FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              20       21       end

1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DX II Sensor issues

arbitrage wrote:
I mostly shoot wide open with f/4-f/8 combos. I get stuff on my sensors but I also get stuff on my 7D2, 5DSR, 5D3, 5D4 etc. Only my 1DX was noticeable in that it was excessive compared to my other bodies. My 1DX2 is within the normal range I'm used to. I do clean my sensor every few months, I do see stuff on it but that is normal...I do lots of sloppy TC swaps in the field with camera turned on so I expect stuff on there. My 1DX was obvious small oil spots though. I started a Poll
...Show more

Thanks for the response.

I find with my 1DX Mark II, specifically, that I notice debris showing at around f/8 in the top left corner of an image. If I really push an image in Macphun's Luminar or use the Dehaze tool in Lightroom, it obviously really shows the crud on the sensor earlier than it otherwise would.

My 1DX will accumulate much finer (smaller) spots which are noticeable at more narrow apertures, say like f/13-16. It always does this without fail, even after a sensor clean. I just wait until it gets annoying enough to do anything about it.

As I have said in other threads, I have had somewhat of an interesting experience with 1D cameras. I have had four in total now -- two 1DX's and two 1DX Mark II's -- and they all have had issues in some fashion. Canon replaced both my original 1DX and original 1DX Mark II, although the replacement of the 1DX Mark II was, I think, a good will gesture after a tech at an independent camera shop scratched my sensor during a botched cleaning (they paid for the repair), and I had just had the sensor replaced a month prior to that for a defect in the sensor stack. Canon contacted me and said that they were unable to do the repair, and that they would replace my camera with a new unit for the same cost as the sensor repair (which was $1700 CAD).

I asked Arthur Morris on his website about his oil splatter issues; he told me that they died down after awhile. So, I am hopeful that the more and more I use these cameras the less of an issue this is to worry about. I'm fortunate (and crazy) enough to own multiple cameras, and I often choose my camera depending on my mood for a job, so I am sure I don't wrack up the shutter actuation numbers as quickly as some do on these machines; however, that's part of what upsets me with these cameras - even with modest use they accumulate debris faster than other models from the same company. If it's a few hundred thousand actuations before things settle down, I might be in for a bit of a wait.

I'm glad your camera seems to be in the normal range of acceptable maintenance. I am positive, however, that more people would notice debris if they shot at narrower apertures rather than always shooting with a lens wide open. I guess that's the kicker, though; lots people buy these machines for speed and to use their fast lenses wide open the majority of the time. My theory is that this is an issue only noticed once people do a different kind of shooting with their 1D, such as landscapes or air shows for example, where there's a requirement to stop the aperture down.

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:31 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DX II Sensor issues

What worries me is what happens when these oil specks remain on the sensor for a while. Will they eat into the surface and inflict unrepairable damage. I dismissed the specks because they only showed from F16 but now i'm starting to see it from F8 and up in shots with sky. Test shots at F16 look bad. I really hope they are able to clean the sensor without damaging it.

Edited on Sep 29, 2017 at 05:26 AM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:06 AM
Chimping
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
What worries me is what happens when these oil specks remain on the sensor for a while. Will they eat into the surface and inflict unrepairable damage. I dismissed the specs because they only showed from F16 but now i'm starting to see it from F8 and up in shots with sky. Test shots at F16 look bad. I really hope they are able to clean the sensor without damaging it.

I don't think the oil spot will do anything other than sit there. It's whether Canon can clean them properly, which is the question. If it gives you any comfort, I sent Canon Canada my 1DX, 1DX Mark II, and 5DsR at the end of August for sensor cleanings, and Canon did an awesome bang-up job on all three of them.

The cameras still came back with two-three specs, but at f/22 that's perfectly acceptable in my opinion. You will never get a sensor completely clean, and considering just how bad my 1DX sensor was, I was very impressed.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:26 AM
Chimping
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Another issue that 1DX Mark II owners should be watching out for is a defect in the sensor stack. My original unit had what looked like brush markings all across the sensor. It was particularly bad on the left middle side of the frame. My camera was not an isolated unit, as the loaner unit Canon sent me also had similar markings, and several other forum members on DPreview and CanonRumors also had/have this issue.

Even my new replacement camera Canon gave me has one faint line in the top right, which is visible only after heavily manipulating the file. I have now seen a total of six 1DX Mark II cameras which exhibit this problem.

