New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

Surfnsun
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I only ask because it seems like so many go up for sale in “like new” condition. I realize that it’s not a replacement for a proper interchangeable lens system; but it seems like it fits the bill for a lightweight carry around option for the family so well. That was my intention in looking for a lightly used camera. But now I’m starting to get cold feet. Perhaps I should look into other options? I was looking at the Sony RX1RII; but that’s a pricey pill to swallow.

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

Can't vouch for the rest of the world but I'm very happy. I'm a Canon shooter and bought the X100F for all those times I want to walk around and shoot an occasional photo, or be less obtrusive while shooting, and not having to carry all the weight associated with a FF DSLR. I enjoy it so much that every time I use it I contemplate selling off all my Canon bodies and lenses (quite a few, mostly with the L-monniker). I just fear the amount of money I'll loose by selling that lens collection, otherwise...

Edited on Sep 28, 2017 at 12:27 AM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:44 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

May be because of X-E3 with 23mm f2 at similar price?

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

^^^

I think that's a real possibility. My X100F is excellent, but I need a backup camera for a trip and am thinking the X-E3 will fit the bill and allow me to swap lenses as necessary. I had planned to pair my X100F with the X-T2 and may still do that. Debating.

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:22 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I had an X-100T which I enjoyed very much. I upgraded to the X-100F and could not be happier with it. The X100 series cameras from Fuji are outstanding little cameras, IMHO. I'm glad I got it.

BTW, I also have an X-E2 with the 23/2 lens and the latest firmware. I don't think the new X-E3 is a significant improvement (except for newest sensor) as it lacks the flash. I find the flash on both the X-100F and X-E2 very useful.

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:47 AM
johnvanr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I have one, but don’t use it much. For “real” photography outings, I take my Canon and/or Olympus gear. That said, the Fuji is a great camera to carry when photography isn’t the top priority. I also have the Sony RX1RII, but that’s been sitting in its box to be listed for sale as I just don’t like using it.

Like others, I’ve been pondering switching to the XE-3, but I fear the slippery slope of lens GAS and I already have enough Canon lenses and too many MFT lenses.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:19 AM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I had an X100T that I took with me on vacations mostly; I sold it. Shooting with it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

I need an ILC, I cannot get by on a a fixed focal length, especially not 23mm on 1.6x.

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:21 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

akin_t wrote:
I had an X100T that I took with me on vacations mostly; I sold it. Shooting with it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.

I need an ILC, I cannot get by on a a fixed focal length, especially not 23mm on 1.6x.

I'm often surprised that someone who has had a camera and considers himself a photographer and makes comments on technical things, that they don't even get the details right. The crop on Fuji is 1.5. It's Canon that has a 1.6 crop.

There, we've cleared things up. But if you can't get the big details right .......

Now, I get that you and the X100T did not get along, as it "wasn't what I thought it was going to be", but can you be more specific? Do you not like the 35mm focal length, or is it something else? What about the X100T was it "specifically" where you did not find it up to your expectations?

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:18 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

Its a hit or miss camera...

I think some folks maybe thought it would make a good 2nd body/35mm equiv option to a kit with a XT1 or 2 etc... and it certainly does well for that. However, there are some things which are unique and that one may or may not end up enjoying.

The OVF while cool, some people find frustrating due to parallax, not knowing what actually is in focus etc. The EVF while good, is a step down from the XT1 or 2, and maybe if you don't like the OVF you might feel as an EVF 'only' camera, its not worth $1300

The AF while again greatly improved doesn't quite match the latest bodies and newer lenses.. It is after all an old lens assembly in there still

Maybe some folks thought the camera was going to be a bit smaller/lighter than it is. It is NOT a pocket camera after all

Maybe some folks find they miss a flip out LCD

Maybe other folks bought one, enjoy it, but feel something like the recent XE3 better suits their needs....

Essentially you need to enjoy the 35mm equiv FOV, enjoy using the OVF or at least a OVF/EVF hybrid, and be okay with the fixed screen, slower focus etc.

Camera has some great unique strengths like the leaf shutter and fast flash sync, great styling, all in one simplicity etc, but its not for everyone

I think for every person who loves it, there is another perhaps better served by Fuji's other options. These days Fuji has a bit something for everyone...

XT2, Xpro2, X100F, XE3, cheap old XE2 with latest firmware, XT1 at blowout prices, the XT20, heck, even the original XPro is a pretty stellar option for a few hundred bucks...

Plenty of reasons to switch from an X100F, even though it is a great camera

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:25 AM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

Pavel wrote:
I'm often surprised that someone who has had a camera and considers himself a photographer and makes comments on technical things, that they don't even get the details right. The crop on Fuji is 1.5. It's Canon that has a 1.6 crop.

There, we've cleared things up. But if you can't get the big details right .......

Now, I get that you and the X100T did not get along, as it "wasn't what I thought it was going to be", but can you be more specific? Do you not like the 35mm focal length, or is it something else? What about
...Show more

Lol why don't you go and cry me a river, 1.5x vs 1.6x isn't even the salient point in that post.

