Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

in addition it looks to be pretty much the same design off of current Gitzo push pull. the Gitzo not being as refined on the push end.

Oct 20, 2017 at 08:29 AM
ghosthouse

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

You can push the ratcheting angle stops out from the back on a RRS tripod too. The spring comes into play when you swing the leg into a horizontal position then move the leg to the angle you want - the angle lock ratchets automatically.

Yeah, the automatic ratchets seem like one of those thoughtful usability features that you don't need but are really nice once accustomed to using. I've only ever pulled and pushed from the front side. I am looking to replace a tripod with a center post and I was just playing around pushing from the back but it is a little kludgy with that cneter post there.

Oct 20, 2017 at 09:29 AM
Melancholia
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

I was window shopping the PMG TR344 this past weekend and I wished the center platform could be removed with a built-in ratchet. The larger 42mm series has it, but the 34mm series has what appears to be 6 screws that secures it to the apex. I also wish the 34mm series has the red apex.

I already have a Gitzo Systematic 3, 3 sections that fits me beautifully. I would like a little taller reach and shorter collapsed length, which is why the TR344 attracted my attention. Would love to hear more from owners on PMG products.

Oct 25, 2017 at 01:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

i'll tell you one thing with the way they locked it down with the 6 screws it will not free itself up and become a possible issue. the ratchet is cute but not the most robust design option overall neither one of their methods are as elegant as the RRS models.

ratchet- has more moving parts and if fails the default position is open.

the screws many as there are do the job but the RRS with its 3 points and internal deforming ring works with just one screw if really needed.

Oct 25, 2017 at 02:28 PM
ghosthouse

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

At first I thought the all the pro stix had that ratchet feature which was not a plus for me personally for the reasons sjms outlined. Plus I didn't like the thought of something protruding off the apex like that. My worry wart side says that little beauty has the potential to grab ahold of something and for all talk about ball head lever release handles catching on something…The red apex is pretty trick but I only see as an option on one of their bigger set of legs.

I did have a chance to get my hands on a TVC-24L with a BH-40 while shooting the sunrise this past weekend. The guy next to me has his rig on one. First time I’ve seen one in the flesh. I was very impressed all the way down the ratcheting legs. I didn’t take notice of how the center platform was affixed though. The leg diameter was larger than I envisioned and it was lighter than I expected too. The height was awesome for a 6’3” fella like me.

With some input from you fine folks, I’ll hopefully be making my decision by the 29th since there is a PhotoPlus 10% off discount on PMG products at b&h.

Oct 26, 2017 at 02:50 PM
JLRII
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

Just a quick update, I never did get a chance to stop by PMG's office while I was in Illinois. It would have been at least a two hour round trip, which just wasn't something I was able to pull off during their open hours (weekdays 8am-5pm). With regards to support options, I'm still undecided on what direction to go; I plan to hold steady with my gitzo traveler for the time being - it may not be ideal for all situations, but it is generally good enough.

Nov 06, 2017 at 03:59 PM
daggah
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

Have you looked at the FLM Berlin 38.4 campaign on Indiegogo? If you don't need the tripod right away, it could be a good option to save some cash. But maybe it's not tall enough for you?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flm-the-berlin-38-4-tripod-photography#/

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:03 PM
libbyh

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

Really interested in this thread. I've been debating between the Gitzo Mountaineer 2, RRS TVC-24 and the PMG 34 series for my travel and backcountry hiking. Would love to hear first hand impressions from anyone that has had eye/hands on the product. I feel like the PMG is delivering the premium construction of the RRS line at a slightly better price point and with little nice features like the bowl adapter and integrated foot spikes.

My concern is that as they are a pretty young company, what parts support will be like. I suppose the collars are easy enough to just have custom machined and it's really just the plastic shims that i would need to figure out sizing on and how to source. Still, there's something to be said about the biggest names and their ability to stock parts for their legacy products.

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:30 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

I have a couple of ProMediaGear plates and they're good quality. I've not seen their tripod though. I've used a number of Gitzo tripods and now that B&H are selling RRS products I've been able to actually try them out.

The TVC-24 is the same folded length as my travel tripod yet more stable than my Gitzo 3541LS which I have taken on several trips. The TVC-24 weighs just a little less than 3.5 lbs so if you can deal with that weight its a very good candidate. It comes without a center column but you can get one for it, and they don't charge an arm and a leg for it like Gitzo does.

Nov 27, 2017 at 01:14 PM
ghosthouse

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

I am excited to share that I took delivery of my TR344L yesterday. Unfortunately my family got to it and it is now under the Christmas tree.

I am looking forward sharing more once I get my hands on it. My only tactile experience with it was through the bag it was wrapped in. It was light and the diameter of the top legs seemed 'beefier' than what I had in my minds eye.

I can say that my order experience and my conversations with PMG staffers have all been informative positive experiences.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM
xtian312

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

I toss and turned for almost 2 months between the Really Right Stuff (RRS) TVC-33 and the ProMediaGear(PMG) TR344 and at the end of the day I went with the PMG TR424L! The price point to offering ratio it offered (height and load capacity) was just too hard to pass up! So I bit and bought it... During the wait to get to me, I felt, "maybe I made the wrong decision". However, when it finally arrived, I was ecstatic and doubt and regrets were gone!

The aluminum twists locks do not bother me one bit, however, I have taken it out in the cold (26 deg F) but I had on my Vallerett gloves which had tacky materials on the palms that help with grip... So I can see how the synthetic twist locks on the RRS has a "grippy-er" advantage when wearing normal gloves without the tacky grips...

The quick release for the top plate makes switching it out a breeze! I have put in a 75mm half bowl leveling base on there and love, love, LOVE IT!

Since I have yet to experience the ratcheting lock mechanism of the RRS tripods for the legs, I can't say one thing or the other about it in comparison to the push/pull locking mechanism of the PMG tripods...

It is "heavy", but it's still lighter than my old Benros, Manfrottos, and Giottos tripods... And to be honest at 9lbs with my GKJr Katana, that's still light. Considering the load capacity and max height this combo gives.

The downside to this purchase (if you can call it that) is it's bit large/bulky for walking around/hiking. But, I was so happy with it that I just ordered a TR344 along with their 75mm half bowl leveling base so that my RRS BH-55 has a permanent home to live on.... That combo will serve as my "travel" tripod, for when I know I will be walking around a lot and need something smaller to lug around...

Dec 27, 2017 at 02:07 PM
JLRII
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

FYI: B&H is offering 10% discounts on the PMG line-up of tripods (and various other pieces of PMG kit) now through tomorrow evening.

And I did finally get a chance to have an extended hands-on session with a TR424L (as well as a katana jr gimbal) at a retailer in early January and left impressed. I'm not quite ready to give up the portability of my gitzo traveler yet, but the TR344L remains an appealing option to me.

Mar 02, 2018 at 02:07 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

the Jr is an excellent gimbal the tripd is an excellent but heavier option.

Mar 02, 2018 at 02:30 PM
Thern
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · ProMediaGear Tripods - worthy alternative to RRS/Gitzo?

Another nice point to know...
PMG aftersales is absolutely topnotch! Tom Fudela will answer any question in a friendly and supportive manner.
I bought a Katana some years ago and I still love it despite its weight.
Bought a new monopod (as for the tripod I choosed again for Gitzo) and bought the PMG PM1 monopod head
Piece of art and it works like a charm even with a 600mm prime.

Mar 10, 2018 at 03:59 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.