New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Bowling Ball Beach in Northern California

naypay
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bowling Ball Beach in Northern California

I will be in the area for 4 days in late October. I would appreciate any advice regarding logistics.

I have been there before with very little luck getting that shot. Or any decent shot.

My questions: what is the ideal tide level?
And is there access to the beach that doesn't require physical strength or nerves of steel? The ladder has been out both times I was there. I did try to go around at low tide the first time and barely made it out.

TIA!

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:28 PM
tsaphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bowling Ball Beach in Northern California

I think the ideal tide to see the rocks half-covered is between 0 and 2 feet. If you don't go in through Schooner Gulch, you can go another mile north and take a fairly easy trail in on the north end of the beach. If you hit the Moat Creek road you went too far. The hike back to Bowling Ball from that access point is a pain in the ass over uneven rock, so choose your poison.

As always, be aware of the tide and swell conditions before you try. Schooner Gulch is not a particularly dangerous beach and most wave energy dissipates on the reefs offshore, but a big W/NW swell can still leave you in a bad spot if you aren't cognizant of the dangers.

Sep 30, 2017 at 09:05 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password