New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Camera Sensor Correction

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Sensor Correction

I know that if you have a lens that has a particular internal dirt spot or other problem, you can set the camera to remember that lens and fix any photos when taken so they ignore that spot. However, I have a Rebel SL1 that has been modified to Infrared and there is a semi-circle that always shows up on the left-hand center edge that I'd like to see if I can get rid of it in the camera's processing. I tried to get rid of it when I sent the camera into LifePixel, but when I got it back after a good cleaning, it still remained. My guess is it's some kind of scratch in the glass covering the sensor.

Anyone know if there's some feature in the camera (Canon SL1) like the feature where it ignores dirt in specific lenses when you use that lens?

Thanks,
Bill

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:11 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Sensor Correction

I don't know what that is, but I do think you should find out exactly how it was cleaned. Normal wet-cleaning solution does not remove biological substances (like saliva or similar). You need a special solution for that, such as "Smear Away" made by Visible Dust. So there is still the possibility that it can be cleaned off, even though conventional methods did not work.

Also, if that wasn't there before modification, I would expect the conversion company to make it right unless you waived that given the procedure.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:35 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Sensor Correction

CanadaMark wrote:
I don't know what that is, but I do think you should find out exactly how it was cleaned. Normal wet-cleaning solution does not remove biological substances (like saliva or similar). You need a special solution for that, such as "Smear Away" made by Visible Dust. So there is still the possibility that it can be cleaned off, even though conventional methods did not work.

Also, if that wasn't there before modification, I would expect the conversion company to make it right unless you waived that given the procedure.

It wasn't there post-conversion. One day I got the camera really dirty and somehow (don't remember) that dirt got into the camera and onto the sensor. I sent it to the same place that did the conversion because I didn't want to send it to Canon w/ the conversion, and they cleaned it up and sent it back to me with a comparable bill of Canon. They said it cleaned up fine, but then this half-circle showed up for the first time. I emailed it to the owner and he sent me copies of the post-cleaning trials they took w/ the camera, though I guess it could have been anyone's camera.

I hoped it would disappear, but now a year later, it's still there so it's set in gold. I guess I need to try again. Maybe I'll try Smear Away.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:53 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Sensor Correction

Canon have dust delete data but not sure it's on that model
Works for jpg and possibly raw in dpp

Sep 26, 2017 at 05:00 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Sensor Correction

Yep :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/454367/Canon-Eos-Rebel-Sl1-18-55mm-Is-Stm-Kit.html?page=237

Sep 26, 2017 at 05:04 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Sensor Correction

RobDickinson wrote:
Yep :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/454367/Canon-Eos-Rebel-Sl1-18-55mm-Is-Stm-Kit.html?page=237

Thanks Rob, that seems to have done the trick!

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:43 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Sensor Correction

billsamuels wrote:
Thanks Rob, that seems to have done the trick!

I have a (very similar) 450D-IR with a dust spot that resists dry cleaning (haven't tried wet cleaning, not sure what is safe for infrared filters). It shows as a circular darker area with soft edge, similar to the smaller dust spots on the right of your image.

I wonder how effective this dust removal in DPP is, as the size of the spot is influenced by the aperture that is used in the actual shots. I now clone out the spot in images where it stands out, but it really depends on the conditions if the spot is visible.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:27 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Sensor Correction

technic wrote:
I have a (very similar) 450D-IR with a dust spot that resists dry cleaning (haven't tried wet cleaning, not sure what is safe for infrared filters). It shows as a circular darker area with soft edge, similar to the smaller dust spots on the right of your image.

I wonder how effective this dust removal in DPP is, as the size of the spot is influenced by the aperture that is used in the actual shots. I now clone out the spot in images where it stands out, but it really depends on the conditions if the spot is visible.

Hey, I tried a wet cleaning and it still didn't work. I took it to Mike's Camera and they thought they could get it clean...for $69. I laughed and said that I'd rather send it to Canon and pay $10 more, but know I'm getting a top-notch job. I might try a diluted mixture of water and rubbing alcohol and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I already have the camera set to elminate the spot anyway, but I'd rather have it off the sensor right off hand. I'll let everyone know how it went.

Cheers,
Bill

Oct 06, 2017 at 02:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.