New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I currently have a RRS BH-40 with the lever clamp. I think I might be part of the minority that hates lever clamps. It just doesn't seem natural to me. Prior to this, I had the Markins Q3T with a screw clamp. I think I got use to it. Anyways, does anyone here have any comments about RRS' screw clamps? I'm assuming screw clamps are better able to adjust and handle Chinese quick release plates which tries to copy the Arca-Swiss standard? I'm assuming lever clamps doesn't adjust as easily? If true, why is that the case?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1301050-REG/really_right_stuff_bh_40_pro_ii_bh_40_ballhead_with_full_size.html

I have read good stuff about the Uniqball UBH 35X ballhead. Is anyone here using one? I'm planning on using it for landscape and travel photography. I also like that there is a screw clamps, but I hate how they're using rubber for the knob rather than metal like RRS. What do you guys think? Should I buy both and play with it long term?

My camera setup is a Fujifilm X-T2. My longest lens at the moment is the 55-200mm lens/

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:17 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

the full size screw clamp on the BH 40 is a little oversized for that particular head. there is a compact screw version and if you contact RRS you can purchase that screw type clamp from them. its a 2 minute swap out for you the owner.

as to the Uniqball it is an acquired taste product. "unique" features and caveats. essentially a leveling base integrated into a ball head with some limits on movement.

like every tool each has its place based on wants and needs.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-mAS-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-1-4-20-screw

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:01 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

The Uniqball has some pretty cool features, as mentioned above, but when I sold my Canon gear in favor of the XT2, I found it a bit overkill, so I sold it and bought the BH-40. Mine has a lever clamp, which I have no issues with, but if you plan on using knock-off L-plates, be advised that even the screw clamp may not hold it tight. I had a knock-off lens foot plate that I used with my 70-200/2.8L IS that would slip in the screw clamp that I had at the time, and I ended up having to add gaffers tape on the rails to prevent the camera and lens from sliding around in the plate.

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:23 AM
lsutigerfan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I like screw clamps personally much better. The knob rarely gets in my way of carrying tripod w/ballhead attached, and seems overall the more intuitive method to tighten the clamp down. Rarely would I ever see the benefits of saving a few seconds, at most, that the lever style clamps offer. That being said, the RRS lever clamps are the most aesthetically pleasing clamps...some would even consider them downright sexy! ;-)

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:32 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

gregfountain wrote:
The Uniqball has some pretty cool features, as mentioned above, but when I sold my Canon gear in favor of the XT2, I found it a bit overkill, so I sold it and bought the BH-40. Mine has a lever clamp, which I have no issues with, but if you plan on using knock-off L-plates, be advised that even the screw clamp may not hold it tight. I had a knock-off lens foot plate that I used with my 70-200/2.8L IS that would slip in the screw clamp that I had at the time, and I ended up having to
...Show more

Edited on Sep 28, 2017 at 08:24 AM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2017 at 08:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

lsutigerfan wrote:
I like screw clamps personally much better. The knob rarely gets in my way of carrying tripod w/ballhead attached, and seems overall the more intuitive method to tighten the clamp down. Rarely would I ever see the benefits of saving a few seconds, at most, that the lever style clamps offer. That being said, the RRS lever clamps are the most aesthetically pleasing clamps...some would even consider them downright sexy! ;-)

the basic design of the clamp is that of a wedge vise in both versions. I prefer the idea of consistently made "precision" products (consistently dimensioned plates and mechanical actions) and the compound force (mechanical advantage well over a screw type assy) and obvious visual cues of the lever design itself (obvious positional information). these features I find more intuitive vs the knob that visually tells me nothing of position/status.

really, it has nothing to do with "saving a few seconds".

Sep 28, 2017 at 08:09 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I go exclusively for screw-knob clamps. They are simply more versatile over time and space. I have got no-name plates from years (decades?) ago that work perfectly fine with the finest RRS screw-knob clamps today, and vice versa. So despite the hodge-podge of little bits and pieces I've accumulated over the years, every part is fully compatible with every other part.

As for the visual confirmation thing -- I ALWAYS check for a firm connection before letting go of the rig by giving everything a firm tug. I imagine would do this too even if the clamp had a bright red light flashing light with a foghorn-loud "insecure! insecure!" warning! Either way, I will take the versatility in working with pretty much any plate from any manufacturer at any time over this little benefit.

BTW, from talking to RRS, there is no practical difference in security between the lever and screw mechanisms in their clamps ... but IIRC, the screw-knob can naturally exert a much stronger clamping force. Other manufacturers may vary.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

I have a RRS B2-Pro/L Screw-Knob Clamp. I wish it was a quick release. I have never used one, but it seems like it would be less hassle.

