Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony
  
 
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


My conversion from Canon to Sony happened a LOT faster than expected. In two ways. First, I didn't expect to even consider Sony until an α9R hit the market, then I'd wait and see what the reviews said, then I'd wait for the price to drop or for used bodies to be available, then, maybe, I'd buy one. But with Canon showing their hand with the 6D Mark II with regards to pushing the technological envelope (summary: they'd rather be complacent), I decided to give the α7RII a try. Second, I really didn't think the α7RII was as good as it is. It's definitely been a pleasant surprise.

One of the things I promised myself when considering a move from Canon to Sony was that I would focus on getting things as small as possible without sacrificing too much. During the conversion, I went from...


  1. 5D Mark IV --> α7RII (I also had a 5Ds but I'm going to hold off on a second Sony body for now - wanting the α9R)
  2. EF 16-35 f/4L IS --> FE 16-35 f/4
  3. EF 35mm f/1.4L II --> FE 35mm f/1.4
  4. Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art --> FE 55mm f/1.8
  5. EF 85mm f/1.2L II --> Batis 85mm f/1.8
  6. EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM --> nothing - I might pick up the 100 STF
  7. EF 135mm f/2L USM --> Batis 135mm f/2.8
  8. EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM --> Nothing, never used it anyway, considering a RX100 V
  9. EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II + EF 2x III converter --> FE 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G


I didn't lose much in terms of light and shallow depth of field capabilities except with the 85 primes and the telephoto zooms, but I'm okay with that given the substantial difference in performance/weight for the 85 and weight/size for the telephoto zoom.

What I gained was a smaller kit and I'm so thankful for it. I also gained a lot of technology that has improved my images thanks to

  1. compositional freedom
  2. more accurate focusing
  3. face/eye detection and tracking
  4. lower shutter speeds thanks to IBIS.
  5. better skin tones - yeah, I think Sony's skin tones are better! Especially for my ginger wife and son which Canon made much too orange/yellow.


I also went from 2 of the Canon 600EX II-RT flashes and 3 of the Yongnuo 600EX RT-II flashes (plus MagMods for all of them), a Canon transmitter, a Yongnuo transmitter, and an Orlit RoveLight 610 HSS TTL strobe to a much smaller lighting kit. I now have the Flashpoint Zoom (aka Godox V860II), Flashpoint Mini-Zoom (aka Godox TT350), and 1 Flashpoint eVOLV 200 (aka Godox AD200) with another and the twin head on the way (thanks to a sale at Adorama yesterday), and 2 R2 transmitters.

Thanks to all this downsizing, rather than use a Pelican iM2950 I've fit everything into a Pelican 1510 which is MUCH smaller. To put it into perspective, the iM2950 is 4.5 cubic feet whereas the 1510 is 1.6 cubic feet. The weight difference is just as dramatic. The weight difference for just the case is 42 lbs vs 15 lbs, and then you factor in the weight savings from the equipment on top of that... WOW!

When I go out with a shoulder bag, the bag used to weigh SO MUCH and be rather bulky. Now, with a similar lens setup, the same bag is MUCH lighter and it's not bulging out either.

I lost a little more money on my Canon gear than I thought I would during the switch thanks to a fairly soft Canon market right now, at least in my opinion. But it was worth it and it wasn't an alarming amount by any means. Also, because I bought everything used, or new at a fantastic discount, I'll basically break even once I pickup a second camera body (right now I'm several thousand $$ ahead).

This post is just me thank you all. All of the forum people, YouTube personalities, reviewers, etc., for sharing your insight and experiences with Sony's E mount system - good, bad, and indifferent. It's been incredibly enlightening and educational. Without y'all, I would not have switched and would have remained blissfully ignorant.

I'm including a shot of my Pelican 1510 case. I know that if/when I add the 100 STF and another body, I'll have to rearrange the case, but I think I can still make it all fit :-)







Sep 26, 2017 at 03:52 PM
ecarlino
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


i've seen the few pics you've shared of your kids (great reason to get into photography, at least that was mine)......hopefully, you enjoy 'taking' photos not just carrying all that crap around all the time and/or testing it :-)

btw, i went through a similar process (from Nikon) and in the past yr or two also finally realized the less crap i had, the more pictures i took and the more i enjoyed taking photos (and the rest of my life).

i spend more time now just looking at the other half of Fred's forums where members share photos (and don't argue over tech specs, etc) and it's far more enjoyable (and educational/inspirational).


Edited on Sep 26, 2017 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions



Sep 26, 2017 at 04:01 PM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


You got a great kit. Enjoy it. I wish 3 years ago I had all these lens options available as it was tough back than coming from Nikon. Good luck and happy shooting


Sep 26, 2017 at 04:03 PM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Btw the sharpest lens in that kit is your Batis 135 just so you know. It's a killer


Sep 26, 2017 at 04:04 PM
AGeoJO
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Nothing against the Batis 85mm f/1.8, of course, it is a great lens but a more directly comparable lens in that focal length would the the GM 85mm f/1.4. That GM lens made me forget how much I love... no, how much I loved the Canon 85mm f/1.2L . But I am into portrait or people photography quite a bit....


