New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

farfisa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

Not sure if you specified anywhere which native 35 you had but, if it's the 35/1.4, I think you could skip the 55 and go straight to 85.

The 55 is a great size though, relatively unobtrusive, and that counts for something. I agree with the others who've said it's a great one-lens solution when you can't carry a 35 and an 85.

The Batis is quite a bit larger, especially with the hood, but is still light and very well built.

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:41 PM
joelRichards
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

nehemiahphoto wrote:
On the a9 the 55 1.8 the AF is extremely impressive. In terms of AF, the 55 1.8 is faster than the FE 85, which is faster than the Batis 85. You can shoot dogs running around WO and track super well with the 55. I found it better than the 70-200 GM I rented for that.

I found the color on the 55 to be a bit more subdued (a little more luminance and less saturation) than the Batis 85, though I find it a tricky lens to process. It seems to have a magenta tint (aside from LoCal). I
...Show more

That's interesting because that doesn't match my experience at all. The 55 may be faster (maybe) but it seems to hunt more than any of my other lenses on my A9 so I've never thought of the AF as being practically faster. Perhaps it comes down to post processing (I shoot almost exclusively RAW and use Capture One) and expectations but I choose the Basis over the 55 for portraits every time I can. Never had a problem with the macro contrast of the lens.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:00 PM
joelRichards
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

farfisa wrote:
. . . it's a great one-lens solution when you can't carry a 35 and an 85.

This to me is the great advantage of the 55 and why I can't bring myself to sell it. The combo of the focal length, size/weight, and IQ make it a great one-lens/travel-light solution.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:05 PM
gocolts
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

joelRichards wrote:
This to me is the great advantage of the 55 and why I can't bring myself to sell it. The combo of the focal length, size/weight, and IQ make it a great one-lens/travel-light solution.

This is me as well. I have a sharp 35 f/2.8 and Batis 85, and the 55 1.8 is at least as sharp as those, and while the Batis 85 probably gets more use (it's my workhorse portrait lens) the 55 1.8 just got done doing a casual shoot at a local park where working distance was going to be limited and I didn't really want to carry more around than absolutely necessary.

Everytime I think "eh I should probably sell the 55 and pick up an FE 50 for occasional casual use" I take a quick look at the times I've used the 55, and the results I've gotten, and quickly change my mind.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:33 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

joelRichards wrote:
That's interesting because that doesn't match my experience at all. The 55 may be faster (maybe) but it seems to hunt more than any of my other lenses on my A9 so I've never thought of the AF as being practically faster. Perhaps it comes down to post processing (I shoot almost exclusively RAW and use Capture One) and expectations but I choose the Basis over the 55 for portraits every time I can. Never had a problem with the macro contrast of the lens.

If you block the lens (put a piece of paper 2 inches in front) and time AF racking from MFD to infinite, you'll find the 55 ZA faster. In use, I can't speak to eye AF as I rarely use it on the a9. I only shoot dogs in AF-C Expanded Flexible or Wide. In this avenue of usage, the 55 is superb. Also, accuracy doesn't matter as much if the lens simply can't keep up because of slower AF drive--like my FE 85 (though it's a pretty quick focusing lens generally). I don't have any problems per se with the contrast, more the signature. It's a relatively contrasty lens WO, but not like some other 50s. I know Fred and others have had the same experience (at least compared to the ZM 50) and have made presets to process the 55 ZA to bring out a little more punch. I too have custom presets in LR.

Not being as much of a 50mm guy, I tend to grab my 85 or 35. I simply have the 55 ZA for the fast native AF/size/IQ combo. I still like my contax 50 1.7, Mino 58 1.2 or ZM 50 better, though they are all different.

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:03 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

Another vote for buy the 55 and FE 85 1.8 for around the cost of the Batis 85.

The 55 is optically a bit better than the FE 85 but I find the 85 a bit better for a portrait focal length most of the time. Both are staying in my kit. The small size of the 55 means I tend to have it on my camera as a body cap a fair amount also.

