3       end

Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

sjms wrote:
Acratech uses a double speed thread

And it's not great to use. I bought a GP with one and sent the clamp back for replacement with their lever clamp. You spend about an equal amount of time trying to tighten it because you're never quite sure that you've tightened it properly. Also you wonder if the knob gets a bump would the clamp jaw loosen. Screw clamps with finer threads are much easier to use.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

lsquare wrote:
Thanks for the information. Are you speaking from experience about the full size screw clamp being oversized?

Other than the size, I'm assuming the compact screw clamp works with Chinese plates as well as the full size screw clamp? No other limitations?

I can avoid doing the modification myself since RRS sells the compact clamp with BH-40 for $370, which is $10 less than getting the BH-40 with the full size clamp.

here is a small example using the full sized clamp w/lever (a gave up on knobs a long time ago) and then you can extrapolate with the regular size knob (which sticks out longer) would affect your personal use. look at its overall size vs the ballhead body itself.

assuming that their screw clamp will fit all plates including all imported from asia no matter what the price?
I gave that only a 98% probability because I've seen some pretty questionably made product come out of there.

I misspoke about not having a screw lock clamp see image 3

full siz vs compact lever models. the body of the clamp is the same is the same on the full size with either locking mechanism. the compact screw is a little smaller the the lever compact

full size clamp on board

X20    13mm    f/7.1    1s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Sep 29, 2017 at 02:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

peter_n wrote:
And it's not great to use. I bought a GP with one and sent the clamp back for replacement with their lever clamp. You spend about an equal amount of time trying to tighten it because you're never quite sure that you've tightened it properly. Also you wonder if the knob gets a bump would the clamp jaw loosen. Screw clamps with finer threads are much easier to use.

i'm just giving options to the screw crowd. I am where I want and need to be.

there are too many urban legends about both of them. most being smoke and mirrors. both can be and will be secure as long as the owner does due diligence.

Edited on Sep 29, 2017 at 02:40 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:08 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

Steezus wrote:
Yeah and this is why I feel like it is much more time consuming to clamp my gear down with my screw clamp. I have seen other people with screw clamps that open and close much faster and won't clamp down so tight to the point it wedges itself stuck. I just can't justify spending over $100 to switch out to a lever clamp

I think there must be something awry with your set up, my screw clamp never gets stuck closed. It sounds like some foreign substance is on the guide rails of he clamp, if you lube it, don't, they work just fine dry.

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

oh, and I forgot, and maintains them

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:59 PM
doc4x5

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

You should certainly be able to use the type of clamp you choose. Here's some food for thought.
In the large camera era, as in 4x5, I used an Arca B1 with a screw clamp, very solid, on Gitzo 3 series carbon legs . When I went mirrorless, lighter, I got a smaller set of legs and an Acratech head with the screw clamp. After almost having the camera fall, a few times, I got the Acratech lever head and never looked back. It is solid, secure, adjustable, and, at least for me, less likely to slip and have the camera fall. The B40 is a great head, I actually bought and tried one but it just didn't work for me.
Good luck whatever you do.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:24 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I have both RRS clamps and screws and while I started off using the clamps, over the years I've gravitated towards the screw clamp as just being easier to use. Too often the tip of the lever clamp is tucked away underneath the clamping head itself and you have to dig to release it, harder if you've got fat fingers and pretty much impossible with gloves.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:54 PM
d831
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I'd also consider the range of working conditions you expect to find yourself in. For instance, when it's cold enough for thick gloves (or even more to the point, cold enough for mittens!), you might find a lever clamp a bit easier to work with.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I just did a quick survey, and I have six lever clamps and a dozen screw clamps. About half of the screw clamps are the small/xsmall size, for which levers don't exist. There is one situation in which I prefer using a lever clamp, which is when shooting action using a monopod; in which case I use lever clamps on my monopod platforms and MH-01 monopod head, in order to quickly drop the support when I want to go handheld, while continuously tracking a subject. The situation for a screw clamp preference is when I'm shooting macro with my M645 A 120/4 Macro, which is on a focus rail, that's in turn mounted on a 12" general-purpose rail; for coarse adjustments, I open the screw clamp just enough to slide the 12" rail; then I use the focus rail for fine adjusrtments. OTOH, my 410 geared head that I often use with the A 120/4 Macro has a lever clamp on it. Go figure. I would change it to a screw clamp, if it really mattered to me, but it doesn't. In most situations, it really doesn't matter which type of clamp you use, as long as you remember to close it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:25 PM
d831
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

^ Excellent examples!

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

doc4x5 wrote:
You should certainly be able to use the type of clamp you choose. Here's some food for thought.
In the large camera era, as in 4x5, I used an Arca B1 with a screw clamp, very solid, on Gitzo 3 series carbon legs . When I went mirrorless, lighter, I got a smaller set of legs and an Acratech head with the screw clamp. After almost having the camera fall, a few times, I got the Acratech lever head and never looked back. It is solid, secure, adjustable, and, at least for me, less likely to slip and have the
...Show more

the only real issue with the adjustable lever clamp itself is the "adjuster" (owner/operator) having many different variable plates can create an issue in itself an essentially erases the advantage of said lever.

