New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

Please post your pictures from the Canon 135mm t/s lens here.

Personally I struggle to see how it's going to be very useful so prove me wrong, particularly with pictures that look different from what a 90mm t/s lens would produce and utilize the tilt and/or shift

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:27 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

A few tips on how to start a succesful image thread:

*) Be positive. Make positive incentives for posting.

*) Be broad, don't limit requirements too much.

*) Don't make it personal.

*) Don't have people to post to prove anything.

*) Don't send signals to possible posters that their images will be critiqued in a way like "That could also have been done with equipment Y", because that could always be said about all images, especially on web case. In this particular case, it will never be possible to see any difference between a cropped TS-E 90 image and a TS-E 135 image.

*) Time the start of the thread when the lens is starting to get out to photographers

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:15 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

. . . particularly with pictures that look different from what a 90mm t/s lens would produce and utilize the tilt and/or shift

Two hypothetical image examples we can just talk about:

1. In the foreground lies a small harbor, with lobster boats moored on its glass-smooth surface. In the background, beyond the harbor mouth, more than a mile away, is an ancient lighthouse, perched on a rock which lies just under the surface at mid-tide. Ocean swells break at the base of the lighthouse, sending an explosive fan of spray around it, and behind it shooting white water above its 90-foot top.

Compared to the 90mm, with the 135mm the lighthouse and spray will be a more prominent feature in the picture, relative to the boats in the foreground.

2. The surface of the sea is mostly dull and dark, reflecting an unevenly overcast sky. But a spot of thinning among the clouds lets through marvelous filtered sunlight, producing a band of illuminated water stretching from the horizon toward the camera, bringing optimal contrast and detail to the water's surface. The width of that band is not enough to fill the frame of the 90mm lens, but does fill the frame when using the 135mm. Two entirely different pictures result. An incidental advantage found in the 135mm image is a serendipitous and picturesque old schooner on the horizon, with its rigging fully resolved, and its crew visible on deck, as they are not in the 90mm version.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

Ok thanks. sounds interesting. Any images? I found this rather uninspiring shot, but it would look similar from a 90mm t/s IMHO

https://www.canonrumors.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/ts-e-135mm-f-4l-macro-lens-sample-image-2-620x413.jpg

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:56 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

The original TS-E 90 doesn't provide enough magnification to take that picture without extension tubes. The shorter focal length would force you to alter the perspective so we wouldn't see all 8 corners of the octagon, or one of them just barely. The fold in front would also appear differently relative to the watch.

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:36 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

I have no dog in this fight but if you've spent any time shooting regular 85/135 lenses, it's very apparent how those two are different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I have to imagine similar logic applies to t/s lenses as well.

Sep 28, 2017 at 08:52 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

"it's very apparent how those two are different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I have to imagine similar logic applies to t/s lenses as well. "

Of course it does. The OP simply assumes that because HE can't imagine a use for this lens that no one else can either. Myopic.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

You do know that the lens isn't expected to be released until December 1, 2017. Right?

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:01 PM
cmplaya
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

jcolwell wrote:
You do know that the lens isn't expected to be released until December 1, 2017. Right?

sounds like he don't care and he wants it now.

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:08 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

jcolwell wrote:

Gotta awhile to wait....in the mean time....

Edited on Sep 28, 2017 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

dhphoto wrote:
Please post your pictures from the Canon 135mm t/s lens here.

Personally I struggle to see how it's going to be very useful so prove me wrong, particularly with pictures that look different from what a 90mm t/s lens would produce and utilize the tilt and/or shift

How did you get one? My pre-oders indicate:

Expected availability: Dec 1, 2017

EBH

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:07 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

jcolwell wrote:

No I didn't! That explains the lack of samples

Let me make myself clear here. I started this thread and commented on the other one because I see no point to this lens. That doesn't mean there isn't one but despite being in the business all my life I don't see it. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

Most lenses have a perceived use - wideangles for interiors and vistas, standard lenses for half length portraiture and general use, teles for portraiture and sport etc. There is usually a reason why one might buy an optic.

I cannot see one with the 135mm t/s. Shooting small areas of ground with some tilt isn't a reason to buy a £2500 lens, it's too long as a one-and-only studio lens, any studio shooter will tell you this.

If it isn't available yet then it's main usages are yet to be determined but to insult me and maintain I'm an idiot because I don't see what people might use it for is spiteful and simply wrong. I expect better of (most of) the posters here.

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:38 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

Thanks for the clarification.

I have tried to be factual and helpful, but you may have picked up a hostile tone, and I will explain why. In the other thread I posted an example of an image showing a potential use case for the lens. Your response was that since that was the only example you had seen so far, it would be stupid to buy the lens just for that use. Even though it might not have been your intention to be hostile, came out that way. This was the first image, and it may have been a bit premature to mention that possible conclusion.

When you host an image thread, it is particularly important not to make posters feel stupid. When you say in advance that your purpose in reviewing the images is to see if the same could be done with a 90 mm lens, it is a no brainer to expect that reaction from you to all images, the image could also have been made with a 90 mm lens. Very few will post images then, and those who do will be prepared for confrontation, and the thread will be confrontional. That is not a very smart tone for an image thread.

I get the feeling that you started this thread to prove that almost all images made with this lens could have been made with another lens. You can single out almost any lens from Canon's very large lens range and easily get to that conclusion. There is almost no lens in Canon's entire lens range that is indispensable. Case in point: Any image made with the Canon TS-E 90 could also have been made with the TS-E 50. You have determined the conclusion in advance, and will use everything you see to support that conclusion.

A more positive approach would be "This is a very versatile lens. Let's see what it is possible to do with it. It can be used for Studio headshots, Landscape, product, macro, and whatnot. Bring on the examples and show the lens' potential!"

That may even well be patially in line with your intention, and I invite you to start a new image thread after the lens has reached the market, if you don't want to carry over the negative vibrations from this thread. I wish you well.

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:16 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

"it's too long as a one-and-only studio lens, any studio shooter will tell you this."

As a LONG time studio (and location) shooter - 35+ years now, which apparently you claim to be as well, you should know that you would never just own ONE lens of this type. This would undoubtedly be an adjunct to whatever else you have, and maybe you just have (or had) a really small studio. If you play golf, you surely don't have just a nine iron in your bag and nothing else, right? Hell, it's just a tool and to quote Kristofferson loosely, why put down something you don't understand. You might even surprise yourself and find new uses you never thought possible, even though you don't appear open to the possibilities at the moment.

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:58 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

i don't see the point of the Fuji GFX or the Hasselblad X1D, and yet they exist. As for all those Kickstarter-funded "historic reproductions of the a 1910 Biotar with Waterhouse stops at $1000". Well words fail me. Given this and the baffling way that companies do not seem to ask my opinion before producing new products, it seems to me that a 135m TSE is perfectly sensible in principle. It just presumably won't sell as well as the wide angle or 50 or 90 ones. No doubt this is reflected in the price, and hopefully Canon know this.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon TS-E 135mm 4L Macro Samples Gallery

dhphoto wrote:
Let me make myself clear here. I started this thread and commented on the other one because I see no point to this lens.

This lens is no yet available and without images from FMers until December, this thread lost its usefulness.
Also, if you see no point on the 135mm focal length (different compression, magnification), why would you want to see samples from it?

Let me lock this thread for now and perhaps bring it back in December when we are ready.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.