. I prefer a different crop to remove her from the middle of the frame to make the image less static. Also, she shows with a long neck, so I've cropped slightly to reduce that. I"ve added a little contrast. Last, the teeth look over whitened. I'm not sure if that's a by product of your conversion, or from post processing. You might consider toning that down a little.

Steve

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:50 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Serendipitous portrait

Both renditions are good to me and very pretty model.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:19 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Serendipitous portrait

Good image and excellent approach.

When making head shots, do you consider what each would be like if the subject's head wasn't vertically straight?

Consider tilting the camera a bit each way. You'll often find an angle works better for you. When you capture multiple slightly different images, you can decide later which you like best.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:47 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Serendipitous portrait

+1 nice capture
+1 teeth are hot ... 255 would be a 100% specular reflection of your light source.

Teeth are neither mirrors, nor chrome, so they should be reflecting something less than 100% of the light befalling onto them. 90% reflection would be around 230 (255 - 25). Not an exact formula / rule, but the loss of detail and overly bright teeth draw us significantly more to the teeth than the eyes. Something with a bit more balance might be worth considering.

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Serendipitous portrait

Great to see the variations on what, to me, is an already strong and effective image.
I like the BW conversion, but have to incorporate Kent's comment above.

Scott

Oct 01, 2017 at 08:52 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.