Now that we've cleared that up perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension, my post is as unambiguous as it gets to native English speakers what I didn't like about the X100T; you would have picked up on it if you didn't get a hardon for focusing on minor (and irrelevant) technical details.

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I like to shoot with one lens but I traded the X100 for an X-E3 because I want to be able to choose which lens that is, and it can change on any particular day.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I think that for many it may come down to figuring out that for their photography the advantages of small size and light weight may be outweighed by the disadvantage in many situations of having only one wide angle focal length.

The X100 series does have other advantages, too, including the wealth of manual controls, etc. However, you get those also on the more expensive and larger XPro2 and XT2, and their larger size/weight and higher price may turn out to be a better functional trade off for many. And, while you give up some of the manual controls (and a bit of size/weight) with the XE2, you gain back that flexibility with interchangeable lenses.

I think the X100t — which I had the opportunity to work with for a while — is a fine camera, but its design just isn't for everyone.

Dan

Nov 06, 2017 at 06:04 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

Designs meant for "everyone" are not at all amazing for anyone. Easy mediocrity is not a virtue.

Nov 07, 2017 at 02:24 AM
rboate

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I purchased the x100t last fall as I wanted a high quality everyday camera so I dont carry around all my Olympus gear. I enjoyed using it and like the fact that is is fairly inconspicuous. Recently while in Paris, my camera bag was stolen and I lost the x100t among other things. I replaced it with the x100f and find it a nice upgrade. I purchased it used ( 2 months old ) from a full frame shooter who said it wasnt for him. I find the biggest limitation is the fixed focal length lens but it makes me think about my pictures and composition so thats not a bad thing.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:56 AM
rboate

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I purchased the x100t last fall as I wanted a high quality everyday camera so I dont carry around all my Olympus gear. I enjoyed using it and like the fact that is is fairly inconspicuous. Recently while in Paris, my camera bag was stolen and I lost the x100t among other things. I replaced it with the x100f and find it a nice upgrade. I purchased it used ( 2 months old ) from a full frame shooter who said it wasnt for him. I find the biggest limitation is the fixed focal length lens but it makes me think about my pictures and composition so thats not a bad thing.

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:57 AM
robsonj
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

I was very happy with my x100f, which I just sold to move to the X-E3. If 23mm (35mm equiv) is your go to focal length... look no further than the x100f.

Nov 07, 2017 at 01:27 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

If dreams came true, Fuji would introduce two more identically operating X100 bodies with fixed lenses, making a trio. I vote for a 16 F 2.8 and a hmmm, say 40 F whatever speed we can get and still keep it small, for a 35mm FF equivalent 24, 35 and 60 trio.

The X100s I have is the closest out of all digital bodies I've worked with that felt good to shoot, while performing well and still being small - but not too tiny.

Three bodies in one flat small Domke F-5XB bag - I don't think I'd want for anything else about 29 out of 30 photographic days.

after the first monthI could grab one from the trio and shoot without any conscious effort or thinking. I've been wanting that since my trio of FM 3 HP's and small lenses gave way to digital. There is something to be said for simplicity and uniformity of operation over new-feature-itis, in the creative process.

So in other words, with respect to the X100 line delivering on that point of satisfaction - oh yeah. More than any other digital body yet, despite the limit of the fixed length lens. And I say that as someone for whom the 35 equivalent is far from a favorite focal length choice. 35 is a great, practical all around focal length. But my brain sees in short telephoto most of the time, and somewhat wider that 35 the rest of the time. Despite that, the X100 will be the last Fuji I ever give up on if forced to something else. I like it so much.

Nov 07, 2017 at 04:13 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

When a camera comes out, you see plenty of people buying, trying, and then selling it. And then come the threads like these, which assume there must be something wrong. There's not. But like any camera, it's not for everyone.

Like any camera, it's a bundle of compromises. The particular bundle of compromises that is the X100F isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean it's a bad camera. I shoot an X100S... I've got quite a few complaints (most of which have been addressed in the X100T or F) but there are also things that it does way better than my usual camera which ensure that it sees regular use.

Nov 07, 2017 at 05:09 PM
akin_t
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

Pavel wrote:
Designs meant for "everyone" are not at all amazing for anyone. Easy mediocrity is not a virtue.

Sounds like one of those phrases that seem deep the first time you hear it, but when you stop to think about it you realize it's not true at all.

Several designs are ubiquitous solely because they do indeed work for everyone; look at the modern automobile or the modern cell phone.

And before you come at me with Android vs iOS or SUV vs sportscar; design in this context obviously refers to HMI (Human Machine Interface) which is independent of brand, OS, or any other 'preferences'.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are X100F owners happy/unhappy?

akin_t wrote:
Sounds like one of those phrases that seem deep the first time you hear it, but when you stop to think about it you realize it's not true at all.

Actually, in the case of the excellent X100f, this is not really a design for "everyone." It eschews the sorts of flexibility (zoom lens or interchangeable lens, most notably) that most users would want in favor of a minimized set of features that will appeal to a small subset of camera buyers.

Further, it is quite possible to produce an outstanding product that does appeal to either a limited set of potential users or to a larger, more diverse group.

Nov 07, 2017 at 08:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password