1       2      
       4              10       11       end

1DX II Sensor issues

rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 1DX II Sensor issues

kosin wrote:
I'm guessing you are shooting birds and most likely shoot below f/8. If that's the case, you won't notice it much And if you do, oil spots should appear within the 1st year of ownership. At that time, if it is excessive, you will be able to have it serviced by Canon under the warranty.

what i haven't seen discussed here are the early mkII reports of fierce wet cleanings in case of oil splatter could harm or even break the sensor, something specific for the mark II. The cleaning job appeared to be so challenging that Dutch canon repair centres decided to send the 1Dx2 bodies in to Germany, leaving a two to three week turnaround.

Is this unchanged? I could live with the periodic sensor cleaning but those initial reports seem like a total hassle.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:28 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 1DX II Sensor issues

rabbitmountain wrote:
what i haven't seen discussed here are the early mkII reports of fierce wet cleanings in case of oil splatter could harm or even break the sensor, something specific for the mark II. The cleaning job appeared to be so challenging that Dutch canon repair centres decided to send the 1Dx2 bodies in to Germany, leaving a two to three week turnaround.

Is this unchanged? I could live with the periodic sensor cleaning but those initial reports seem like a total hassle.

If you are referring to the reports that the 1DX II sensor had to cleaned 'in house' they were proven to be fake - a misguided rumour.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 1DX II Sensor issues

WarrenL wrote:
I have a severe oil issue on one of my 1dx2 bodies. This is shot at F11. I was unable to use most of the images as the top left corner is so bad... I am uploading an image that is of no use to me, as it was the first in a series of an aircraft fly by.

Here is a cropped version with the clarity slider at 99%
http://silverreflection.ca//actionpix/files/1dx-oil.jpg

Here is the original unedited JPG:
http://silverreflection.ca//actionpix/files/1dx-oil-orig.jpg

That is crazy!! Even my 1DX which I complain about wasn't anything like that....not even close....

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:53 PM
Chimping

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
CPS does not do anything here. They just assign a representative that helps you when in trouble or when you require a loaner. Here we have independent approved repair centres that repair your gear on behalf of Canon.

Just performed a dry clean with a blower in a dust free environment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iafo2pvt2ap3wvw/screenshot.jpg?dl=0

Here is a RAW file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n29ebc26m1y6b3o/_W8I6598.CR2?dl=0

Thank you. I havenít had time to download the raw shot yet, but I will look at it tomorrow.

That is interesting that Canon doesnít have their own service centres in the Netherlands. Iíd still go to one of their approved centres, however. They will still offer a warranty and be obliged to fix any damage if it were to occur. I make a point of only going through Canon after a third party, not affiliated with Canon, scratched my 1DX2 sensor. Itís sometimes inconvenient, but the minimal worry and proper warranty makes it worth it.

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:35 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Not at all. I know for certain that DSP, one of the two repair centres in the Netherlands that represent Canon for service, could not clean 1Dx2 sensors if there was oil splatter on them. I know of at least one 1Dx2 user whose 1Dx2 had to be sent to Germany for sensor cleaning because they weren't allowed to do it in house. Supposedly at canon HQ in Germany they have a special dedicated machine for this. Specifically they said that this policy is for 1Dx2 bodies only, 1Dx bodies they could clean in house, even with oil splatter.

I shall give them a ring on Monday to find out.

Paul Mo wrote:
If you are referring to the reports that the 1DX II sensor had to cleaned 'in house' they were proven to be fake - a misguided rumour.

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:31 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 1DX II Sensor issues

rabbitmountain wrote:
Not at all. I know for certain that DSP, one of the two repair centres in the Netherlands that represent Canon for service, could not clean 1Dx2 sensors if there was oil splatter on them. I know of at least one 1Dx2 user whose 1Dx2 had to be sent to Germany for sensor cleaning because they weren't allowed to do it in house. Supposedly at canon HQ in Germany they have a special dedicated machine for this. Specifically they said that this policy is for 1Dx2 bodies only, 1Dx bodies they could clean in house, even with oil splatter.
...Show more

So heavily oiled sensors had to be sent in, but 1DX II sensors are just like all the rest - user serviceable (cleanable).

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:08 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Just a quick question.....if you see on the photo that the debris is on the upper left, when you look into the sensor where is the debris really located?

Sep 30, 2017 at 02:12 PM
ivanku

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Looking into the lens mount, it would be in the top right corner of your sensor

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:13 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Herb wrote:
Just a quick question.....if you see on the photo that the debris is on the upper left, when you look into the sensor where is the debris really located?

ivanku wrote:
Looking into the lens mount, it would be in the top right corner of your sensor

Isn't the image, projected on the sensor, upside down?
In your case Herb, dust will be in the lower right corner...

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:11 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 1DX II Sensor issues

WarrenL wrote:
I have a severe oil issue on one of my 1dx2 bodies. This is shot at F11. I was unable to use most of the images as the top left corner is so bad... I am uploading an image that is of no use to me, as it was the first in a series of an aircraft fly by.

Here is a cropped version with the clarity slider at 99%
http://silverreflection.ca//actionpix/files/1dx-oil.jpg

Here is the original unedited JPG:
http://silverreflection.ca//actionpix/files/1dx-oil-orig.jpg

If I saw this regularly, I would be very concerned!

