1       2       3              19      
       21       22       23       end

1DX II Sensor issues

ggreene
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
If i am instructed on how to safely clean my sensor without damaging it and Canon provides free cleaning tools to compensate for their design flaw i might say i am sort of satisfied.

OMG, I've been cleaning 1D sensors since 2004. The 1DX2 is no different then the others. I've used the typical wet method every time with no issues. If you want to blame Canon for something how about the awful scare tactics they use for cleaning sensors.

Dec 05, 2017 at 03:04 PM
therealthings
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Yes the sensor is different. The new top layer coating is shared by the 5dsr, 80d and 5d mark IV. This is confirmed by several Canon employees.

Let me sum it up for you:

My sensor > damaged
Chimpings sensor > damaged
Gusts sensor > damaged
David Pattyn's sensor > damaged
Canon Rep's cleaning job on a loaner > damaged

Now a lot of those sensors have been cleaned by official cleaning centers. My repair center took AN HOUR!!! cleaning my sensor and it was still dirty. Conclusion, debris was welded to my sensor because it was on there too long...

Look, i don't care if you clean sensors since ages. Make a youtube vid on how to properly clean it and show your results afterwards, it might help people instead of claiming something that did not work with the above people and cleaning centers.

Here's a statement from the head of one of the best cleaning centers in NL:
"Blijf er bij de 1Dx en de 1Dx mkII zijn op dit moment de meest verontreinigde camera's die er zijn, en wat doet Canon? die steekt de kop in het zand!" - Ton Niessing, Chipclean.

Which translates to, Stay away from the 1Dx and the 1Dx mkII, they are the most polluted camera's to date, and what does Canon? They stick their heads in the sand!

And another statement from him:

"De vervuiling komt uit de camara zelf, sluiter en stoffering in de behuizing, het blijft maar komen. En wij blijven maar poetsen! 150 opnames van de Canon 1Dx mkII voor en na clean opgestuurd naar Canon en we horen 0.0 terug. Ja zeggen ze je moet de camera ook langszamer zetten ipv 14 naar 8 per sec. En diafragma niet hoger als f8 dan heb je er geen last van?"

Translates to:

The pollution comes from inside of the camera, shutter and coating from inside the housing, it just keeps coming. And we keep on cleaning! 150 shutter actuations of the 1Dx mkII before and after sent to Canon and we hear 0.0. Yes they respond not to use 14fps, but just 8. And aperture not wider than f8 then you won't notice?

Dec 05, 2017 at 05:20 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · 1DX II Sensor issues

And yet I would bet there are tons of people cleaning all those bodies sensors with no issues. Who the hell wants to waste time shipping a camera into the Service Center for just a cleaning? I have better use for my gear then that.

Seriously, wet the FF swab with fluid and run it across the sensor. That's 2 steps. You need a YT video for that?

Dec 05, 2017 at 06:45 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
Oh and by the way, if you are no fan of Art and think he is biased. Maybe we can throw another award winning photographer into the mix. Please read here: https://m.facebook.com/david.pattyn.50/posts/1963109727262418?pnref=story
Also feel free to read the responses. Behind the scenes there are more pro's investigated that don't want to go public on it.

I thought we finished this topic already...

For the millionth time. My comments about Art were made on his current camera choice not his issue with 1DXII. Read how all this mess started on page 18, last comment: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1510567/17#14275790 - Chimping misunderstood my point and blew up for no reason...

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:51 AM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · 1DX II Sensor issues

kosin wrote:
Chimping misunderstood my point and blew up for no reason...

Nope, you were causing trouble.

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:08 AM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ggreene wrote:
And yet I would bet there are tons of people cleaning all those bodies sensors with no issues.

The guy that scratched my sensor had been cleaning sensors for years and had never damaged one, according to both him and his manager. Maybe that's a lie; who knows? Either way, my 1DX2 sensor was scratched, and it can just as easily happen to anyone.

ggreene:
Who the hell wants to waste time shipping a camera into the Service Center for just a cleaning?

Well, me for one. Having had my sensor scratched already and seeing how much the repair cost, the 1DX Mark II is not a camera I am willing to take any chances with.

