New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

I just got a notification that my X-E3 is shipping today with an estimated Monday delivery. The bad news is that I leave Sunday for a week long business trip.

I'll post my impressions once I get a chance to evaluate. Anyone else expecting the X-E3?

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

^^ Don't you just hate when that happens? Can remember it happening to me twice, and it drove me nuts. Couldn't wait to get home, knowing there were two unopened boxes that I needed to open.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:08 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

Look forward to your impressions.

Sep 27, 2017 at 05:47 PM
markyboy
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

Pre-ordered from B&H a few weeks ago. Haven't received a shipment notice yet. Where did you order from? Mark

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:20 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

So exciting

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:50 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

I pre-ordered one from Midwest Photo on Monday. No idea how far back in the line I am or how many they'll get, but I look forward to having it as a second camera on a trip.

Sep 27, 2017 at 09:18 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

jrscls wrote:
Look forward to your impressions.

Thanks! I look forward to being able to form an impression. Someone on the Fuji forum has received their camera and written a first impressions post. It was positive. The concerns (joystick, touch screen) was not an issue and he's a veteran X-E2 user. The smaller size was also a non issue.

Sep 28, 2017 at 06:01 AM
owentn
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

I spoke to B&H today about my X-E3 order...which was placed a month ago. They said that it had not been released by the manufacturer yet. Additionally, they are closed for the next 10 days. So, if you've ordered one from B&H the next possible ship date is 10/15 at the very earliest. I'd go somewhere else that has them in stock and isn't closing the entire operation down for over a week.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:10 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

Mine arrived Monday, but I'm out of town. I ordered from Amazon the day before release. I started to second guess my decision since there was a tax penalty on the cost, but now I'm glad I ordered from them. I'll be able to take it on our trip week after next.

Oct 04, 2017 at 01:27 PM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

dmacmillan wrote:
Mine arrived Monday, but I'm out of town. I ordered from Amazon the day before release. I started to second guess my decision since there was a tax penalty on the cost, but now I'm glad I ordered from them. I'll be able to take it on our trip week after next.

I'm right up the road from you. I'd be glad to pick it up and test it out for you!

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:25 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

spoupard wrote:
I'm right up the road from you. I'd be glad to pick it up and test it out for you!

You are so kind! I'd hate to distract you from your preparations for Nate, though ;-).

Oct 04, 2017 at 08:56 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

Here's the X-E3 next to my venerable Leica M3. (Shot with iPhone )

I'm very happy so far. EVF and touchscreen are fine. Using the joystick to change focus point is very intuitive.

X-E3 and M3

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:36 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

For you who have received your camera, how do you like it?

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:00 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

fsiagian wrote:
For you who have received your camera, how do you like it?

Here's my summary so far:
It's exactly what I was looking for. I wanted the main features of the newest generation X cameras in a small form factor that I could take on trips. My point of reference is the X-T2, the XP2 and the XE2s that I rented to do extensive tests. Here are some thoughts, mostly based around the concerns I had.

Size - I'm a healthy boy with big hands. I had no problem with the XE2S or even with my diminutive Panasonic LUMIX LX7. The XE3 is almost imperceptibly smaller than the XE2S but has a better grip. Size is not an issue for me, especially when it allows me to use a smaller camera bag.

Build quality - Compared to the XP2 and X-T2, think of the difference between a Nikon or Canon TOTL pro body and their mid range DSLRs. It's a solid little camera, but it doesn't have the rugged feel of its bigger siblings. I think it might be at a disadvantage because I've had my Leica M3 out along with it. I foresee no problems.

Viewfinder - I'm shooting right eyed (I'm left eye dominant) and have no trouble whatsoever. I wear glasses, but I don't shoot while wearing them. The diopter adjustment allowed me to adjust for my mild nearsightedness. Of course it can't compare to the gorgeous EVF of the X-T2, but I have no problem seeing the entire frame. Refresh rate and lag time after exposure are fine.

Now for some features I really like:

Focus speed and accuracy - at least as good or even better than the X-T2. I haven't shot continuous mode much yet, but I see no problem.

Touchscreen - I like it, it's handy. I like the menu swipe and touch focus, but use the joystick more for focus area. I did find myself taking photos accidentally, but it was easy to turn off that feature.

Joystick - I loved it on the big cameras and lens and love it on the XE3.

Focus peaking and manual focus - this works great, both with the Samyang 12mm I bought and my legacy Leica lenses. I have no problem focusing accurately. The instant zoom by pressing the back wheel really helps see the focus peaking.

Overall - I love it! It's just what I was looking for. I'm really excited about taking it on our trip to London and Paris next week!

Oct 12, 2017 at 07:15 AM
RyanDelaney
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

Thanks for the write up, debating this vs. a used x-pro2. Seems like weather seal and OVF might be the only real benefits of the more expensive body. My biggest concern with the Xe3 was handling (viewfinder size) with legacy glass, you’ve put my mind at ease here.

Oct 12, 2017 at 09:56 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

DesertRhino wrote:
Thanks for the write up, debating this vs. a used x-pro2. Seems like weather seal and OVF might be the only real benefits of the more expensive body. My biggest concern with the Xe3 was handling (viewfinder size) with legacy glass, you’ve put my mind at ease here.

I tested the X-Pro2. It is a larger body, which can be a plus or minus. I found the OVF of limited use. If you use the Fujicron (23,35 and 50) primes, the OVF works well (I only tested the 23mm). However, its usefulness is limited when shooting zooms or bigger lenses, such as the 16mm (which I tested) and the 56mm. The larger lenses block a significant amount of the frame. I also tested the X-T2 side by side with the X-Pro2. If used was the same money, I personally would opt for the more versatile X-T2.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:31 AM
RyanDelaney
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X-E3 Shipping Notice

dmacmillan wrote:
I tested the X-Pro2. It is a larger body, which can be a plus or minus. I found the OVF of limited use. If you use the Fujicron (23,35 and 50) primes, the OVF works well (I only tested the 23mm). However, its usefulness is limited when shooting zooms or bigger lenses, such as the 16mm (which I tested) and the 56mm. The larger lenses block a significant amount of the frame. I also tested the X-T2 side by side with the X-Pro2. If used was the same money, I personally would opt for the more versatile X-T2.

The X-T2 is probably the best option for all of my needs, but eats up almost all of my photography budget. I was hoping for something with the new sensor etc, but maybe I should take another look at the X-T1 as the viewfinders are comparable? That way I could buy more than one lens

Oct 12, 2017 at 05:43 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.