Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

ilkka_nissila

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

dhphoto wrote:
Over here it's about 2 1/2 times the price of the excellent 100L macro

Since I bought the 85mm PC Micro (goes to 1:2), my 105mm macro lens has seen little use. I don't see the point of a lens for close-ups if it doesn't do tilt; it forces the use of focus stacking to get the desired parts of the subject in focus too often. Stacking doesn't work if subjects (such as leaves or ice sheets) float on water and move about and there can also be artifacts when trying to stack transparent subjects (ice, water).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ilkka_nissila/8297178027/in/album-72157608284582293/

I prefer to have the choice of which angle I photograph such subjects from, and tilt gives me just that. Freedom of vantage point. 135mm would be very welcome and if Nikon made one I'd get it as soon as possible.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:18 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

ilkka_nissila wrote:
Since I bought the 85mm PC Micro (goes to 1:2), my 105mm macro lens has seen little use. I don't see the point of a lens for close-ups if it doesn't do tilt; it forces the use of focus stacking to get the desired parts of the subject in focus too often. Stacking doesn't work if subjects (such as leaves or ice sheets) float on water and move about and there can also be artifacts when trying to stack transparent subjects (ice, water).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ilkka_nissila/8297178027/in/album-72157608284582293/

I prefer to have the choice of which angle I photograph such subjects from, and tilt gives me
...Show more

But then the 90mm t/s would be just as good or better

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:30 PM
splathrop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

On why I might want the 135mm TS-E:

I make landscapes and (especially) seascapes subjects where you rely on natural light, take what you get, and try to fill the frame with the best light you can find. Optimal light is sometimes widespread, but is more often found across limited angular distributions, which vary. That calls for a range of focal lengths, to match fields of view to available light distributions.

The style I want emphasizes sharpness, from the foreground to the horizon. That limits opportunity to use longer lenses which lack a tilt function. Hyper-focal use of a normal 135mm lens is barely practical. Set the hyper-focal point too distant, and the entire scene may be shot through too much air for sharp imaging in any part of it. The smaller apertures involved soften the image as well. I expect the 135mm TS-E could help with those issues.

Also, low light and moving subjects, like waves, birds, boats. Images made using tilt-enabled wider apertures are better for those, because they allow faster shutter speeds to stop motion while extending great depth of field.

There are other reasons, but those at least begin to make the case. If anyone knows workarounds to solve those problems more conventionally, I would welcome hearing about them.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:30 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

Can you show some examples, I would be interested to see them
I can't imagine a naturally lit scene where a 90mm wouldn't do the same job

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

dhphoto wrote:
Can you show some examples, I would be interested to see them
I can't imagine a naturally lit scene where a 90mm wouldn't do the same job

It's not a question of what you can and can't do with or without a particular lens, it's about what lens you might want to use. Justification is not required.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

As someone who uses tilt-shift lenses as much as regular primes and zooms, it's not hard to imagine how useful the new 135mm lens will be, or remember all the times when a 90mm lens was too short but you sort of made do regardless. Do I know exactly what I'll use it for? Not yet, but it will become clear when the time comes. There's also shift stitching (in the short direction) which effectively doubles the sensor size and (more or less) halves the effective focal length to consider. And not to mention that there's already a somewhat cumbersome third party t/s-e lens yoke available from Germany that solves any lens mount stress issues and allows what amounts to rear standard shifts. Who's to say that Canon won't introduce their own version of such a device. Last note: It would appear that moving the 45 t/s-e up to a 50mm leaves them some breathing room to re-animate the long discontinued 35mm shift lens. That's the real one I'm interested in but I'll buy the three new ones as soon as they're available.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:44 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

I see this lens as a macro with tilt/shift that allows more working distance in front of the lens especially with a stack of extension tubes behind it (barring any issues) for higher magnifications. I'm anxious to hear reports from early adopters of this lens especially when using it with tubes.

This new lens with the added benefit of tilt/shift capability could replace my 135mm f/2 that I often use with tubes.

Sep 27, 2017 at 05:07 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

Like Peter, I use t/s all the time, and at focal lengths from wide angle to telephoto. Were I a Canon shooter I'd happily use a 135mm t/s, especially in urban situations where it would be great for isolating subjects and keeping verticals under control. I currently get a lot of mileage out of my 100mm t/s setup on an APS-C sensor (which would be the same angle of view as a 150mm lens on full frame).

Sep 27, 2017 at 05:10 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

jcolwell wrote:
It's not a question of what you can and can't do with or without a particular lens, it's about what lens you might want to use. Justification is not required.