I'd post a picture but it says I can't upload anything unless I pay money, or subscribe, or something... I'll have to upload the file somewhere else and link to it later.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:30 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
I don't think the oil spot will do anything other than sit there. It's whether Canon can clean them properly, which is the question. If it gives you any comfort, I sent Canon Canada my 1DX, 1DX Mark II, and 5DsR at the end of August for sensor cleanings, and Canon did an awesome bang-up job on all three of them.

The cameras still came back with two-three specs, but at f/22 that's perfectly acceptable in my opinion. You will never get a sensor completely clean, and considering just how bad my 1DX sensor was, I was very impressed.

Good to hear about your positive experience. I hope they are able to clean mine as well next week. Will share my experience accordingly.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:30 AM
Chimping
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Hopefully this link works to show what I mean. It's easiest to see the marks when shot at a narrow aperture and by adjusting the Dehaze tool in Lightroom CC.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:35 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Those smears look like a damaged sensor after cleaning. I have seen these streaks before after a cleaning job.

This is my sensor after a year of minimal use:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c6adygthv1b1c0l/_W8I6591.jpg?dl=0

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:52 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Canon kept telling me that my 1Dx didn't have a problem, and the spots were just normal etc etc I paid for a Canon sensor clean at £140 and then put a les on it at return and took a photo of the sky - no spots. I took the ensemble to an airshow and sent them an image of the sky after 67 shutter actuations - they replaced the sensor and shutter box!! Images of my sensor before cleaning can be found at:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/600984/4245#13201534
Niall

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:46 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
For those of you that said that you werenít having any issues, what is the maximum aperture that you stop down to?

I really donít buy it that your sensors are free from oil or dust, especially if you shoot in burst regularly.

I have both the 1DX and the Mark II, and they both suffer from the same issue Ė excess oil being thrown on the sensor.

I too try to avoid the H Burst mode unless I am shooting something that absolutely requires it, for this reason.

I have searched Nikon forums and they donít seem to complain about this
...Show more

Hmmm, really... you checked the net and did not find any complaints of Nikon cameras and oil on the sensor?

http://www.jamespictures.co.uk/2012/nikon-d7000-oil-on-sensor-problem/
https://nikonites.com/d500/37485-oil-spots-sensor.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/25/nikon-d600-dust-problem-solved-owners-get-repair-they-have-been-waiting-for

Lots more... do a google search "Nikon oil on sensor"

I believe its a common problem with most DSLR's due to lens changing and of course hi speed shutters.
Wet cleaning and regular cleaning with a rocket blower has been the norm since I started shooting digital.
I would consider this regular maintenance if you own a dslr.

I do shoot birds, and change lenses and converters in the the field so picking up dust has always been an issue.

And with diffraction, I normally don't shoot any lens over f/11 to f16 in normal use. If trying to reduce my shutter speed while shooting a sunrise, I will of course shoot at times at f22.

Personally, I did not spend 6k to tone down the cameras frame rate by not using the full burst speed of 14fps.

I will admit that my 1Dx right out of the box needed to have the sensor wet cleaned. I figured I would try and clean it myself rather than sending it in for service. After that initial wet cleaning, regular maintenance by blowing and wet cleaning kept the sensor clean. The 1DxII never exhibited the oil problems of the 1Dx when new, and regular maintenance keeps it clean.

Just wondering... do you change the oil in your car regularly? lol

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Chimping
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:
Those smears look like a damaged sensor after cleaning. I have seen these streaks before after a cleaning job.

Unfortunately, no, those were markings left over from the manufacturing process. Looking at the sensor it was pristine.

Canon agreed it was a defect and replaced the whole sensor unit. I also sent them files from several 1DX Mark II cameras which exhibited the same phenomena.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

garydavidjones
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DX II Sensor issues

No problems in six months of use of 1Dxii, including lots of bursts
shooting hummingbirds, sea birds, etc.
Bought Canon Carepak just in case.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:02 AM
Chimping
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Mike Veltri wrote:
Hmmm, really... you checked the net and did not find any complaints of Nikon cameras and oil on the sensor?

http://www.jamespictures.co.uk/2012/nikon-d7000-oil-on-sensor-problem/
https://nikonites.com/d500/37485-oil-spots-sensor.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/25/nikon-d600-dust-problem-solved-owners-get-repair-they-have-been-waiting-for

Lots more... do a google search "Nikon oil on sensor"

I believe its a common problem with most DSLR's due to lens changing and of course hi speed shutters.
Wet cleaning and regular cleaning with a rocket blower has been the norm since I started shooting digital.
I would consider this regular maintenance if you own a dslr.

