FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       15       16       end

1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Thank you for the images. I'll see if I can pass them along as soon as I can.

Oct 27, 2017 at 03:54 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I am going to say it again. And mark my words!

These sensor lines, that i call the brush stroke phenomenon, are Canons claims of all those so called 'damaged sensor by user'.

I have proven that these defects are widespread and do not occur with cleaning. It is a manufacturing defect. It does not matter if you have a recent model or an older one.

Oct 27, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
I am going to say it again. And mark my words!

These sensor lines, that i call the brush stroke phenomenon, are Canons claims of all those so called 'damaged sensor by user'.

I have proven that these defects are widespread and do not occur with cleaning. It is a manufacturing defect. It does not matter if you have a recent model or an older one.

http://www.therealthings.com/img/AI6I7343.gif

Yeah, that's definitely a grade-A example of the problem right there. That one is particularly bad.

Again, if other forum members could please send me RAW files I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm sending them to Canon so they can see.

If your camera doesn't have an issue, then great! Please send a RAW file to me at f/16-f/22 anyways because then Canon can perhaps narrow the problem down to certain production runs of the camera. In other words, I'd love to see files from both affected cameras and cameras that are perfectly normal!!!

Oct 28, 2017 at 04:14 PM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Thank you to the people who have sent me RAW files. You've all be a big help.

If there are more people on here than could please send me files it would be greatly appreciated. The more RAWs I have the better!

Oct 29, 2017 at 05:09 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I did some more testing with my latest copy that has a lot of those brush strokes.
They become visible from f10 and up where at f16 they are visible even without post processing if you know were they are.

The fact that i have seen files from copies that are near perfect is quite frustrating because all bodies i have had in my hands (except for 1 loaner that i still have here) including 2 brand new ones are affected by it. I just cannot accept that. Besides, the moment i will send my body in for cleaning, Canon is going to claim i damaged my sensor.

Oct 29, 2017 at 03:05 PM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I sent an e-mail to CPS with a Dropbox link yesterday to everyone's files. So far I haven't heard anything back. I will keep everyone posted.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:08 PM
Gust
• •
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Hereby a crop with a air disaster.
this body was cleaned by Canon Europe, now 7-8K shots later.
because all the bad story's about cleaning, I also took this body for a shoot in Spain.
I don't know what to do, I'm upset and the sensor must be cleaned, but don't know if I dare.

https://gvgfoto.stackstorage.com/s/WbgiqVqirmGez9U

Nov 02, 2017 at 08:58 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Gust wrote:
because all the bad story's about cleaning, I also took this body for a shoot in Spain.
I don't know what to do, I'm upset and the sensor must be cleaned, but don't know if I dare.

That image is shocking Guus! I would only have it cleaned in Germany again and take enough 'before' images at F32 to F8 for your defense in case they claim the sensor is damaged again.

Nov 02, 2017 at 09:04 AM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Gust wrote:

That is disgusting and outrageously bad.

Can you please send me the RAW of this shot? I want to send it to Canon too.

Nov 02, 2017 at 05:31 PM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · 1DX II Sensor issues

If there is anyone else here who would like to send me a RAW shot from their camera please let me know.

I have been forwarding all the information I have to Canon. There is an issue, and it needs to be dealt with ASAP. Any contributions help, whether they exhibit the issues stated in this thread or not.

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ggreene
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Mostly f2.8 with some f4.5-f5.6. I can't remember the last time I was above that.

I do agree that the upper left corner sees greater accumulation of crap on the DX's. I'm not seeing the excessive accumulation so quickly though. I just cleaned my 1DX2 and have taken roughly 12K shots in the last couple weeks and don't see much difference, maybe a few more spots but no immediate accumulation in the upper left.

As far as cleaning goes, I hesitated about doing it on my 1DX2 after the threads about a special machine but have blown it off as FUD. I did change to the Visible Dust Orange swabs and the V-Plus fluid to help with oil spots. So far I don't see any issues with it and see no streaks.

Nov 06, 2017 at 11:18 PM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ggreene wrote:
Mostly f2.8 with some f4.5-f5.6. I can't remember the last time I was above that.

I do agree that the upper left corner sees greater accumulation of crap on the DX's. I'm not seeing the excessive accumulation so quickly though. I just cleaned my 1DX2 and have taken roughly 12K shots in the last couple weeks and don't see much difference, maybe a few more spots but no immediate accumulation in the upper left.

As far as cleaning goes, I hesitated about doing it on my 1DX2 after the threads about a special machine but have blown it off as FUD.
...Show more

Thanks for your information, ggreene.

I'm going to send you a PM.

Nov 07, 2017 at 12:48 AM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · 1DX II Sensor issues

So far Canon is just giving the typical "forwarded to the appropriate parties" response. Nothing new, yet...

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Gust
• •
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
So far Canon is just giving the typical "forwarded to the appropriate parties" response. Nothing new, yet...

I think thats what Canon at the moment only can do:
Give no reaction or pretend when a sensor shows up with stripes: you scratched the sensor by yourself. [happens to therealthings]
Because if canon will admit there is something wrong, hell freezes over.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:39 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Gust wrote:

Looks like lubricant from the shutter (always worse in the top left hand corner). I own a D600 so well versed in this situation I wet clean the sensor myself 2-3 times a year so not a major issue for me, but if you have to send it away to be cleaned it's a costly & very frustrating exercise.

Cheers
Leigh

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · 1DX II Sensor issues

LMT1972 wrote:
Looks like lubricant from the shutter (always worse in the top left hand corner). I own a D600 so well versed in this situation I wet clean the sensor myself 2-3 times a year so not a major issue for me, but if you have to send it away to be cleaned it's a costly & very frustrating exercise.

