New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Short Flash Duration at Full Power

Joe Marquez
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

Any recommendations on a portable strobe with a short flash duration at full power?

Trying to take advantage of leaf cameras with ability to sync flash at 1/2000 sec.

For example, the Godox AD200 is small, light and relatively powerful at 200Ws.
Unfortunately at full power, flash duration is 1/220 sec which is too slow.
It is a little better at half power, with flash duration at 1/869 sec.

The Nikon SB-5000 at full power has flash duration at 1/980 sec which is not bad.
Unfortunately, the power is much lower at about 50 to 60Ws.

Not easy to find a solution cause flash duration not easily obtainable.

Thanks for your help.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

Godox AD600 gives 1/1 1/220, 1/2 1/740, 1/4 1/1470, 1/8 1/2352. Even at an eighth it should be about as powerful as a single speedlight on full power.

C

Edited on Sep 27, 2017 at 03:29 AM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:08 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

What is your definition of a portable strobe? I suspect you won't get what you're looking for from any hot shoe style units because they all have long durations at full power and only at lower outputs have shorter durations thanks to IGBT quenching. Godox AD200 at 1/4 power or less will probably get you pretty short durations.

Probably bigger than you want, but the Elinchrom Ranger Quadra/ELB400 pack with A/Action head gives pretty short flash duration. Shortest is connected to the B port at maximum output for that port... The following are t.5 times. For t.1 the rule of thumb is to divide by 3.

Output port A (100% 424Ws): 1/2800 Output port B (33% 140Ws): 1/5700 Output port A+B (100% 424Ws): 1/4000

All that said, if you're shooting at a leaf shutter speed of 1/2000 (didn't know they went that high), you probably will get reasonable results from a longer duration strobe akin to hyper sync with focal plane shutters, however you won't get the benefit of the full strobe output since you'll just be grabbing a snippet of it. If you're trying to maximize light output for such a short shutter speed, then you'll probably have to look at a less portable strobe solution. Either a monolight at lower output (Paul C Buff Einstein: 1/2000 t.1 at 1/2 power (320Ws), 1/4464 t.1 at 1/4 power in Action mode, Godox AD600) or something like the Elinchrom Quadra or maybe one of the Profoto B1/B2 systems? There's also the Paul C Buff AlienBees B400 (160Ws) with a t.1 of 1/2000 at full power. It's not IGBT quenched at lower outputs and as a result flash duration increases. Their new smaller DigiBee DB400 is 1/1450 t.1 at full power (160Ws) and as with the B400, flash duration increases as power is decreased.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:22 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

To fully take advantage of Leaf Shutter lenses, there are two issues that you need to pay attention to. First a strobe with a short flash duration, and second, consider how you are triggering the strobe---which is more of a concern if you wish to do so wirelessly. Also consider the quality of light and the strobe, which means not concerning yourself with hypersync, losing light output, or lights such as Godox, et al on the low end.

I use the Phase XF with Schneider LS lenses, good for flash sync up to 1/1600. I assume ypu are now using the latest offerings from Hasselblad to utilize leaf shutters up to 1/2000th. The issues are the same for flash sync at these speeds.

On the low end----you can use the Einstein and Cybersync transceivers and remote. This is on the cheap, but it works, and light quality is fairly consistent. Downside is the Balcar mount.

Otherwise, best choices hands down are from Profoto and Broncolor. Hensel has some options but not much support here in the US. Built-in Profoto Air sync on the Phase XF makes this a no-brainer. Other tricks you can use for shorter flash duration include using twin tube flash heads.

You can also use Pocket Wizards for wireless remotes if you set the triggers to "fast" mode.

You've already ponied up for the medium format digital camera system. I'd suggest biting the bullet and look at Profoto or Broncolor.

Ken

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:48 AM
Joe Marquez
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

Thank you everyone. Awesome responses. I will certainly research each of your recommendations. Here's a little more info.

In the past I've used the leaf shutter on the Sony Rx1rm2 with Profoto D1's or a Nikon Sb-800 to get some dramatic daylight shots. Now I'm considering a Hasselblad x1d which syncs at 1/2000. This may involve a bit of a hike so trying to keep weight to a minimum.

Profoto B1s are certainly an option but not 100% sure if this is the best solution. Thanks again.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

Both the B1 and B2 you need to dial down to 1/4 power to hit 1/2000 t.1 duration. The B2 would be somewhat more portable if you're OK with 63Ws.

Some good flash duration info here: http://www.thebroketographers.com/blog/2017/4/13/flash-duration-analysis-with-the-sekonic-l858d-u

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:37 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

I assumed you were using the new H6D body and new H lenses. With X1D---I'd definitely ask your dealer and fellow X1D users for strobe options. It's just a unique camera. My guess is that there are more H6D users using strobes than X1D users.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

Your question (OP) got me thinking about my strobe preferences again. One reason I got into the Elinchrom Quadra system back in ~2009 was for the decently short flash duration across its power range in a relatively compact, mobile package. It was a big improvement coming from AlienBees, as was shot to shot output consistency. Re-evaluating this now, I still think the Quadra system is competitive in this regard, but if you can get away with 100Ws or less, the Profoto B2 might be interesting (flash duration is nothing special at full power).

But what really intrigues me is the Profoto D2 monolight with decent flash duration at full power and really impressive recycling and duration performance at lower output. Given how these Profoto units always fully charge the capacitor and only discharge what's needed for the given power setting, it's possible to quickly shoot a few consecutive frames at lower settings and also get great (short) flash duration. The one thing I don't like about the Quadra is it only charges the capacitor to the required output and there is always a recycling delay, shot to shot. While at lower power settings and in some situations this isn't a big concern, sometimes at events or where subject behaviour is less predictable, it would be great to be able to fire off a few frames in a sequence.

While the B1 and B2 would probably be a great solution for the OP, I'm curious about going for the D2 instead to benefit from the much faster recycling times when plugged into a wall, or if on location, run it off something like a Paul C Buff Vagabond Lithium Extreme. While I've read the D2 may not work with battery inverter systems at the fastest recycling setting, apparently a recent firmware update allows setting 50 and 25% recycling speeds, which apparently will work with the VLX, though uncertain about the Vagabond Mini. While recycling speed would get longer, you'd still benefit from having a constantly topped up capacitor, which would allow a few quick consecutive shots at lower output settings. It would just mean having to bring along the Vagabond and deal with the power cable...

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:50 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Short Flash Duration at Full Power

The Vagabond Mini isn't a good choice for the Profoto D2, but the Vagabond Lithium Extreme should be fine. I'd like the Profoto D2 for its performance and flash duration too---but can't quite justify the purchase.

Sep 29, 2017 at 01:27 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password