Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

billsnature
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Anyone using the Sony A9 and Canon 500mm IS II or 600mm IS II with and without Canon 1.4X III for BIF work?

I am seriously considering selling my Canon 1Dx II and buying an A9 if this combination will really work for Bald Eagle flight photography. I had the 1Dx II listed on buy/sell and then withdrew due to pre-sellers remorse. Now reconsidering.

Would love to hear if someone pulled the trigger on this and if they regret it.

Bill

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:03 AM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Bill, you might want to watch some promising development from A9 new firmware: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1510451

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:32 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

I just updated the FW today and my initial impression with it on my Canon 400mm f/2.8, it is quite a bit more responsive now than before. I added a Canon 1.4X TC and didn't notice any degradation in the AF speed. When I slapped on the Sony FE 1.4X TC behind my Metabones V, rendering the setup at 800mm f/5.6, the AF is a tad more sluggish but still more than just decent. How good the setup would be for real life bird photography? Well, I don't know that yet but I will go out later on today and try my luck at a local birding place. I will just use the bare lens first and then add a single TC to begin with.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM
RFMP
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Geo,
Does it track to the edges?
My 400 tracks to the edges vertically but not horizontally with the MC-11, unlike the A mount lenses which track to the edge in both landscape and portrait.
John

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:03 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

RFMP wrote:
Geo,
Does it track to the edges?
My 400 tracks to the edges vertically but not horizontally with the MC-11, unlike the A mount lenses which track to the edge in both landscape and portrait.
John

That's a known MC-11 issue in the firmware. In addition to the MC-11, I am using Metabones V and it allows tracking in all direction. Metabones IV works the same but the rear throat of the version V is larger and it accommodates Sony FE TC in there. That and the addition of IBIS switch and an LCD indicator of mode the adapter is working on are the physical differences. Firmware-wise, the two versions are basically the same.

Joshua

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:37 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

AGeoJO wrote:
I just updated the FW today and my initial impression with it on my Canon 400mm f/2.8, it is quite a bit more responsive now than before. I added a Canon 1.4X TC and didn't notice any degradation in the AF speed. When I slapped on the Sony FE 1.4X TC behind my Metabones V, rendering the setup at 800mm f/5.6, the AF is a tad more sluggish but still more than just decent. How good the setup would be for real life bird photography? Well, I don't know that yet but I will go out later on today and
...Show more

Very interesting. Can't wait to read about your results!

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:39 PM
RFMP
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Joshua,
Thanks. I need to re-test my MB V, as it behaved erratically with my 400 DO II.
John

FWIW, the LA-EA3 will not accept the Sony E mount TCs.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:51 PM
RFMP
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Joshua,
My MB V , boots slowly, focuses slowly, and will not track horizontally like the MC-11. What are your MB V settings?
Thanks,
John

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:57 PM
RFMP
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Same with my Canon 70-200 L IS USM II + MB V.
Green mode.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:04 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

John, did you upgrade the FW of your Metabones? Mine is Version .57. I use either the selective mode (L, M or S) or wide mode and everything works really great.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:09 PM
RFMP
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Same, wide, FW ver. .57

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

John, I don't know what to tell you at this point. Mine seems to work great using Metabones V with V .57. The AF speed is really quick by selecting various targets. I didn't remember Canon's camera did this any faster back then. Now, it is coming down to its tracking capability....

In the Wide mode the camera will pick up the closest contrasty target to you, which is generally good for tracking BIF if the surrounding area is not busy or far away. Lately, I want to be more in control as I made a boo boo that I still regret for choosing that mode and I missed the opportunity of capturing a dancing bird last week. The camera chose to focus on a branch/leave closer to my position than the actual bird. By the time I changed the mode, the bird stopped... . I will used either large or medium Selective mode this time around.

Edited on Sep 27, 2017 at 03:41 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:39 PM
RFMP
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Thanks Joshua.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:40 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Not really wiser after a short trip to a local regional park for some pin-tailed whydahs but I got some images of a hummingbird while there. Here is the link to my post in that regard for anyone interested: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/2441#14197813

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:05 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Anyone else try a big white with new firmware?

Oct 01, 2017 at 11:37 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Yes, the new A9 1.10 firmware makes my small Great White (200mm F2.0) AF contiousky in green/p (blue) mod) with my Metabones V.

Oct 01, 2017 at 06:15 PM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

This is not happening Bill. I doubt very seriously the A9 could outperform the 1DX with am adapted lens. Maybe with a native lens.

JayT

Oct 01, 2017 at 09:53 PM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Sirfishalot wrote:
This is not happening Bill. I doubt very seriously the A9 could outperform the 1DX with am adapted lens. Maybe with a native lens.

JayT

Hi Jay,

I am not asking it to out perform, I am asking for excellent performance in a more versatile package.

Think I will wait and see what next gen cameras look like

Bill

Oct 01, 2017 at 10:16 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

billsnature wrote:
Anyone else try a big white with new firmware?

i did. New A9 firmware / Metabones version 5 with 400DO mkii. Not much improve compare to previous fw. At this point, i just give up using the big white and stick with sony 100-400G Master. It is frustrate to carry the extra weight and the keeper rate is low.

Oct 02, 2017 at 11:17 AM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A9 and Canon big white telephotos?

Hi Bubble,

Thanks for that update. That is exactly what I was trying to figure out.

In that case I think I will pass on A9 for now and use A7R II for landscape and stick with the Canons for BIF and big telephotos.

Hoped for better but great to know

Bill

Oct 02, 2017 at 07:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.