New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

iskraII
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233758-REG/techart_pro_talmea7_leica_m_lens_to.html

with new A9 firmware, one more reason to buy one

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:51 AM
jonrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

I was actually about to post this. It's a great price. I would be buying one if I didn't already have one.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:10 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

iskraII wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

with new A9 firmware, one more reason to buy one

Eye- AF is coming to your legendary alternative lenses. Just a few years back, who would have thought that it would be feasible

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:27 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

If it has been solved, then it's great news. And the price of $249 looks very good.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:35 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Ah, competition from Fotodiox I see is having an effect . . .

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:04 AM
hsiunghsiung
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

This or voigtlander vm-e close focus adapter? Im just worried that a new design will come out soon since techart finished the medium format adapter. The wobble after a few months from what I heard sounds risky

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

I doubt that a new Techart PRO design will come out soon because they've clearly poured all their resources over the last year or so into designing and manufacturing their new Canon EF to Fujifilm GFX adapter. Perhaps now they will turn their attention to either improving the firmware of the current TAP or designing a more robust Version 2 TAP. But given the glacial pace of their development process, I wouldn't hold my breath that either of those alternatives will happen promptly. As for the wobble, I've come to the conclusion that it's due to users mounting lenses that are too heavy for what is clearly a faulty design. BTW I love the TAP and will probably take advantage of the B&H special price to pick up a third copy.

hsiunghsiung wrote:
This or voigtlander vm-e close focus adapter? Im just worried that a new design will come out soon since techart finished the medium format adapter. The wobble after a few months from what I heard sounds risky

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:09 AM
balga

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

That's interesting, would love my voigtlander 35/1:2 in AF..
Does that adapter support A7s ?

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:08 PM
genji
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

balga wrote:
That's interesting, would love my voigtlander 35/1:2 in AF..
Does that adapter support A7s ?

No. The Techart PRO really only works well with Sony cameras that support 3rd party PDAF:

Sony A7 II
Sony A7R II
Sony A6300
Sony A6500
Sony A9

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:17 PM
balga

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Too bad then.. af-s would have been enough for me.. no big drama, thanks for the help 👍

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Eye AF only on A9 so far. Will be interesting to see if Sony updates the A7RII

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

I might be ordering one later today. Waiting to see if I can get infinity with the CV 35 1.7 and front filter. Fred gets his front filter today so should have a answer. Thanks for posting this

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:47 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

If Eye AF becomes a reality on the A7rii with TAP, then one will have an odd choice of buying an M mount lens for AF or a native E Mount lens designed for the sensor. For example, which is better, an M mount Voigtlander 35/1.2 or 35/1.7 versus a new Voigtlander 40/1.2? the latter will presumably work better with the sensor, but the former two will be autofocus with eye AF. I will have a similar decision on my ZM 35/1.4. It is serving me well with a front filter (and even without for landscape once stopped down). I suspect I will stick with my ZM which is now my only native M mount glass. I can even see increased utility for my 180/2.8 apo R mount Leica lens which is a stellar performer and with an R-M adapter, works on TAP (as does my 280/4 apo even) albeit within a limited range. But say I am doing portrait, how much more useful would the 180/2.8 with Eye AF? We live in interesting times technology wise!

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:00 PM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

I think CV 35/1.2 is a bit too large and heavy for TAP to be used comfortably, I never felt like using mine with TAP while I still had the lens. Had a feeling it would wear out the adapter. 35/1.7 on the other hand is very nice with TAP. I alternate between using TAP and CV close focus adapter (MF but with close focusing capability) and Rayqual adapter (80g lighter, no close focusing) depending on what and how I feel like shooting. TAP makes focusing quick but it has some quirks and sometimes MF is more enjoyable.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Luvwine wrote:
If Eye AF becomes a reality on the A7rii with TAP, then one will have an odd choice of buying an M mount lens for AF or a native E Mount lens designed for the sensor. For example, which is better, an M mount Voigtlander 35/1.2 or 35/1.7 versus a new Voigtlander 40/1.2? the latter will presumably work better with the sensor, but the former two will be autofocus with eye AF. I will have a similar decision on my ZM 35/1.4. It is serving me well with a front filter (and even without for landscape once stopped down). I
...Show more

We know that rangefinder lenses are not optimized for the Sony's thicker stack. I see three side-effects with wide angle lenses:

1) Induced field curvature
2) Increased astigmatism
3) Resolution degradation at MFD or closer. (If the lens does not have FLE)

"1" and "2" can be mitigated by using a PCX front-lens but "3" can't be really fixed.
Also "3" becomes an even bigger issue when using adapters that allow focusing at even closer distances. (helicoid adapter like TAP, Hawks, etc..)

TAP and PCX are great options for wide angle rangefinder lenses but a native lens (designed for the Sony sensor) will always give better performance at close and long distances.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:55 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Fred Miranda wrote:
We know that rangefinder lenses are not optimized for the Sony's thicker stack. I see three side-effects with wide angle lenses:

1) Induced field curvature
2) Increased astigmatism
3) Resolution degradation at MFD or closer. (If the lens does not have FLE)

"1" and "2" can be mitigated by using a PCX front-lens but "3" can't be really fixed.
Also "3" becomes an even bigger issue when using adapters that allow focusing at even closer distances. (helicoid adapter like TAP, Hawks, etc..)

TAP and PCX are great options for wide angle rangefinder lenses but a native lens (designed for the Sony sensor) will always
...Show more

Agreed--at least in the wide angle realm. However, my point, such as it was, is that we have a choice between increased performance (the amount of which varies depending on the lens, presence or absence of PCX front filter, and application) and autofocus on TAP--now with Eye AF. It is just odd to me that we have an AF adapter for manual focus lenses but not one that will work with manual focus native mount lenses.... This leads to a choice between convenience and performance.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Luvwine wrote:
Agreed--at least in the wide angle realm. However, my point, such as it was, is that we have a choice between increased performance (the amount of which varies depending on the lens, presence or absence of PCX front filter, and application) and autofocus on TAP--now with Eye AF. It is just odd to me that we have an AF adapter for manual focus lenses but not one that will work with manual focus native mount lenses.... This leads to a choice between convenience and performance.

TAP's EyeAF only works with the A9 currently. I'm sure it will be supported on new cameras though. (A7III and A7RIII)
Also, TAP' AF is only really effective and accurate around the center area. Once you start positioning your subject beyond mid-field, it will start hunting. (Even with fast 35mm lenses)...

...So, although it has the EyeAF functionality, it's not like shooting with native AF lenses.

Today, I will receive my 5m PCX and will test with TAP. Hopefully, it will allow infinity focusing for the CV 35/1.7 Ultron.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:22 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Sorry fellows, but I'm going to play a bit the devil's advocate part ( or rain in your parade, if you wish).
Don't forget that lenses with internal focusing won't perform optimally with external focusing helicoids. Also, those 4,5mm of extension are clearly insufficient for lenses above 50mm. You have to prefocus manually all the time. Last, but non least, the flimsy mechanical construction ( meaning wobble in the long term ) and the mostly nonexistent customer support from Techart.
I'd say this TAP adapter might come very handy for smallish lenses below 50mm without internal focusing but it's far from an universal remedy for all infirmities.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

Yea I will only use it for my CV 35 1.7 if it gets infinity. I donít want anything bigger in it. This may eliminate the need for a AF lens

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:56 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Techart pro for $249 at B and H, 24hrs only

I bought one to try on my Olympus OM 50 1.2 lens. Now I need to find a good OM to Leica M adapter. Anyone have a recommendation for the adapter?

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password