The sensor assembly alone costs as much as an entry level full frame dSLRs.

In my opinion, the 1DX Mark II is not a camera people should either learn on, or work on, if they are inexperienced or nervous with cleaning sensors. While sending the camera away for a few days is an inconvenience, it's cheap insurance by comparison.

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:18 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
In my opinion, the 1DX Mark II is not a camera people should either learn on, or work on, if they are inexperienced or nervous with cleaning sensors.

Agreed. Inexperienced people should not start out on a $6000 pro body if they don't know what they are getting into.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:00 AM
josh-himes

p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Nope, you were causing trouble.

What are you, the forum cop?

There are plenty of people who use the 1DX/1DX2 professionally with no issues. I have owned 6 of these cameras in total - still have 4. There have been no problems other than the occasional shutter failure after 500K. They are no different in use than any other recent Canon body and the sensors clean up easily with eclipse fluid.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:28 AM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ggreene wrote:
Agreed. Inexperienced people should not start out on a $6000 pro body if they don't know what they are getting into.

I meant inexperienced at cleaning sensors, not using cameras.

If my post was unclear, I meant to say "the 1DX Mark II is not a camera people should learn to clean sensors on, or work on, if they are inexperienced or nervous with cleaning sensors."

However, to address your point on inexperienced people: people are fully entitled to purchase a camera of this calibre, even if it's their first. The fact is, Canon shouldn't release a shoddy product. There wouldn't be these problems that experts or novices have to worry about if their flagship behaved like all their other models -- i.e., not throwing crap all over the sensor.

Edited on Dec 06, 2017 at 04:46 AM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2017 at 04:10 AM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · 1DX II Sensor issues

josh-himes wrote:
What are you, the forum cop?

There are plenty of people who use the 1DX/1DX2 professionally with no issues. I have owned 6 of these cameras in total - still have 4. There have been no problems other than the occasional shutter failure after 500K. They are no different in use than any other recent Canon body and the sensors clean up easily with eclipse fluid.

I, and many others, have experienced the opposite in terms of issues, as well as cleaning experiences.

Thank you for contributing, however. I am glad to hear your four remaining cameras aren't giving you grief, and that you've had no problems.

Would you have any interest in helping out by taking a few hundred shots on one of your cameras after having just cleaned its sensor and posting the results?

I'm genuinely curious to see if cameras with high shutter actuations continue to throw crap on the sensor to the same degree.

Dec 06, 2017 at 04:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.20 #11 · p.20 #11 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:05 AM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #12 · p.20 #12 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JF_qwbhu5F8/hqdefault.jpg

Thanks. Can you teach me how to play?

Edited on Dec 06, 2017 at 05:13 AM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:07 AM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #13 · p.20 #13 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Here's some screenshots from the upper left frames of 8 different 1DX Mark II cameras.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/996gghcqmdxj8h7/AAAkFZl1PrDI3W9-zKmaA1C3a?dl=0

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:12 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.20 #14 · p.20 #14 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I was wondering, since we have a few very confident cleaners here on FM, if you could share your cleaning method/technique with us, and how clean that method gets your 1dx II sensor.

I'd like to know the exact products used, and method to use them step by step.
I just watched a video from Lensrentals but i can not believe anyone can walk through those steps in a few minutes. So please share...

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:09 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.20 #15 · p.20 #15 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Visible Dust Orange Swabs
Visible Dust VDust Plus Fluid (plus is more effective on oil)

I last cleaned my 1DX2 about 3 weeks ago after not cleaning it for almost a year and put 200K shots on it. It was dirty and definitely had the upper left accumulation. Nothing I could see at 5.6 though. Took 3 swabs using both sides to get it clean. I took f22 shots in between to see where I was at.

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.20 #16 · p.20 #16 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
I was wondering, since we have a few very confident cleaners here on FM, if you could share your cleaning method/technique with us, and how clean that method gets your 1dx II sensor.

I'd like to know the exact products used, and method to use them step by step.
I just watched a video from Lensrentals but i can not believe anyone can walk through those steps in a few minutes. So please share...