You can exert a lot of force with the screw knob, but I find that you can exert so much that the clamp will not want to release even with the knob backed all the way out. You have to pry it open sometimes, and it isn't like I was bearing down on the knob when I was tightening it. It is an 80mm wide plate, so there is a lot of rail for it to be biting against.

The problem is pretty annoying. Does anyone else experience this or did I possibly get a bad clamp?

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

jeetsukumaran wrote:
I go exclusively for screw-knob clamps. They are simply more versatile over time and space. I have got no-name plates from years (decades?) ago that work perfectly fine with the finest RRS screw-knob clamps today, and vice versa. So despite the hodge-podge of little bits and pieces I've accumulated over the years, every part is fully compatible with every other part.

As for the visual confirmation thing -- I ALWAYS check for a firm connection before letting go of the rig by giving everything a firm tug. I imagine would do this too even if the clamp had a bright
...Show more

all things being equal a screw type can only exert the force applied to by its user directly via rotational motion ( no force multiplication). the cam design (which is a force multiplier) exerts an approximate predetermined force (approx 50lbs clamping) with a lower physical exertion on the part of the user.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

sjms wrote:
all things being equal a screw type can only exert the force applied to by its user directly via rotational motion ( no force multiplication). the cam design (which is a force multiplier) exerts an approximate predetermined force (approx 50lbs clamping) with a lower physical exertion on the part of the user.

The knob and pitch of the screw work together to multiply the force.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:56 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

with a knob you will need to apply the torque the thread allows levels of torque. it is not a torque multiplier.

force is generally applied by an external device like a hand, screwdriver or wrench/torquing device

Edited on Sep 28, 2017 at 12:08 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:57 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

http://www.solitaryroad.com/c1019.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_(simple_machine)

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

Force is indeed multiplied by the thread pitch of the screw. As thread pitch gets finer more rotations are required to move the clamp a given distance and lower turning force is required to produce a given clamping force. In addition, as knob diameter gets larger lower turning force is required to produce a given clamping force. Both things multiply force much like gear ratios in a car transmission or differential.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

ok, to an extent yes but not to a level of a cam. your right it is a simple torque device. as a fastening device. a cam is a more sophisticated device that can bed designed to apply a predetermined load that is easily repeatable using a lesser load applied to close. it also allows a controlled release force.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

dmcphoto wrote:
Force is indeed multiplied by the thread pitch of the screw. As thread pitch gets finer more rotations are required to move the clamp a given distance and lower turning force is required to produce a given clamping force. In addition, as knob diameter gets larger lower turning force is required to produce a given clamping force. Both things multiply force much like gear ratios in a car transmission or differential.

this is true and i did "screw" up there.

i'll take a cam

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:26 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

And in case people are not aware, RRS use a much finer thread pitch in their screw clamps than the Jina knock offs which use 1/4-20.

I have both, a clamp on my Foba Super Ball head mated to my 30 year old Manfrotto Art. 161 legs and a RRS B2-Pro on my monopod head.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:10 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

JBPhotog wrote:
And in case people are not aware, RRS use a much finer thread pitch in their screw clamps than the Jina knock offs which use 1/4-20.

Yeah and this is why I feel like it is much more time consuming to clamp my gear down with my screw clamp. I have seen other people with screw clamps that open and close much faster and won't clamp down so tight to the point it wedges itself stuck. I just can't justify spending over $100 to switch out to a lever clamp

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

Acratech uses a double speed thread

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:57 PM
lsquare
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

sjms wrote:
the full size screw clamp on the BH 40 is a little oversized for that particular head. there is a compact screw version and if you contact RRS you can purchase that screw type clamp from them. its a 2 minute swap out for you the owner.

as to the Uniqball it is an acquired taste product. "unique" features and caveats. essentially a leveling base integrated into a ball head with some limits on movement.

like every tool each has its place based on wants and needs.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-mAS-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-1-4-20-screw

Thanks for the information. Are you speaking from experience about the full size screw clamp being oversized?

Other than the size, I'm assuming the compact screw clamp works with Chinese plates as well as the full size screw clamp? No other limitations?

I can avoid doing the modification myself since RRS sells the compact clamp with BH-40 for $370, which is $10 less than getting the BH-40 with the full size clamp.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:10 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Screw Clamp vs Lever Clamp / RRS BH-40 vs Uniqball UBH 35X

Steezus wrote:
I have a RRS B2-Pro/L Screw-Knob Clamp. I wish it was a quick release. I have never used one, but it seems like it would be less hassle.

You can exert a lot of force with the screw knob, but I find that you can exert so much that the clamp will not want to release even with the knob backed all the way out. You have to pry it open sometimes, and it isn't like I was bearing down on the knob when I was tightening it. It is an 80mm wide plate, so there is a lot of
...Show more

Have you tried doing a bit of maintenance on the clamp?

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:26 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.