New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              27       28       end

Archive 2017 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ivanku

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade to the 1DX II, but feeling a little nervous because a good number of folks reported an unusual amount of lubricant and smearing on their sensors. Some had it so bad that Canon had to replace their sensors. This was documented in part on Arthur Morris's blog.

I want to throw it out there, who is still having problems with their 1DX IIs? Who never had them at all? Really hard to tell if this was only an issue with the early run of cameras, or if it's an intermittent problem that has popped up through the whole production cycle? Any observations or experiences from 1DX II owners would be much appreciated!!

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX II Sensor issues

You'll get people telling you not to worry - use it and wait and see - including me.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:32 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I've had my 1Dx2 almost a year. I just gave the sensor a look see with a lighted loop and it's clean. No oil that I can see. It will go to Canon for a clean and check sometime in the next month before the first year is out while it is still under warranty. I don't expect Canon to find any issues.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:50 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Had two now since release.
No more than the 1Dx and cleans using normal field techniques ie pec pads and Eclipse.
Not an issue.

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:08 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I haven't had any oil splatter problems on my Mark II. My 1DX had early oil residue that subsided on its own over time. I wet clean my own sensors when needed. Even with my 1DX I was easily able to clean it as needed.

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:12 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I had the 1Dx with no oil issues and now the 1Dx II with nothing on the sensor.

Get the camera and enjoy. Fix whatever needs repairs when and if anything happens as with all things.

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:46 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Are you sure you arent confusing 1Dx and 1DxII? I have had both and didnt ever experience what you are talking about even though I did send the 1Dx under the recall which was based on serial numbers.

Until you said something on here, I had not see anything on this forum about that with the 1DxII.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:03 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Yes, lots of specs on the sensor, after few weeks of use. Got the complete sensor replaced. Now, after a full year, the specs are back, but perhaps not as many as last time. Given up on using this body as a do-it-all as stopping down causes massive amounts of post processing away the dust specs.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:34 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX II Sensor issues

No issues at all with oil on my 1Dx Mark II.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:10 AM
DaveGershon
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX II Sensor issues

No problems with my 1DXII ...

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:21 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX II Sensor issues

My first copy got replaced, 2nd one is now, a year after, full with specks. Next week it's going back to canon for a clean while it's still under warranty.

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:06 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I had major problems with my 1Dx and Canon replaced the sensor and shutter box - it is now a lot better since I avoid H burst mode whenever I can. My 1Dx2 also has sensor problems, but not as bad a the 1Dx The problem for both seems mainly to affect the upper left corner of the image It is particularly noticeable in aircraft shots with lots of blue sky

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:28 PM
Chimping
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX II Sensor issues

For those of you that said that you weren’t having any issues, what is the maximum aperture that you stop down to?

I really don’t buy it that your sensors are free from oil or dust, especially if you shoot in burst regularly.

I have both the 1DX and the Mark II, and they both suffer from the same issue – excess oil being thrown on the sensor.

I too try to avoid the H Burst mode unless I am shooting something that absolutely requires it, for this reason.

I have searched Nikon forums and they don’t seem to complain about this same issue with their D4-D5 cameras.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:23 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Chimping wrote:
For those of you that said that you weren’t having any issues, what is the maximum aperture that you stop down to?

I really don’t buy it that your sensors are free from oil or dust, especially if you shoot in burst regularly.

I have both the 1DX and the Mark II, and they both suffer from the same issue – excess oil being thrown on the sensor.

I too try to avoid the H Burst mode unless I am shooting something that absolutely requires it, for this reason.

I have searched Nikon forums and they don’t seem to complain about this
...Show more

I mostly shoot wide open with f/4-f/8 combos. I get stuff on my sensors but I also get stuff on my 7D2, 5DSR, 5D3, 5D4 etc. Only my 1DX was noticeable in that it was excessive compared to my other bodies. My 1DX2 is within the normal range I'm used to. I do clean my sensor every few months, I do see stuff on it but that is normal...I do lots of sloppy TC swaps in the field with camera turned on so I expect stuff on there. My 1DX was obvious small oil spots though. I started a Poll thread years ago about my 1DX....at least half the responders or more had no issues...but lots of us did. There are similar complaints with the 1DX2 out there (spread more widely by Art Morris with his large following) but mine is not a problem. So I don't discount that there are dirty 1DX2's out there also because lots of people discounted my 1DX and I know it was abnormal.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:40 PM
ivanku

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Thanks for replying everyone. It seems kinda random for which bodies are negatively affected and which aren't ? I appreciate the responses. This does feel like playing a bit of Russian roulette with the camera, but it's useful to have everyone's experiences compiled in one place. Please keep em coming.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:26 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX II Sensor issues

ivanku wrote:
Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade to the 1DX II, but feeling a little nervous because a good number of folks reported an unusual amount of lubricant and smearing on their sensors. Some had it so bad that Canon had to replace their sensors. This was documented in part on Arthur Morris's blog.

I want to throw it out there, who is still having problems with their 1DX IIs? Who never had them at all? Really hard to tell if this was only an issue with the early run of cameras, or if it's an intermittent problem that has popped up
...Show more

Recently ran mine thru its "autumn" checkup. No oil. No problems. It's heavily used in sport and all sorts of everything else.

If you like/need/want/can afford - go for it.

Robert

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:39 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Here ya go...there are a few, but nothing as described on this topic.

©Herb 2017

f13, in high speed shutter...I took a number of photos in high speed shutter. This is an untouched out of the camera jpg

©Herb 2017

f14, in high speed shutter near the end of the day with everything I shot in high speed

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:00 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX II Sensor issues

I need to add, I bought this camera from B&H when it was first offered and havent to date cleaned the sensor, so what you see is from the beginning.

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:03 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX II Sensor issues

In my opinion, you will get dust on a sensor much quicker than an oil spots. Sometimes, the first lens change introduces the dust. Believe it or not, brand new cameras often come with a dust on the sensor already. There are times that dust particles are so "stubborn" that rocket blower doesn't work. Simply put, you will need to do a wet clean anyways. Wet clean is a part of the game when shooting DSLRs

Since you referenced Art's blog, I'm guessing you are shooting birds and most likely shoot below f/8. If that's the case, you won't notice it much And if you do, oil spots should appear within the 1st year of ownership. At that time, if it is excessive, you will be able to have it serviced by Canon under the warranty.

If you decide to buy it, make sure to check Canon's refurbished stock as well, as they are much cheaper there and still carry 1 year warranty: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-1d-x-mark-ii-body-refurbished?WT.mc_id=C126149

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:20 PM
Chimping
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX II Sensor issues

Herb wrote:
I need to add, I bought this camera from B&H when it was first offered and havent to date cleaned the sensor, so what you see is from the beginning.

What aperture are you shooting these at?

I recently shot an airshow with a 7D2 and fired over 5,000 shots, mostly burst. It was a loaner camera from Canon Canada CPS. The sensor was still clean as a whistle when I finished.

I also had a loaner 1DX while mine was in for a repair just recently. The loaner started with a clean sensor, but after an outing to the bird sanctuary and a few portrait sessions, the sensor on it looked as if someone sprinkled pepper throughout.

I bought my 5D3 back in 2013 and it's been my most used camera. It has literally never had its sensor cleaned. I can count eight spots at f/16. I also own a 5DsR that I bought back in April this year. I used it extensively travelling around Europe this summer and it has three spots showing.

What I am saying is that the 1D series seem to be far worse at accumulating debris on their sensors, whether it be dust or oil. My 1DX Mark II is no different from my 1DX; the majority of the debris accumulates in the top left-hand corner of the frame on both cameras.

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.