I used the blue gel stick by eyelead,

http://sensorgelstick.com/

It took me 3 cleaning cycles with the gel stick to get the stuff off I could see at f22. I didnt do the crazy adjustment to find the dust, just shot in the sky at f22 between cleanings.

What i liked about this method is that you dont drag the dust across the sensor. You basically press the gel stick down lightly on the sensor and lift up. Kind of like using a stamp pad. Do that around the sensor face getting by the edges. I found the edges to be a bit challenging because I didnt know if I was knocking off debris at the edges or not. To get close and not ride the area around the sensor was a bit challenging, but not impossible.

They make another gel stick that doesnt have the tackiness that this one does and I might get that as well as that might be more gentle on the sensor face in terms of lifting off the top of the protective layer.

At any rate if you arent dragging across the screen I dont see how you can put scratches in the protective layer. There is probably a way, but only if you drag as opposed to up and down.

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #17 · p.20 #17 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ggreene wrote:
It was dirty and definitely had the upper left accumulation.

Well, at least there's an acknowledgement from you that your sensor gets the crud in the upper left too. It's a universal characteristic of this camera, but why?

Again, I ask: Whether you think it's oil or just dust, why does this seem perfectly normal?

Nothing I could see at 5.6 though.

Yeah, for those that stick to wide apertures it's never a problem. For those of us who use the camera for general shooting purposes it's a real problem.

These tutorials have been around for years; they all say the thing. I still maintain that if you're uncomfortable with the idea of cleaning you should not attempt it yourself, especially on the 1DX Mark II. Even if Canon does a crappy job cleaning the sensor, they're the ones responsible if anything goes wrong.

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:07 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.20 #18 · p.20 #18 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Just got off the phone with the owner of the cleaning center i spoke about earlier. And i think he's credible as he has serviced over 300 1dxII's. He told me never ever to dry clean a 1dxII, nor 5dIV. The upper coating is going to scratch with a dry cleaning method and he told me that is what went wrong with those damaged sensors.

He only wet cleans with swabs (like ggreene said), and is able to clean the sensor of all debris. Though he still said the dxII is the most polluting professional camera he has seen in his company, and that it requires cleanings often. But the cleaning cycles become less frequent over time.

P.s. he also told me that, on the contrary to the answers about the D5 in the Nikon forum, he needs to clean a lot of D5's as well, but it is not nearly as bad as the dxII.

Edited on Dec 08, 2017 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2017 at 06:54 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.20 #19 · p.20 #19 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Herb wrote:
I used the blue gel stick by eyelead,

http://sensorgelstick.com/

It took me 3 cleaning cycles with the gel stick to get the stuff off I could see at f22. I didnt do the crazy adjustment to find the dust, just shot in the sky at f22 between cleanings.

What i liked about this method is that you dont drag the dust across the sensor. You basically press the gel stick down lightly on the sensor and lift up. Kind of like using a stamp pad. Do that around the sensor face getting by the edges. I found the edges to be a
...Show more

I totally understand the theory of 'stamping' vs 'swiping'. I would be more comfortable with that also.

Dec 07, 2017 at 06:56 PM
Chimping
• •
p.20 #20 · p.20 #20 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
Just got off the phone with the owner of the cleaning center i spoke about earlier. And i think he's credible as he has serviced over 300 1dxII's. He told me never ever to dry clean a 1dxII, nor 5dIV. The upper coating is going to scratch with a dry cleaning method and he told me that is what went wrong with those damaged sensors.

He only wet cleans with swabs (like ggreene said), and is able to clean the sensor of all debris. Though he still said the dxII is the most polluting professional camera he has seen in his
...Show more

Interesting information, and good to know. Thank you.

Just to reference my own cleaning experience when my original sensor was scratched, it was Visible Dust swabs with cleaning solution that were used. I remember clearly because the guy who scratched it was showing me the box of swabs and what his technique was.

Anyways, too risky for me to attempt. If I keep the camera, itíll only be Canon touching its sensor.

Dec 07, 2017 at 07:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password