end

Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

Jonathan Brady
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

kevindar wrote:
read your post with great interest. Just sold my 5d3
Why not the FE 85 1.8G? isnot it lighter, smaller, and stellar?
Also how do you like the 70-300? it gets mixed reviews wrt image quality.
and I am assuming you changed 16-35 so not to fuss with adapters.
I am liquidating some canon glass. you are right, its a soft marker right now, partly b/c of a 5d4 which was hohum, with still lower res than a7rII, lower dynamic range, and a crappy video codec, and then the truly disappointing 6dII which managed to take a step back from some progress in
...Show more

I passed on the FE 85 for a few reasons. One was I really just wanted to give a Zeiss lens a try :-) lol. Simple enough, right? But two, I envision myself going with all Zeiss primes, assuming they eventually make a 35 and a 50-something, and this will simplify my post processing with regards to color matching. Another reason is the weather sealing. I live just a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico and somewhat frequently shoot out there so it's nice to have any additional sealing. Another reason is that when I was looking, I didn't see any used copies of the FE 85/1.8 so new was the only option and it's $600 while I managed to get the Batis 85 for less than half the difference between the two lenses new, so I felt it was a pretty good deal. Finally, after being thoroughly unimpressed with the Canon 85/1.8 and it's rendering, I didn't even bother to look too much into the FE 85 for fear it would be too stale as well while I was sure (for no reason other than name branding - which is obviously a flawed context) that the Zeiss Batis would render in a more pleasing way.

I like the 70-300 so far. I've tried to avoid comparing it, in my head, to the lens it directly replaced which is the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, and compare it more to a lens I had not too long ago which was the 70-300L. I have used it twice "out and about". The first time was when we took the kids to a local water park. I was taking pictures of the kids coming out of a water slide and the AF (single point, pre-focused, with AF-S) worked fairly flawlessly and the images looked nice. It was actually a bit of a torture test as many of the images had water spraying in the air in the OOF areas and I thought it performed fairly well. The other time I used it was at Busch Gardens. I had planned to use it to photograph the lions but those lazy cats were all sleeping so I couldn't get a clear view of them! The other images I took with it instead turned out well.

And yes re: the 16-35. I found that I used my 16-35 f/4L IS mostly at the wider end of the range where, based on the research I did, the FE 16-35 f/4 outperforms it. The 16-35 f/4L IS wins at the long end of the focal range where I tend to use the lens less - and I knew I'd have a prime anyway. So it made a lot of sense from an IQ perspective to switch as well.

I ditched the 85L II pretty quickly because it has a hard time focusing in low light with adapters and I use my lenses a lot indoors.

All images from the 70-300G

through glass, ISO 6400

also through glass, ISO 400 with a fair amount of lifting in post

300mm

300mm

300mm

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:38 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

The Batis also has OSS which is nice if you ever shoot with a non IBIS camera. I have both an A7R as well as a A6000 and having stabilization at the 85mm focal length is really useful. I also believe cameras such as the A7R2 with IBIS function better with a lens with OSS rather than relying on the IBIS for all of the stabilization.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Jonathan Brady
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

Yep! That was a consideration as well. The α7RII has IBIS (as will, I assume, any future body I buy), but as far as I'm concerned every little bit can help! IBIS has been awesome and has definitely allowed for slower shutter speeds on certain shots.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:26 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

If you have ibis then OSs is not very useful, especially the focal length. The fe 85 gives you the focus hold button on lenses. Super useful to program as eye focus.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:24 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

GMPhotography wrote:
I have the Sony 85 1.8 and Im not missing a beat. Its my studio lens because it does focus wide open and is very fast. But I have a great copy and it has a nice look to it. The Basis 85 is killer as well.

Yeah, the Batis is a great lens, but the FE 85/1.8 is very nearly its equal for half price. Still, it's not like going with the Batis will hurt anything, as it is a fantastic lens, and the better sealing and OSS may come in handy if using a non-stabilized body.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jonathan Brady
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

Charlie N wrote:
If you have ibis then OSs is not very useful, especially the focal length. The fe 85 gives you the focus hold button on lenses. Super useful to program as eye focus.

Do they not combine for an even greater effect than either can provide alone?

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:35 PM
kevindar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

Jonathan Brady wrote:
I passed on the FE 85 for a few reasons. One was I really just wanted to give a Zeiss lens a try :-) lol. Simple enough, right? But two, I envision myself going with all Zeiss primes, assuming they eventually make a 35 and a 50-something, and this will simplify my post processing with regards to color matching. Another reason is the weather sealing. I live just a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico and somewhat frequently shoot out there so it's nice to have any additional sealing. Another reason is that when I was looking, I
...Show more

thank you for detailed answer. I am going to go through it a bit more slowly, as I sell canon and buy more sony.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:45 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

Charlie N wrote:

Any tests you can point to that show the effectiveness of IBIS / OS versus just IBIS?

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:02 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

Jonathan Brady wrote:
My conversion from Canon to Sony happened a LOT faster than expected. In two ways. First, I didn't expect to even consider Sony until an α9R hit the market, then I'd wait and see what the reviews said, then I'd wait for the price to drop or for used bodies to be available, then, maybe, I'd buy one. But with Canon showing their hand with the 6D Mark II with regards to pushing the technological envelope (summary: they'd rather be complacent), I decided to give the α7RII a try. Second, I really didn't think the α7RII was as good
...Show more

congrats! good kit, dumping Canon was the best decision I made in photography.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:40 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony

chez wrote:
Any tests you can point to that show the effectiveness of IBIS / OS versus just IBIS?

it's more about the usability of IBIS for the given focal length. Generally for an 85, you're going to be shooting people, and should typically shoot 1/80-1/160 for low light situations. Anywhere within that range, IBIS will work very well and give consistent results.

I know with the 85, I can do 1/15 at probably 40% sharp as tripod 50% less sharp, but usable. 10% blurry. 1/10, the ratios dwindle and so forth, but I cant imagine OSS making much difference based on my previous OSS and IBIS combo with the 70-300. Sure, it's very much needed on the A7r, but if you own an A7ii or A7rii, for that specific scenario, I'de say that the extra button is a better feature. I really wished all my lenses had that button, and do hope that a future 35 f2 has that button! Sadly, current 35 f2.8, 50 f1.8 dont have it.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password