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:58 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

peter_n wrote:
Have you tried doing a bit of maintenance on the clamp?

Yeah I blast graphite lubricant all throughout the moving parts, but I really think that it just clamps a bit too hard for its own good.

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:43 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

JBPhotog wrote:
I think there must be something awry with your set up, my screw clamp never gets stuck closed. It sounds like some foreign substance is on the guide rails of he clamp, if you lube it, don't, they work just fine dry.

I baby my gear, so they are clean as can be. I only shoot graphite into the internal parts that slide and have friction. It is also about 8 years old now and maybe just time for a new one.

Reading everything here it seems most people prefer a screw clamp, wish I could try a lever in the flesh, I just think that would be my favorite method.

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

graphite. not the cure for all ailments.

http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/maintenance-clamps/

good old Phil Wood Tenacious Oil

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:50 PM
Flowernut
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I prefer the screw clamp. Never had one release on me and it does help as I understand there is some variance in arca swiss dovetail plates depending on the manufacturer.

The unique ball to me is a substitute for a wimberly type head that works well as a ball head too. Takes a little time to get used to it and some of the controls are poorly placed although I'm not sure how you would fix that. I use it where weight is a consideration and the trip involves both long lenses and senics. Mostly scenics and macro then a ball head. Mostly long lenses 500mm and up then a gimbal head and a small ball head. Mix then the unique ball particularly if weight is an issue. The clamp they have that lets you mount the plate in two directions perpendicular to each other is the one to have. Looks flimsy but seems to work.

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

Does the unique ball allow for a tension setting where there is decently smooth movement yet it will also hold a stationary position through the zoom range, e.g., with an 80-400 or 100-400?

EBH

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:53 PM
Flowernut
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

There is not a separate tension adjustment like on an arca ball head when you use it like a ball head. You have to do it with the main knob or just lock it down before you release your grip on the camera. Not as elegant but you get used to it.

When used as a gimbal, there is a single red knob under the lens. In my mind it is poorly positioned as it is cumbersome to reach particularly with a long arca plate on a big telephoto. The plate can more or less cover the knob. A long plate is needed to adjust the balance by moving the plate/lens back and forth in the jaws of the ball head. Mine has a great deal of tipping friction even when fully loosened. It is much harder to adjust tipping friction. Rotational movement is free. Seems to be locked or unlocked with very little in between. That said, with careful balance, I can take my hands off it and have it stay put.

With a zoom that will shift its center of gravity as you change focal lengths I'm not as sure. The friction is high but something like the canon zoom you mentioned are real trombones. My use has been with things like 500, 600 or 200-400 canons. Mostly the 200-400. Still you may be ok with a tripod collar as it is fairly stiff and maybe start with a little back balance to counteract the shift in the center of gravity forward as you zoom.

In the final analysis, it is not as good as a true gimbal or a true ball head. Call it the swiss army knife of the tripod heads. Does everything but just not as well.

I use the 4th generation gimbal and either an arca or markins ball head when I'm not worried about weight. Arca for winter or where I feel I need extra strength as I've had markins heads freeze up in subfreezing weather unless you wipe the ball thoroughly with wd-40. Arca does not like wet weather like iceland. Had to send mine in for repairs then it was basically constantly wet for 2 weeks running.

Oct 01, 2017 at 01:32 AM
Shedugengan

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

peter_n wrote:

I felt the same way about my friend's GP screw clamp... I wasn't confident of how well it would hold, or if a simple bump or rub would loosen it. I never had the concern with my very old Kirk screw clamp (fine threads), nor with my RRS lever-clamp (self-adjusting model).

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:47 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

^ Well our experience of using these so-called "fast" screw clamps is helpfully explained by dmcphoto on page 1:

dmcphoto wrote:
Force is indeed multiplied by the thread pitch of the screw. As thread pitch gets finer more rotations are required to move the clamp a given distance and lower turning force is required to produce a given clamping force. In addition, as knob diameter gets larger lower turning force is required to produce a given clamping force. Both things multiply force much like gear ratios in a car transmission or differential.

"As thread pitch gets finer more rotations are required to move the clamp a given distance and lower turning force is required to produce a given clamping force." (the italics are mine.)

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

Flowernut wrote:
There is not a separate tension adjustment like on an arca ball head when you use it like a ball head. You have to do it with the main knob or just lock it down before you release your grip on the camera. Not as elegant but you get used to it.

When used as a gimbal, there is a single red knob under the lens. In my mind it is poorly positioned as it is cumbersome to reach particularly with a long arca plate on a big telephoto. The plate can more or less cover the knob. A long plate
...Show more

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I have the Markins Q20i and the BVL plate for it. There is a limited tension range that maintains balance from 100 to 400mm and stays in place. It's not nearly loose like a gimbal, though works very well as a ball head as you know. Lately I have been using the lightweight (1.5 lb.) Jobu Jr. 3 for the 80-400/100-400 lenses instead.

EBH

Oct 03, 2017 at 01:51 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password