8              10       11       end

1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
Here is the Raw file from a friend that also has an 1Dx mark II:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzrl87u7qalah5y/PHAQ4024.CR2?dl=0

Feel free to play with it. I noticed one small area with a brush like streak but barely visible and clearly not as bad as my sensor. If my sensor was like that, i would not bother to have it sent in. But, that is not my camera...

Here's what I found on your friend's sensor. It's not that significant, but it does show that IT IS still there, nonetheless. I probably wouldn't be inclined to do anything about these marks. The point is, again, however, that there's something going on with the production of these sensors; some sensors just have these markings worse than others.

Sensor Image

My original sensor from my original 1DX Mark II was still the worst I've seen.

Edited on Oct 06, 2017 at 06:23 AM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2017 at 10:29 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
Here's what I found on your friend's sensor. It's not that significant, but it does show that IT IS still there, nonetheless. I probably wouldn't be inclined to do anything about these marks. The point is, again, however, that there's something going on with the production of these sensors; some sensors just have these markings worse than others.

Greg Schneider's Sensor Image

My original sensor from my original 1DX Mark II was still the worst I've seen.

Greg is not my friend. Lol. No offense but you mixed up some peeps now.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:07 AM
Chimping

p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
Greg is not my friend. Lol. No offense but you mixed up some peeps now.

My apologies. Doing too many things at once this evening!

Either way, that was the RAW file you linked, just the wrong name.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:21 AM
Gust
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I'll make it even more confusing, Gust told me that there is no cleaning machine. I confronted my rep. With Gust's experience, but the rep. Swore he had seen the cleaning machine with his own eyes and that he has seen it in action cleaning sensors...

Yes indeed, there is no machine in Germany.
The leading technician in Willich told me how they clean the sensors and that by hand.
If there was a cleaning machine, CPS NL would not ever clean anymore, because they scratched also several sensors.

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:23 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Oct 06, 2017 at 12:36 PM
Gust
• •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Canon is paying? I know the invoice!

Gust wrote:
It is 100% scratched sensor. the same damage was on my sensor last year.
Chimping no scratch ?:
No, it's not damaged. It's a defect. If you look at the sensor it will appear fine. These lines are under the glass.

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:21 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Gust wrote:
Canon is paying? I know the invoice!

Gust wrote:
It is 100% scratched sensor. the same damage was on my sensor last year.
Chimping no scratch ?:
No, it's not damaged. It's a defect. If you look at the sensor it will appear fine. These lines are under the glass.

Initially they said the warranty was void. Then i replied that i never ever touched the sensor, and let that be a wise lesson to everyone. If you touch your sensor, and you find out a defect after, your warranty is void! And you will pay for a sensor replacement. Eventually they admitted that this is a warranty issue, and i am at this moment still waiting for an e-mail confirmation that THEY will pay for it, and not me... Fingers crossed!

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:24 PM
Gust
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Canon did the cleaning! So what reaction is CPS NL given?

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:27 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Gust wrote:
Canon did the cleaning! So what reaction is CPS NL given?

CPS rep. told me that he doubted the necessity of the entire sensor replacement and wondered if another cleaning attempt would fix it. But after some thinking he sort of justified the reason and a lot of blabla (sensor placement/tweaking, didn't even know that was all possible. dust issue etc.) he came around and told that if a replacement fixed my issue, he was happy.

On my 2nd question; what if the replacement sensor had the same line problems, would justify another repair ticket for replacement, he replied; "I doubt that they will replace it again for you". So i asked, will they, after replacing the sensor, do the same tests as i did to make sure i won't be sending it in again, he replied; "No, they will just replace the sensor and ship it, no tests done". I find that way of working very strange. If i deliver a product to one of my clients, and he returns it because of a defect, i make sure the client will be more than happy after the replacement. But maybe that's how it goes with these large companies. QC is something to work on for Canon.

p.s. Still no confirmation from the repair centre that this is going to be fixed under warranty...

Oct 06, 2017 at 01:46 PM
Chimping

p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
Initially they said the warranty was void. Then i replied that i never ever touched the sensor, and let that be a wise lesson to everyone. If you touch your sensor, and you find out a defect after, your warranty is void! And you will pay for a sensor replacement. Eventually they admitted that this is a warranty issue, and i am at this moment still waiting for an e-mail confirmation that THEY will pay for it, and not me... Fingers crossed!

Indeed. This is why I will absolutely not touch the sensors on these 1DX Mark II cameras anymore. I learned the hard way from my sensor replacement and I was lucky to have the store that attempted to clean it cover the bill.

It's far safer to have Canon do the cleaning. If they fail, or cause an issue, it's on them and they will have to make it right.

I am sure they will cover the cost now. I'd be surprised if they don't.

Did you send your rep or CPS agent any of the other photos from the other cameras? It might be worth while so they have a whole bunch of different files to look at, and so that they can also acknowledge that this is a problem with more than one camera.

While they are replacing the sensor, the oil/dust issue will still remain. When you get your camera back check for the dust/oil problem after every use. See if it persists.