It is to me
Especially with a lens that IMHO has so few useful applications

Sep 27, 2017 at 05:15 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

In response to your original question about supporting such a heavy lens from the camera body, note that the 5DS and 5DSr both contain a stronger and more rigid internal structure in the body than previous Canon cameras, to get the very best support for the higher resolution the camera has. That feature will also give you more margin for support of the new 135 Tilt Shift lens, all though it is very likely not a requirement. A custom fitted L bracket like what Really Right Stuff sells does a good job of distributing loads across a wide area on the camera, so that is another thing that I would consider a required item for any heavy lens. And, if you are shooting in portrait orientation, the little metal piece that attaches the L leg to the strap lug of the camera is another thing the RRS L bracket offers for the 5DSr, as well as a few other camera models, and that optional attachment will help in overall stability.

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

In 4x5, I used to shoot 300mm and 450mm for landscape very often, and almost always used tilt and/or a bit of rise. Depending on how one converts the non-equivalent aspect ratios, these would be roughly equivalent to 75-90mm and 112-135mm in 35mm format. I can think of many instances where they would come in handy for landscape alone.

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:53 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
In 4x5, I used to shoot 300mm and 450mm for landscape very often, and almost always used tilt and/or a bit of rise. Depending on how one converts the non-equivalent aspect ratios, these would be roughly equivalent to 75-90mm and 112-135mm in 35mm format. I can think of many instances where they would come in handy for landscape alone.

Yes, but large format lenses can be used on other formats (5x7, whole plate, 10x8 depending on the coverage) and can have many other uses.

This is a single focal length with t/s abilities for a great deal of money, different thing

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:04 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

One thing is arguing that a single focal length T/S lens i a niche lens.

Another thing is arguing that 90mm has much more usage than 135 mm, to which I don't agree at all.

And realistically, large format lenses are more niche than a TS Macro lens than works on 3 different current sensor formats.

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:16 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

Peter Figen wrote:
And not to mention that there's already a somewhat cumbersome third party t/s-e lens yoke available from Germany that solves any lens mount stress issues and allows what amounts to rear standard shifts.

http://www.hartblei.de/en/canon-tse-collar.htm

The TS-E 135 also had me wondering a bit, but I won't question why others want to use it.

I have the original TS-E 90 and recall I have used it with the TCs on occasion, so there must have been something I photographed where a ~135 tilt/shift lens could have been useful. The TS-E 135 just extends that range of usefulness even more, since it should also be TC compatible (is it?).

Maybe Canon figured since they were re-doing the 45 and 90 anyway, might as well throw in a third, unique lens. All of the TS-Es are niche as it is, so it could just be one more niche differentiator which Canon can use as an example of the extensive options offered by their system.

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:26 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

alundeb wrote:
One thing is arguing that a single focal length T/S lens i a niche lens.

Another thing is arguing that 90mm has much more usage than 135 mm, to which I don't agree at all.

And realistically, large format lenses are more niche than a TS Macro lens than works on 3 different current sensor formats.

What a strange post.
I'm not arguing that any single length t/s lens is niche, just this one
Of course a 90mm is more useful than a 135mm, if you've ever worked seriously in a studio you'd know that
Large format lenses are by definition not niche as they are the only lenses that work on large format and large format by definition has more than one size, they are the opposite of 'niche'

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

rscheffler wrote:
Maybe Canon figured since they were re-doing the 45 and 90 anyway, might as well throw in a third, unique lens. All of the TS-Es are niche as it is, so it could just be one more niche differentiator which Canon can use as an example of the extensive options offered by their system.

A lot of money to spend designing a lens with so few obvious uses was my original point, plus it's an expensive lens to buy so you'd really need to know you'd use it.

I haven't seen anything that persuades me I'd ever need one that's for sure.

Many (well a few) will obviously disagree

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:32 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

Yeah I cant imagine hem selling many, I cant see where the demand is.

Talked to a full time product shooter who uses the 90 and 45, and the 180 macro, didnt seem too bothered and if he isnt...

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:43 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

RobDickinson wrote:

Talked to a full time product shooter who uses the 90 and 45, and the 180 macro, didnt seem too bothered and if he isnt...

I was a full time studio shooter for over 25 years, that's why I commented in the first place

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:45 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

RobDickinson wrote:

Of course, if he already has the 90 and a 180 macro. But for one who can't justify having both, the 135 might be an alternative.

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:57 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New TS-E 135葉oo heavy for 5D-class body on tripod?

alundeb wrote:
Of course, if he already has the 90 and a 180 macro. But for one who can't justify having both, the 135 might be an alternative.

Depends if you have a huge studio.

If you ever have to shoot something the size of a large fridge-freezer you are going to run out of room very quickly.

Edited on Sep 27, 2017 at 08:02 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:01 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password