FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

bjornthun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

New Sigma Art FE rumour - delay and five lenses

SAR posted this rumour with SR5, fwiw. The first Sigma Art FE lens will come only in February 2018, so there's a delay. The initial five new designed Art focal lengths for FE mount are rumoured to be:

14mm
24mm
35mm
85mm
135mm

My guess is that these are all new mirrorless designs. Will a delay until February 2018 mean that a possible Nikon and/or Canon short flange mirrorless system(s) are taken into account in the design process?

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:52 AM
gocolts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

If the 135 comes to be I'm guessing that'll be a day 1 preorder for me.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:43 AM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

I hope the 14mm is fully maximized ( or should I say minimized ) for Sony mirrorless, or it will be a hulking lens.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:52 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

it will be interesting to see how 'minimized' they're able to make these.
the CEO commented recently that the FE mount's diameter seemed to have been designed for APS-C and thus makes designing small, high IQ, full frame lenses difficult.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:58 AM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Could be the 35 I've been waiting for, we'll see.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:11 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Great to see more lenses coming for the FE mount. Lately Sigma has been delivering some great glass for the DSLR segments...let's hope this continues here. Their pricing also puts downward pressure on both Sony and Zeiss, which is always a good thing.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Parariss
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Well, the 14 and 135 were previously rumored (by the same, "trusted" rumormonger) to be 1.8 ART lenses, so they won't be small. Compact size doesn't seem to be a design priority in the ART line, which makes sense since the design mandate is maximum quality. The now, newly rumored 24, 35, and 85 were not expressly rumored to be ART lenses as well, but it would seem strange for Sigma to introduce ART lenses at 14 and 135 but leave the central three lenses as regular, non-ART lenses. However, if for some reason Sigma did go that route then they might be relatively compact.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:31 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

ecarlino wrote:
it will be interesting to see how 'minimized' they're able to make these.
the CEO commented recently that the FE mount's diameter seemed to have been designed for APS-C and thus makes designing small, high IQ, full frame lenses difficult.

This is mostly a dodge on the part of the Sigma CEO in my view. Sony has designed small, high IQ lenses, and the Zeiss Loxia are small high IQ lenses, and the Zeiss Batis are fairly small high IQ lenses. Also, the Sony FE mount is 46mm, whereas the Nikon F mount is 44mm. Yes, the flange distance is shorter for Sony E mount and combined that probably places some constraints on designs, but it isn't that narrow of a mount and Sony and Zeiss have been able to do it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:43 AM
farfisa
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

That image SAR keeps posting is extremely optimistic, especially when you consider that the 30/1.4 for APS-C E-mount is about that big already (even without the hood):
http://camerasize.com/compact/#579.549,579.615,ha,t

Sigma's quality has definitely impressed lately, but they yet haven't mastered small and fast in the same package.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:49 AM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Smallish, fast and super high quality means very, very expensive. Exotic types of glass; extremely tight manufacturing tolerances, etc.. Leica is the main example of this approach to lens design and we all know about their prices.

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:31 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

artur5 wrote:
Smallish, fast and super high quality means very, very expensive. Exotic types of glass; extremely tight manufacturing tolerances, etc.. Leica is the main example of this approach to lens design and we all know about their prices.

I can't see Sigma pricing their lenses higher than the equivalent Sony/Zeiss lens. They lately are delivering top quality lenses at prices less than from the OEM.

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:42 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Could it be these will be slow lenses ala Sigma Art for Sony APS-C?

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:12 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

chez wrote:
I can't see Sigma pricing their lenses higher than the equivalent Sony/Zeiss lens. They lately are delivering top quality lenses at prices less than from the OEM.

Yes, but I think that means that these lenses will not be small. SAR has pictures of the supposed 14 and 135 and they are anything but small. The 24. 35, and 85 might be smaller, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:13 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Auto focus accuracy on DSLRs has been less than perfect with Sigma (especially on wider glas), but since we have AF on sensor here in Sonyland, this should not be an issue, right? If that is the case, Sigma lenses could really shine on Sony.

But they tend to be heavy because Sigma likes their glas to have low distortion etc.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Steve Spencer wrote:
Yes, but I think that means that these lenses will not be small. SAR has pictures of the supposed 14 and 135 and they are anything but small. The 24. 35, and 85 might be smaller, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The pictures of the "supposed 14 and 135" lenses are actually the newly introduced 14/1.8 Art and 135/1.8 Art in the Sigma SA mount version, i.e. the pictured lenses are current DSLR lenses that can already be used with the MC-11 adapter on Sony cameras. There are no images AFAIK of the 14mm and 135mm to come next year. If the lenses that are rumoured next year are nothing but the current ones with tubes bolted on, that will be a great disappointment.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:49 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Stoffer wrote:
Auto focus accuracy on DSLRs has been less than perfect with Sigma (especially on wider glas), but since we have AF on sensor here in Sonyland, this should not be an issue, right? If that is the case, Sigma lenses could really shine on Sony.

But they tend to be heavy because Sigma likes their glas to have low distortion etc.

In addition to the focus calibration issues with DSLRs, Sigma has reverse engineered the communication protocol for Nikon and Canon DSLRs, which could make the issue even worse. In case of Sony FE mount, they can license the communication protocol, like Zeiss does for the Batis lenses. Focusing with the small Art lenses on APS-C was very accurate, in my experience.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:52 AM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

Boy, I don't know, there are already (mostly multiple) workable choices in those focal lengths. I was hoping for something not yet available like a 24-105 or 24-120 f/4. Or if they are gonna duplicate, a more affordable 24-70 f/2.8 or wide 12/14/15-24/30 option. That said, the 135 will be on my watch list for sure and maybe the 24. Also disappointed in the delay. That's too bad.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:58 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

A 900 dollar 24-70 f3.4 small would be nice.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

bjornthun wrote:
If the lenses that are rumoured next year are nothing but the current ones with tubes bolted on, that will be a great disappointment.

That's not going to happen if Sigma learned from Samyang's gaffe.

I don't believe Sigma will release a 14/1.8 lens for the Sony mirrorless BUT this focal length would greatly benefit from the shorter flange distance and therefore it's not impossible to see a small Art version. (look how small the Laowa's 15/2 FE is)

However, beyond 35mm, Sigma won't be able to produce small 'and' high IQ fast lenses.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:01 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Sigma Art FE Rumour - Delay and Five Lenses

My issue with Sigma is they have a clinical look to them even though they are very sharp they just don’t render very well. IMHO

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.