Sep 26, 2017 at 04:05 PM
ecarlino
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


AGeoJO wrote:
But I am into portrait or people photography quite a bit....


or better stated, Joshua - they're into YOU!



Sep 26, 2017 at 04:07 PM
mttran
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Jonathan Brady wrote:
...
What I gained was a smaller kit and I'm so thankful for it. I also gained a lot of technology that has improved my images thanks to

  1. compositional freedom
  2. more accurate focusing
  3. face/eye detection and tracking
  4. lower shutter speeds thanks to IBIS.
  5. better skin tones ...

...



Roughly, this is about 3 generation updates (maybe more if counting BSI) from where you used to be. You can't be wrong on this move, congratulation and enjoy.



Sep 26, 2017 at 04:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Jonathan Brady wrote:
My conversion from Canon to Sony happened a LOT faster than expected. In two ways. First, I didn't expect to even consider Sony until an α9R hit the market, then I'd wait and see what the reviews said, then I'd wait for the price to drop or for used bodies to be available, then, maybe, I'd buy one. But with Canon showing their hand with the 6D Mark II with regards to pushing the technological envelope (summary: they'd rather be complacent), I decided to give the α7RII a try. Second, I really didn't think the α7RII was as good
...Show more

I shoot with pretty much the same gear shown on your bottom section!

However, I still own the 85/1.4GM, I just love its rendering for portraits. (Use the Batis for travel and landscapes)

On the top, I have the 12-24/4 G (instead of 16-35/4) and 100-400GM instead of the 70-300G.

BTW, the 16-35/4 ZA is a great lens as well! Here are a few images from it:





  ILCE-7RM2    FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens    16mm    f/13.0    1/20s    100 ISO    -2.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM2    FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens    20mm    f/9.0    3s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM2    FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens    23mm    f/9.0    1/4s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  






  ILCE-7RM2    FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens    16mm    f/10.0    1s    100 ISO    -3.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM2    FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS lens    19mm    f/8.0    30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  









Sep 26, 2017 at 05:05 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


ecarlino wrote:
i've seen the few pics you've shared of your kids (great reason to get into photography, at least that was mine)......hopefully, you enjoy 'taking' photos not just carrying all that crap around all the time and/or testing it :-)

btw, i went through a similar process (from Nikon) and in the past yr or two also finally realized the less crap i had, the more pictures i took and the more i enjoyed taking photos (and the rest of my life).

i spend more time now just looking at the other half of Fred's forums where members share photos (and don't argue
...Show more

Absolutely! It takes me a while to feel comfortable with certain things and I spend a lot of time building familiarity as a result. So far, I've taken over 1,100 pictures in almost exactly 2 months and my ratio of practice/testing to intended keepers is swinging quickly in the proper direction :-) Also, I RARELY take everything with me. I'll only do that on unpredictable jobs (like a wedding or a family session with multiple locations). For family outings, it's actually rare for me to take 3 lenses. Usually, it's one and sometimes 2, depending on the destination.

---------------------------------------------

GMPhotography wrote:
Btw the sharpest lens in that kit is your Batis 135 just so you know. It's a killer


I'm noticing that! :-) There's a noticeable difference between it and the 135L.

---------------------------------------------

AGeoJO wrote:
Nothing against the Batis 85mm f/1.8, of course, it is a great lens but a more directly comparable lens in that focal length would the the GM 85mm f/1.4. That GM lens made me forget how much I love... no, how much I loved the Canon 85mm f/1.2L . But I am into portrait or people photography quite a bit....


I opted to go with the Batis 85 due to size and weight. The Batis is 15mm shorter and almost half the weight. I did heavily consider the 85GM though.

---------------------------------------------

mttran wrote:
This is about 3 generation updates from where you used to be. You can't be wrong on this move, congratulation and enjoy.


You know, I never really thought about it like that, but you're right. Especially given the pace at which Canon advances!



Sep 26, 2017 at 05:08 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Fred Miranda wrote:
I shoot with pretty much the same gear shown on your bottom section!

However, I still own the 85/1.4GM. As Joshua wrote it's outstanding for portraits.

On the top, I have the 12-24/4 G (instead of 16-35/4) and 100-400GM instead of the 70-300G.


C'mon guys... stop with the 85GM stuff... I'm HAPPY with the Batis... Don't ruin that! lmao!

I considered both the 70-200 and 100-400 GM and decided against both. I really don't use telephoto zooms that often and when I do, it's usually not something that's ultra important to me, so I figured I'd go lower quality to save some $/size/weight. Given the compositional freedom of the α7RII and the ridiculous sharpness of the Batis 135, I really feel like it can take the place of most of what a 70-200 would do for me.

Also, I've noticed that, compared to shooting the 5D Mark IV (with AA filter), the increased pixel density and lack of AA filter really helps to make up some of the difference of higher quality lenses - ie, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II on the Canon 5D Mark IV vs the 70-300G on the α7RII. Obviously, it can't make up for the aperture, but I've been happy with the 70-300G thus far.