Out of all the normal lenses I have had, it is the one I like the most (previously I would have said that would be the FD 50 1.2 L or Pentax 50 1.2 k).

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

nehemiahphoto wrote:
If you block the lens (put a piece of paper 2 inches in front) and time AF racking from MFD to infinite, you'll find the 55 ZA faster. In use, I can't speak to eye AF as I rarely use it on the a9. I only shoot dogs in AF-C Expanded Flexible or Wide. In this avenue of usage, the 55 is superb. Also, accuracy doesn't matter as much if the lens simply can't keep up because of slower AF drive--like my FE 85 (though it's a pretty quick focusing lens generally). I don't have any problems per se with
...Show more

You sound like me. I'm also not a 50mm guy either, but have four 50mm lenses!

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Parariss
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

I have both. I prefer the Batis on my full frame, but I really like the 55 on my crop body for street candids because it looks less intimidating and because it's a more compact traveling kit that serves the same function.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:46 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

Fred Miranda wrote:
You sound like me. I'm also not a 50mm guy either, but have four 50mm lenses!

Haha--I know. And of course the one I like least is the most useful. 😭

Sep 30, 2017 at 06:43 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

Another vote for the FE 85/1.8 in place of the Batis (and then get the 55 too if you can swing it.) The Sony 85 is every bit as sharp as the Batis and has almost identical bokeh. The Batis has OSS, but that doesn't matter much with the new Sony bodies with IBIS. It also controls CA slightly better than the Sony, but it's not that big of a difference. The Sony 85 is a gem, and an absolute steal for the price.

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:47 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

Thanks for the interesting discussion. The FE 55/1.8 is my second FE lens I bought, the first being the FE 35/2.8. There was quite a bit of discussion on LUF about the FE 55/1.8 on A7r when it first showed up, as some folks felt it outperformed the Summilux-M 50/1.4 on M9. Because of that some folks moved from Leica to Sony.

I don't own any FE 85mm, whether Batis or Sony, but I do own the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS lens - my copy seems to live up to the specs, being crazy sharp for portraits, as someone put it - and I also own the Summilux-R 80/1.4, such a superb portrait lens that I have not felt the need to acquire any FE 85mm lens.

Now that Eye-AF works with the TechArt Pro (TAP) autofocus adapter on the A9 and together with IBIS benefits also the Summilux-R 80/1.4 I feel even less the need for a native FE portrait lens. Sure AF speed of the TAP is slower than that of any native FE AF lens, but that doesn't seem to matter how I use the Summilux-R 80/1.4 lens.

K-H.

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:38 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony 55 1.8 vs Batis 85 1.8

maestrofilms wrote:
I have to agree with this. Ever since the FE came out people have said it is just as good, or images look the exact same as the Batis. I tried both, and very quickly decided I liked the Batis better.

I like the 55 very much, but I would choose the Batis 85 over it without hesitating.

1 + 1 + 1 = 3

I'm in the same exact camp. I'm sure, knowing myself, that if the Batis and FE were available at the same time, given the prices-- I'd have gone with the FE. That said, having used both the Batis and the FE... I won't sell the Batis (which I bought the week before the FE was announced, and could have returned).

The FE 85 is one of the great value lenses of the line. Sharp. Nice rendering. Decent CA. The Batis has a bit of the Zeiss look to it in terms of contrast (which some may actually dislike in a portrait lens), tonal separation, and in particular (to me) strong control of image quality in the near-oof peripheral region of the images. There are objective ways to describe the rendering (which the Batis 18mm shares in contrast to the 16-35 F/4); in subjective terms I think of it as being "tight" rather than "flabby."

FE vs Batis 85 truly is a matter of diminishing returns. And therefore personal preference. The Batis lenses have all wowed me from day 1-- and then continued to grow on me.

Side note: I also have the FE 50 1.8, and the Batis 85mm, and I NEVER carry the two together unless it's for a very specific reason. I keep the 50 around only as a sort of backup/niche lens for when shooting space is limited, or I want to bring a super light kit (with FE 28). Otherwise... I reach for 85mm every time. Of course, 35mm.... that's my favorite FL.

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password