I remember having similar results back in 20D/40D days before the introduction of the "Auto Cleaning" in Canon cameras. Since then, I've never seen this much debris in my cameras.

Are you sure these are all oil spots and not dust particles?
I would think that mirror box or something else is not sealed properly and is letting the dust in...

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 1DX II Sensor issues

kosin wrote:

I think this is more correct. I took my lens off the camera and it does indeed invert the image....thank you!

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:56 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 1DX II Sensor issues

These specks are debris (coating) and oil particles. Ask Gust, he has a few detailed images of the mirror box. The coating on the inside is seperating from the magnesium body and together with lubricant, from the moving parts, they are thrown on the sensor. Especially with high shutter speeds.

Replaced sensors are no hoax.
Oil and debris are no hoax. All the images speak for themselves.

According to Ralph's story about cleaning. It is allmost all true, although the cleaning machine in germany is never officially confirmed. But sensors have been replaced. Repair centres were afraid to clean them (or even refused to do so) and my Canon rep. Is still avoiding a proper answer.

This Tuesday i am bringing my body in for a clean and check and we'll see from there. Fingers crossed.

P.s. Just checked my girlfriends 7D II which has been abused like crazy for 2 years now (lens swaps, sometimes walking with an open mirrorbox housing). F22, ZERO dust spots.
Also checked my 5D mark IV after using it a whole day on Hi Speed and several lens swaps, F22, ZERO dust spots. Just saying....

Sep 30, 2017 at 04:57 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
These specks are debris (coating) and oil particles. Ask Gust, he has a few detailed images of the mirror box. The coating on the inside is seperating from the magnesium body and together with lubricant, from the moving parts, they are thrown on the sensor. Especially with high shutter speeds.

and so the plot thickens. I had no idea about the "coating" separation. This would somewhat explain that excessive dust spots. Geez...

I just reread previous posts and it looks like the most amount of the debris is showing in the upper left corner of the image. Is it just a coincidence, or is there more to it? Are there known examples of this excessive "dusting" but in other areas of the image? If not, maybe there is one particular part that wears off quicker and affects only this corner... or maybe the "grease/oil" that Canon uses, splashes on the paint surface inside the body, reacts with the paint which at the end "flakes off" and lands on the sensor...

WOW, I had no idea...

Now, if one buys used 1DXII should definitely request a photo at f/22

Sep 30, 2017 at 08:30 PM
Chimping

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 1DX II Sensor issues

kosin wrote:

Technically, this is correct; the debris will be on the bottom right of the sensor. You must keep in mind, however, that when you flip the camera over and peer into the lens mount that it will look to you as if the debris is on the lower left.

Edited on Oct 02, 2017 at 03:14 AM · View previous versions

Oct 01, 2017 at 02:14 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I have dropped my camera off at Canon for a "sensor" clean. I will update when I get it back.

Oct 02, 2017 at 02:05 AM
Chimping

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 1DX II Sensor issues

WarrenL wrote:
I have dropped my camera off at Canon for a "sensor" clean. I will update when I get it back.

Please keep us posted.

I have only used the camera lightly a handful of times since having my sensor cleaned recently by Canon, and I was out shooting Moraine Lake in Banff National Park yesterday and noticed Iím already getting a few spots showing at f/8. I have done minimal lens changes since receiving the camera back, and I have completely avoided changing lenses in the field as an experiment.

Such is life with this camera. Iíll keep an eye on it and see how quickly it gets dirty from here.

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:19 AM
WarrenL
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I use my 1DX's heavily for sports photography, always at max apertures and high frame rates. My 8 month old camera has over 450000 actuations, so I guess lots of opportunity for stuff to get on the sensor.

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:56 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I've had multiple 1D bodies since the 1D2 came out and every one of them had to be cleaned on a regular basis if I wanted a pristine sensor. I shoot sports so I don't see it most of the time but if I was doing a planned event that needed larger apertures I would do a quick cleaning using either pecpad/eclipse or now I use the Visible Dust wet method.

My 1DX (before or after recall fix) and 1DX2 really don't look any different then my other 1D bodies.

Certainly if I saw anything like WarrenL I would be sending it into Canon. My pattern of dust/debris is always random over the entire sensor not just in one place.

Oct 02, 2017 at 01:29 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ggreene wrote:
I've had multiple 1D bodies since the 1D2 came out and every one of them had to be cleaned on a regular basis if I wanted a pristine sensor. I shoot sports so I don't see it most of the time but if I was doing a planned event that needed larger apertures I would do a quick cleaning using either pecpad/eclipse or now I use the Visible Dust wet method.

My 1DX (before or after recall fix) and 1DX2 really don't look any different then my other 1D bodies.

Certainly if I saw anything like WarrenL I would be sending
...Show more

If you didnít clean the sensor in recent weeks, can you take a test shot at f/22 and post it here? Iím just curious what we might see there

Oct 02, 2017 at 04:38 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Ok so i had my sensor 'cleaned'. They took over an hour to do it and claimed that it was not an easy job. On the LCD everything looked much better than before. But when i returned home i saw the same streaks others have posted. Seems like some of the residue is still on the sensor.

Before:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m60p96xsb8t3do2/voor.jpg?dl=0

After:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j70kehizg0b4r7u/na.jpg?dl=0

You tell me...

Oct 03, 2017 at 03:12 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register