I do shoot birds, and change lenses and converters in the the field so picking up dust has always been an issue.

And with diffraction, I
...Show more

Funny.

Except I said D4-D5 cameras, not the D500, D600, D810, etc. Nikon for sure has had oily sensor problems. I was explicitly referring to their flagship models, however.

Everyone makes that same excuses for this camera: that itís the shutter flapping around at high speed that makes the sensor dirty, or that itís multiple lens changes in the field that brings in dust. The problem is, and this is what I and many others have been trying to get across, is that the sensor gets dirty from even slow speed shooting faster than other cameras, and that it happens even without frequent lens changes. I have four cameras, and I can easily see the difference between my two 1DXís and my two 5Dís.

It seems like this affects some users more than others. I still maintain that stopping down the aperture would reveal a similar issue for more folks that think they donít have a problem. Even if you donít narrow your aperture regularly and see a problem, that doesnít mean the issue isnít there; it just means itís something that will be dealt with later when you do notice.

If you donít have this problem, then great! Iím happy for you! For some people, however, itís a legitimate concern.

Edited on Oct 04, 2017 at 04:32 AM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:15 AM
ilkka_nissila

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I've shot half a million shots on Nikon DSLRs and have not noticed "oil" in my shots. I do sometimes have dust on the sensor and clean it with vacuum on low power. I have done "wet" cleaning only three times in 13 years. I really do not think this is a common problem in most models.

However, I do change lenses carefully and quickly and do not expose my camera to a dusty environment in normal shooting. Using a vacuum instead of an air blower helps immensely as the latter blows the dust around in the chamber and it can move back to the sensor over time, whereas vacuum removes the dust permanently.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:17 AM
Chimping
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DX II Sensor issues

garydavidjones wrote:
No problems in six months of use of 1Dxii, including lots of bursts
shooting hummingbirds, sea birds, etc.
Bought Canon Carepak just in case.

Smart to buy the Carepak. I bought one too, just in case I really need extended warranty. Otherwise, CPS has done a great job of maintaining my equipment.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Chimping
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DX II Sensor issues

therealthings wrote:

Would it be possible for you to upload a raw file for me to check out?

The jpeg shows a similar situation to what my 1DX was like. CPS was able to thoroughly clean it to my satisfaction.

Edited on Oct 04, 2017 at 04:33 AM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:27 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
Would it be possible for you to upload a raw file for me to check out?

The jpeg shows a similar situation to what my 1DX was like. CPS was able to thoroughly clean it for me to my satisfaction.

CPS does not do anything here. They just assign a representative that helps you when in trouble or when you require a loaner. Here we have independent approved repair centres that repair your gear on behalf of Canon.

Just performed a dry clean with a blower in a dust free environment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iafo2pvt2ap3wvw/screenshot.jpg?dl=0

Here is a RAW file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n29ebc26m1y6b3o/_W8I6598.CR2?dl=0

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:41 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I never paid too much attention to my 1DX sensor, but noticed few issues with spots shooting at typical f4-8 apertures for wildlife. There were a few small stubborn spots which I simply cloned out instead of cleaning frequently. In contrast, my 1DX2 (30k on the shutter) is far dirtier. The upper left corner is also a particularly bad area, probably containing half of the spots I see.

I'm hopeful things will settle down with more use, as they did with the 1DX. I used to clean the 1DX with the sensor pad, but having read about someone requiring a sensor replacement after using it on the 1DX2, have been using a blower, and generally wet cleaning every 5k shots or so. Not sure if this is truly oil or something else, as the spots do remove, but come back fairly quickly.

Upper left corner 1DX2, at f14 and about 8k shots after wet clean

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:51 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I have a severe oil issue on one of my 1dx2 bodies. This is shot at F11. I was unable to use most of the images as the top left corner is so bad... I am uploading an image that is of no use to me, as it was the first in a series of an aircraft fly by.

Here is a cropped version with the clarity slider at 99%

Here is the original unedited JPG:

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
What aperture are you shooting these at?

f13 and f14, its noted beneath each photo.

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:54 PM
acoll123
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1DX II Sensor issues

had mine for almost 2 years - never had an issue

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password