Sep 26, 2017 at 05:14 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Charlie N
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Jonathan Brady wrote:
C'mon guys... stop with the 85GM stuff... I'm HAPPY with the Batis... Don't ruin that! lmao!

I considered both the 70-200 and 100-400 GM and decided against both. I really don't use telephoto zooms that often and when I do, it's usually not something that's ultra important to me, so I figured I'd go lower quality to save some $/size/weight. Given the compositional freedom of the α7RII and the ridiculous sharpness of the Batis 135, I really feel like it can take the place of most of what a 70-200 would do for me.

Also, I've noticed that, compared to shooting
...Show more
The 85GM is terrific, and I can even live with the slowish focusing.

The novelty quickly wore out due to the weight for me, I just couldnt get over the size. Have thought about going GM from time to time, but the FE 85 f1.8 is terrific. Hard to fault, nice bokeh, nice size, nice optics. I'm easy to please, shooting with a fast 35 + 85 + TT350, pretty heavenly kit if you ask me.

not very big either, just hoping to go all native some day, but unfortunately dont think it's happening anytime soon. I can settle for mostly native.



Sep 26, 2017 at 05:30 PM
gocolts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Great kit! I also came from Canon a few years ago, and haven't looked back.

We have similar kits- I also have the A7R2, Batis 85, and FE 55 1.8, and that 85/55 combo gets used a lot. I don't need a fast 35 so I have the compact 35 2.8, and while I used to have the FE 16-35 (and liked it), I currently have a Batis 18, which I like for the size/weight, IQ, and f/2.8.

I was very tempted by the Batis 135...and will probably still have one someday, but for now "need" beat out "want", so I have the FE 70-200 2.8 instead.

And as ecarlino said, I also enjoy keeping my gear simple but high-quality. Nice to have all my stuff fitting in a bag similar in size to yours. Only other lenses I have are the FE 24-70 f/4 that replaced my 24-105L, and an FE 28 f/2 that comes in handy in low-light casual stuff.

I can understand why you'd consider waiting until the A7R2 gets replaced, but at least now you can get used to all of the Sony differences compared to Canon, and by the time a new body comes out, the only thing you'll need to do is upgrade your body, the lenses are already figured out for the most part it seems like.



Sep 26, 2017 at 05:57 PM
mttran
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Jonathan Brady wrote:
You know, I never really thought about it like that, but you're right. Especially given the pace at which Canon advances!


+1. IQ says it all, as shown by Fred's and others sample image threads



Sep 26, 2017 at 06:00 PM
GMPhotography
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


I have the Sony 85 1.8 and Im not missing a beat. Its my studio lens because it does focus wide open and is very fast. But I have a great copy and it has a nice look to it. The Basis 85 is killer as well.


Sep 26, 2017 at 06:05 PM
lbell
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


What about FE 90 Macro to replace EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM?


Sep 26, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Jonathan Brady
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


lbell wrote:
What about FE 90 Macro to replace EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro USM?


Honestly, I don't do much macro work anymore and the close up work I do (think ring shots and detail shots at a wedding) could be satisfied with the close focusing capabilities of the 100 STF and I'd have a fantastic and unique portrait lens as well.



Sep 26, 2017 at 09:12 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Might be a good one to post in the Canon forum, then again ignorance is bliss.

'I think Sony's skin tones are better!'

It's one reason I never considered Canon. Sony's system has four great 85s; and the ole 55 does not disappoint too often either:









Sep 26, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


philip_pj wrote:
Might be a good one to post in the Canon forum, then again ignorance is bliss.

'I think Sony's skin tones are better!'

It's one reason I never considered Canon. Sony's system has four great 85s; and the ole 55 does not disappoint too often either:


I agree. The 55/1.8 ZA is just a fantastic lens. It does well for portraits!

Combined with the great shadow detail of the A7RII, it's also a great lens for landscapes. Here are a couple images from it:





  ILCE-7RM2    FE 55mm F1.8 ZA lens    55mm    f/11.0    1/4s    100 ISO    -2.0 EV  






  ILCE-7RM2    FE 55mm F1.8 ZA lens    55mm    f/6.3    1/40s    100 ISO    -2.0 EV  




Sep 26, 2017 at 09:53 PM
dalite
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


Fred, the sunset shot with rocks is killa! Also the first one of the Grand Canyon.


Sep 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM
kevindar
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Well that happened faster than expected! From Canon to Sony


read your post with great interest. Just sold my 5d3
Why not the FE 85 1.8G? isnot it lighter, smaller, and stellar?
Also how do you like the 70-300? it gets mixed reviews wrt image quality.
and I am assuming you changed 16-35 so not to fuss with adapters.
I am liquidating some canon glass. you are right, its a soft marker right now, partly b/c of a 5d4 which was hohum, with still lower res than a7rII, lower dynamic range, and a crappy video codec, and then the truly disappointing 6dII which managed to take a step back from some progress in sensor development. that was the nail in the coffin for my canon upgrade path. just got tired of waiting.
I actually love a lot of my canon lenses on a7rII. I really like the 85LII, which I think focuses as quickly and accurately, if not more so on a7rII.



Sep 27, 2017 at 03:48 AM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password