New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

mehrdad sadat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

how much impact is there, i have heard through reliable source that they are in receivership (just as they are rolling one of their best products) . there was no shortage of d5, d500, 1dxii, 5dv, a9 and all the sudden we are way way back to early days. if they underestimated the demand, its also bad management.

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:14 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

And what is the point of this thread

All you have done is post hearsay rumors, with no facts or proof to back up your claims. I think there are Nikon rumor sites for these types of threads.

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:36 PM
shoot3r

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

Maybe they are broke and could only produce 100 D850s. That's why they can't fill orders

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:41 PM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

the point is i am trying to figure out whats going one

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:43 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

mehrdad sadat wrote:
how much impact is there, i have heard through reliable source that they are in receivership (just as they are rolling one of their best products) . there was no shortage of d5, d500, 1dxii, 5dv, a9 and all the sudden we are way way back to early days. if they underestimated the demand, its also bad management.

Ah, the classic "reliable source" . . .

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:47 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

What is the source? Anyone could make that claim. Sounds like yet another bad rumor. You'd also think that people much closer to Nikon like Thom Hogan would have picked up on this already. Nikon's last financials did not look bad enough for receivership but I suppose anything is possible.

Nikon's recent financial losses were mostly in their semiconductor lithography business, not cameras. Their debt isn't too bad and it's held at very low interest rates in Japan.

Also there was a definite D500 shortage, all the way into July in the year of its release. The D5 series bodies rarely have shortages due to being very low volume in comparison. Canon is a much, much, larger company and I imagine it's a lot easier for them to ramp up production. I would also venture a guess that due to the typically minor nature of their refreshes, there isn't quite as much pent up initial demand for new releases. I would also think that in 1-2 months the D850 won't be too hard to find either.

They are selling every D850 they can make, that is great news for them. They are also trying to get a MILC out, so a lot of effort is probably being focused there right now too. They fill NPS orders first which is why when a popular new camera released, a lot of regular pre-orders don't get filled. They also have to stock up every other country. Overproducing can be just as bad, so they probably prefer to slightly under-produce. The first and second shipments to North America were not even 2 weeks apart, that's really not that bad.

If you want to know what's going on, why not just ask the 'reliable' source?

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

mehrdad sadat wrote:

Nothing is going on, unless you have some FACTS to show otherwise.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:02 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

"I heard from this random camera employee at my local camera shop that *insert clearly baseless claim*"

Very easy to google the financials of a public company...

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:07 PM
marksdca

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

I'm trying to figure out why original post has two Canons and a Sony camera and trying to equate those with possible Nikon issues. Demand has everything to do with availability. There had been pent up demand for a camera such as the D850, some having called it a true replacement for the D700. Not sure I would go that far. But Nikon isn't the only company that faces supply issues upon release. Apple has the same issues and no one is questioning their financial stability.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:53 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

nikon can do whatever they want now, close theirs doors, go on strike, move to the planet Mars

i have my d850 and i am a happy camper

Sep 26, 2017 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

marksdca wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why original post has two Canons and a Sony camera and trying to equate those with possible Nikon issues. Demand has everything to do with availability. There had been pent up demand for a camera such as the D850, some having called it a true replacement for the D700. Not sure I would go that far. But Nikon isn't the only company that faces supply issues upon release. Apple has the same issues and no one is questioning their financial stability.

True replacement for D700 What I think it is more a replacement for the D810.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

gdsf2 wrote:
True replacement for D700 What I think it is more a replacement for the D810.

Oh gawd... not this again... TOO MUCH RESOLUTION!

Use the S-RAW option and stop yelling about having more pixels than you need.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:05 PM
traylorc
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

Since when did we start referring to Google as a "reliable source"?

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Lance B
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

FUD

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:43 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

Arka wrote:
Oh gawd... not this again... TOO MUCH RESOLUTION!

Use the S-RAW option and stop yelling about having more pixels than you need.

What the heck are you talking about? When did I ever complain about having too many MPs? I was questioning why somebody would see the D850 as the “true” replacement for the D700 (almost). I thought the D700 was replaced by the D750.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:44 PM
Ai_Print
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

mehrdad sadat wrote:

Well, don't.

It's proprietary business information that you and your rumor mill are not privy to and all posting on the internet does is create needless rumors that get nowhere.

Nikon is a great brand, makes great products and deserves respect regardless of whatever financial position they are in. And lets not forget that there are real live human beings employed by this company that depend on it's health and prosperity.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I find posts like this self serving and disrespectful.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:46 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

gdsf2 wrote:
What the heck are you talking about? When did I ever complain about having too many MPs? I was questioning why somebody would see the D850 as the “true” replacement for the D700 (almost). I thought the D700 was replaced by the D750.

Many of the criticisms leveled at the D800 when it was released about 5 years ago held that it wasn't a "true" D700 replacement - it had too much resolution was the most common complaint. Having owned and used both (excellent) cameras, I found that criticism to arbitrary at best... it's not like the D700 needs to be "replaced," and it seems odd to me that we are still talking about its "replacement" nearly a decade after it's introduction. But as long as that's where we are... the D850 seems to fit the bill because it, like the D700, sits right below the "pro" level high-speed offering with the integrated vertical grip (D5 or D3 respectively) in terms of features and cost. And the complaints about "too much resolution" have largely been answered by support for S-RAW.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:00 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

I trust public disclosures that are provided and audited over some random "I heard it at my camera shop" rumor.

*Seems most of these rumors are started by Sony fanboys, which is ironic as Sony was in very dire straights in the past 24 months, and by many measures is still in the midst of restructuring. (Publicly available info re that)

PPS. I've owned an entire A7 setup so no bone to pick on my end.
traylorc wrote:
Since when did we start referring to Google as a "reliable source"?

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:06 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

Ai_Print wrote:
Well, don't.

It's proprietary business information that you and your rumor mill are not privy to and all posting on the internet does is create needless rumors that get nowhere.

Nikon is a great brand, makes great products and deserves respect regardless of whatever financial position they are in. And lets not forget that there are real live human beings employed by this company that depend on it's health and prosperity.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I find posts like this self serving and disrespectful.

Actually, if it were true, and I can find no evidence it is, then it would be public information as it is a publically owned company. Also, if it were true, the OP would be justified in his concerns. One would not want to buy expensive equipment from a company that may not be around to stand behind them (warranty) and support them (new lenses and other ecosystem parts). So, you were overly harsh in my opinion. But, the OP should do some research before posting nonsense.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:10 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · nikon's financial trouble d850 roll out

Arka wrote:
Many of the criticisms leveled at the D800 when it was released about 5 years ago held that it wasn't a "true" D700 replacement - it had too much resolution was the most common complaint. Having owned and used both (excellent) cameras, I found that criticism to arbitrary at best... it's not like the D700 needs to be "replaced," and it seems odd to me that we are still talking about its "replacement" nearly a decade after it's introduction. But as long as that's where we are... the D850 seems to fit the bill because it, like the D700, sits
...Show more

Ok, so you agree with me then. Good. I like when thst happens.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:13 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password