Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Profoto B1 Hish speed sync darker 1 stop compared to 1st ...

pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto B1 Hish speed sync darker 1 stop compared to 1st curtain.

My Profoto B1 have the latest firmware update, but I noticed a little weird behavior today while playing with them.
Since I was thinking that it would be faster to just leave the Profoto air remote set to high speed sync then you could just raise the shutter speed as high as you wanted without having to switch to high speed sync right? Wrong.

I did a test exposure, with and without high speed synch enabled, BUT leaving the shutter speed at 125 ( which of course does not require high speed sync), and the high speed sync images, shot at 1/125 showed an underexposure of about on stop, plus the color balance is a bit different.

Are all high speed sync shots darker and with a color balance different?

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:39 AM
leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto B1 Hish speed sync darker 1 stop compared to 1st curtain.

Profoto advise only to select HSS when you actually need it as the lights perform differently in this mode - no matter what your shutter speed is.

I noticed a colour difference so I asked their advice - hence their response which seemed fair enough.

Can't say I've experienced underexposure though.

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:42 PM
pompo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto B1 Hish speed sync darker 1 stop compared to 1st curtain.

thanks, try it out and do a test, it underexposes, just by switching to HSS without changing anything.

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:35 AM
story_teller
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto B1 Hish speed sync darker 1 stop compared to 1st curtain.

pompo wrote:
My Profoto B1 have the latest firmware update, but I noticed a little weird behavior today while playing with them.
Since I was thinking that it would be faster to just leave the Profoto air remote set to high speed sync then you could just raise the shutter speed as high as you wanted without having to switch to high speed sync right? Wrong.

I did a test exposure, with and without high speed synch enabled, BUT leaving the shutter speed at 125 ( which of course does not require high speed sync), and the high speed sync images, shot at 1/125
...Show more

I would assume a difference in exposure when going into HSS because the strobe goes into a different mode where it provides pulses of light rather than continuous light. This is to provide a longer duration, but at the cost of power. HSS also shortens the flash to subject distance you can use. Not sure about the color balance issue. I haven't noticed that.

I'm also on a Nikon system so my camera shutter speed automatically puts me into HSS when above normal X-sync speed.

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:02 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password