Cheers
Leigh

It's costly, inconvenient, and there's no guarantee that the cleaning techs can actually clean the sensor adequately. Some sensors are so badly covered in dust and oil that, according to people in this thread, Canon has had to just replace the sensors.

This is just like the Nikon D600, in my opinion. The only difference is that 1DX Mark II owners tend to shoot expensive fast lenses wide open and don't notice the spots until much later.

Nov 12, 2017 at 02:02 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Never had any problems removing all the spots, though it does take multiple swabs to do this. Mine has about 60,000 actuations but still throwing oil on the sensor. At least Nikon finally came to the party with the D600 issue and replaced shutters or bodies for the 610. Hopefully Canon will do the same

Cheers
Leigh

Nov 12, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Gust
• •
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · 1DX II Sensor issues

LMT1972 wrote:
Never had any problems removing all the spots, though it does take multiple swabs to do this. Mine has about 60,000 actuations but still throwing oil on the sensor. At least Nikon finally came to the party with the D600 issue and replaced shutters or bodies for the 610. Hopefully Canon will do the same

Cheers
Leigh

Can you show a sensor pict with 1/32. I'm very curious about what your sensor looks like, because Canon has so many problems with cleaning this sensor. Perhaps you have the solution!

Nov 13, 2017 at 09:02 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · 1DX II Sensor issues

The solution is pretty easy really.
Stop putting utterly ridiculous expectations that have come from who knows where on the camera.
Go look at ANY and i mean ANY camera on the market at F32 and i will show you a dirty sensor.
Clean it and in twenty shots there will be dust present.
There are NO exceptions.
Im not sure what fantasy world some of you blokes live in but you have cetainly never used a body with a high speed shutter. Before if you think recurring dust is something new or unusual.
Do you think the inside of the camera is sime kind of sterile operating theater in there or something with little fairies furiously pumping to keep the dust out?
What sort of crazy expectations do people have in 2017? Or is it they just have absolutely no idea about the equipment they are buying then using?
Lets take a gray frame over expose it by 6 stops, then add 100 points of clarity, throw in 100 points of contrast what "exactly" do you expect to see other than a swirling mass of randomly generated noise?
Maybe a message from aliens? The Shroud of Turin with amessage from Jesus maybe?
i dont know but whatever you are looking for given the destruction you have inflicted on the file you could probably read the new testament if you look close enough.
The only evidence in 14 pages of gray files and pattern noise is just how distorted the expectations of people who buy cameras has become.
If i was working at Canon and someone sent me a beyond fully right edited file with 100 points of everything my response would be 100 points alright.
Wow you can get dust in a camera that shoots at 14Fps..really geez id never of worked that out?
And wow at F32 you can see it..simply incredible.
Have you heard of pec pads and eclipse and.cleaning your sensors regularly?
Or do you believe a digital SLR shoukd remain a perfectly clean sterile environment as well?
Or is it so crazy to believe that swapping lenses ten to twenty times a day with a 14Fps fan should stay perfectly sterile?
Guess what even after cleaning they wont be clean...they never will...ever...scarey hey.
And to top it off wow if i crank my files into a contorted grey mass or swirling noise i can see shapes and lines...Incredible.
And to top it off guys using Mk2's only shoot wide open to apparantly..lol..that statement alone gives an indication of just how little some people know about how the camera is used.
How surprising based off the first 14 pages...

Nov 13, 2017 at 04:22 PM
Chimping
• •
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Oh man, where do I begin? Your post would be hilarious if it just wasn't so stupid.

So, I guess the likes of Arthur Morris know nothing about how such cameras are used, huh? I mean, he is only a world renowned nature/wildlife photographer, and one of the original Canon Explorers of Light. I guess his problems are just made up too.

You're absolutely right, though...hundred and hundreds of oil spots and sensor lines that appear at common apertures don't affect REAL photographers at all. We are all just pretenders that bought really expensive equipment to bitch and moan.

Do you even have the 1DX Mark II? If so, prove us all wrong and post a photo of your sensor? In fact, I wish more people would send me photos of their clean sensors because then I could legitimately say there isn't a problem with this camera model. I would be really happy to submit normal looking RAWs to Canon for their inspection. So far, even those that said their sensors were fine have found that's not the case as soon as they have stopped down, which lends CREDENCE TO MY THEORY -- many folks don't often shoot these cameras at narrow. Furthermore, no other Canon model exhibits oil splatter to the degree the 1DX Mark II does.

I guess all those Nikon D600 users bitched about nothing too, and that there was zero reason for Nikon to recall that model and then eventually replace it? Those fools probably didn't understand their cameras too, just like us...

Look, pal...you're obviously the one who doesn't know what they are talking about, and I sincerely doubt you've taken the time to read the whole thread. Nice job showing how ignorant and petty you are by belittling peoples' problems.

For what reason did you feel the need to chime in, exactly? You've literally contributed nothing except for telling us we're all wrong or don't understand how to use our cameras.

i dont know but whatever you are looking for given the destruction you have inflicted on the file you could probably read the new testament if you look close enough.

Ha!

dehowie wrote:
The solution is pretty easy really.
Stop putting utterly ridiculous expectations that have come from who knows where on the camera.

... gives an indication of just how little some people know about how the camera is used.
How surprising based off the first 14 pages...

Edited on Nov 13, 2017 at 05:10 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:03 PM
       15       16       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

15       16       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password