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
I find that way of working very strange. If i deliver a product to one of my clients, and he returns it because of a defect, i make sure the client will be more than happy after the replacement.

I get that too many times. Basically the rule seems to be the company fixes whatever they think they can't get away with, not what's best for the client. Am I too cynical?

Oct 06, 2017 at 03:26 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · 1DX II Sensor issues

That is how most companies operate, everything they do and respond to has an ROI analysis performed. It took a long time before Canon finally agreed to fix up the 1D3 with the mirror box/AF issue.

Oct 06, 2017 at 04:16 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I have my eye on a used 1Dx from a reputable dealer, 2.5k w/ one year warranty and 7 day return policy. My other option is a 4129 new 5D mkIV, which is not quite what I want and a lot more expensive.

Is there a way to test and assess with a reasonable degree of certainty that this unit is not affected regarding excessive spots on the sensor, be it dust or oil or particles or whatever?

Oct 06, 2017 at 06:42 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Yes, to perform the test like described before.

Oct 06, 2017 at 07:21 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Thanks. I did read about the PP operations to exhibit issues. Shoot some shots at f/32, use Dehaze 100%, lift contrast and blacks. That's it right?

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. What i meant was: what if the sensor is clean when I receive the unit? Let's assume for arguments sake that I receive an affected 1Dx body. Then what do I need to do to make the issue apparent. Just spray away at 12fps for what, a couple of 100 frames, is that enough? I mean those who own an affected body, do you see the spots accumulate immediately and continuously or can it be clean for a while and then suddenly start to get muddy after say 5000 shots?

I apologise if I seem too anal about this but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's a lot of cash and a used 1Dx is aged enough to lose money when reselling the unit to a private seller.

Oct 06, 2017 at 09:45 PM
ivanku

p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Thank you everyone for replying to my original post. Here's a follow up question... it seems that this thread has become mainly folks who have problems with their 1DX II, and are posting sample photos to illustrate their issue. On the first page, however, a few folks made quick posts that said, "have the camera, no issues." Could anyone using the 1DX II and not experiencing problems take a photo of a plain background at f22 or f32? Of course dust specks will show up and that's normal - but for those who believe their cameras exhibit no issue, it would be a useful confirmation that they indeed have no problems with lubricant spots on the sensor like some of the other users.

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Chimping

p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · 1DX II Sensor issues

rabbitmountain wrote:
Thanks. I did read about the PP operations to exhibit issues. Shoot some shots at f/32, use Dehaze 100%, lift contrast and blacks. That's it right?

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. What i meant was: what if the sensor is clean when I receive the unit? Let's assume for arguments sake that I receive an affected 1Dx body. Then what do I need to do to make the issue apparent. Just spray away at 12fps for what, a couple of 100 frames, is that enough? I mean those who own an affected body, do you see the spots
...Show more

Assuming the camera comes with a clean sensor, I would go out a take a few hundred shots with it. Make sure that the return policy will allow for the camera to be used a bit so you don't fire off a bunch of shots and then be told you've used the camera too much.

I was do a variation of burst shooting and just normal single shots. Check the sensor and see if it remains the same or is worse.

One of the best ways to check a sensor is the Dehaze tool in Lightroom CC. It will show everything. Now, you need to be realistic in your expectations; every sensor is going to show dust...especially at f/22-32. My own philosophy is if it's not too bad at f/14-16 then I don't worry much about it. That being said, however, you still don't want hundreds and hundreds of spots like what has been exhibited in this thread.

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:12 PM
Chimping

p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ivanku wrote:
Thank you everyone for replying to my original post. Here's a follow up question... it seems that this thread has become mainly folks who have problems with their 1DX II, and are posting sample photos to illustrate their issue. On the first page, however, a few folks made quick posts that said, "have the camera, no issues." Could anyone using the 1DX II and not experiencing problems take a photo of a plain background at f22 or f32? Of course dust specks will show up and that's normal - but for those who believe their cameras exhibit no issue, it
...Show more

Quite a few people have already posted photos of their sensors in this thread now. I agree, though...it would be nice if a few more people would still post either zoomed in shots at a narrow enough aperture to see the amount of debris accumulating on their sensors, or just post a RAW file for us to examine.

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:14 PM
jrhoffman75
• •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Lightroom has a Visualize Spots tool at the bottom of the frame when the Spot Tool is activated.

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:15 PM
ivanku

p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Hey chimping - I appreciate everyone's photos and samples, they're a really great resource. But they've come from folks who already knew they had a problem with their cameras. It would be great if the folks who are saying that their 1DX II's are performing perfectly took some sample photos at a very narrow aperture that either supported their experience, or revealed the oil problem that they handnt observed through regular shooting.

The samples from "everything is fine" users would support one of two theories:

1) some 1DX II bodies are completely unaffected by the oil splatter issue

2) all or most 1DX II bodies develop the oil-on-sensor problem, but some users don't notice it because of their shooting style

Oct 06, 2017 at 11:22 PM
1       2       3              6      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password