FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

clickmepp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

DP Review published - The Nikon D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1343695324/the-nikon-d850-could-be-the-only-dslr-you-ll-ever-need

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:36 PM
worldexclus1ve

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

I agree. I'm thinking about buying a D500 until I can save up for a D850.
Going from Sony to Nikon because of this camera.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:42 PM
Photozack81
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

worldexclus1ve wrote:
I agree. I'm thinking about buying a D500 until I can save up for a D850.
Going from Sony to Nikon because of this camera.

Owning a D500 is what is stopping me from getting a D850. I don't figure I need it. The D500 has the FPS, the autofocus, and the image quality. 40mp would be nice on occasion, but not often enough to invest that much in it.

Maybe when they start hitting the used market.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:50 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

They forgot to add the word "today" onto the end of their headline.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:51 PM
worldexclus1ve

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

Photozack81 wrote:
Owning a D500 is what is stopping me from getting a D850. I don't figure I need it. The D500 has the FPS, the autofocus, and the image quality. 40mp would be nice on occasion, but not often enough to invest that much in it.

Maybe when they start hitting the used market.

I deal in social media and web design so high MP isn't needed. But when the D850 drops into the sub $2800 range used, it would be a no brainer to pick one up. But for now the D500 will do everything required.

Edited on Sep 26, 2017 at 01:59 PM · View previous versions

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:54 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

clickmepp wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1343695324/the-nikon-d850-could-be-the-only-dslr-you-ll-ever-need

That was not thier review, but rather a blog post I believe. But anyway, the title is funny.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:56 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

This isn't their review, it's just their blog entry for the Nikon sponsored event all the other bloggers got sent to.

The quality of DPRs articles has really been hitting new lows lately - they even post smartphone rumors and pure clickbait to fill up their news feed now. They structure most of their articles in clickbait format. The only thing they still do OK is their full reviews (minus the hilarious rating system) and their comparison tools are still the best. Also this article is quite late assuming that's the same event everyone else got invited to. It's free though, so one can only complain so much

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:25 PM
shoot3r

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

If true, this is great for us, the consumers, but I have to wonder what Nikon was thinking. This camera basically makes all their other DSLRs redundant. The price will be a limiting factor, though. What will they do from here on out? It doesn't seem like there's really much more room (or need) for improvement in the DSLR world. Mirrorless?

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:40 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

DPR headlines are getting more and more immature all the time. This one is just the latest. D850 is undeniably a great camera, but hardly will be what they say it might be.

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:45 PM
shoot3r

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

jhinkey wrote:
DPR headlines are getting more and more immature all the time. This one is just the latest. D850 is undeniably a great camera, but hardly will be what they say it might be.

Don't say that over there on the DPR forums. They'll eat you alive

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

shoot3r wrote:
If true, this is great for us, the consumers, but I have to wonder what Nikon was thinking. This camera basically makes all their other DSLRs redundant. The price will be a limiting factor, though. What will they do from here on out? It doesn't seem like there's really much more room (or need) for improvement in the DSLR world. Mirrorless?

There are always ways to improve. The D850 is incredible but it could still have things like:

- Higher FPS
- Bigger buffer
- More resolution with the same or better performance and more crop modes
- All new sensor technology
- PDAF in live view
- Faster electronic shutter
- 4K/60p+
- AF can always be improved
- Processing speed can always be improved
- Meters can always be improved
- Hybrid VF
- Better connectivity, accessories, and wireless options

And lots more I'm probably not thinking about. The question of "how could they improve?" gets asked almost any time a new camera comes out, and we keep finding out every 2-4 years.

Also, price is a huge factor. Nikon's lineup is still well spaced, both with features and price.

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:59 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

jhinkey wrote:

The same could be said for the internet and "social media" (I hate that term) as a whole though....

Clicks equate to dollars, so sites create content that drives traffic, for better or worse

DPR is essentially a marketing tool these days, its not a paid access, objective and impartial site.

Nikon paid for "reviewers" to go on a trip and gain access, in return it is "expected" the outlet will provide some press, and typically it will be favorable. Lets face it, if they send "Joe I have a popular website talking about camera gear" on a paid trip, and Joe provides zero press, or simply pans the product hard, do you think Joe is going to the next one ? Not hardly.

At the same time, Joe wants that content, because Joe also is in the business of driving traffic to his site, so if he can be among the first to have a "review", which then tens of thousands of internet photo enthusiast types all will rush and click on, its in his best interest too

This thing many of us call a "hobby", or a "passion" or an "artform" is many peoples way of earning a living. Not so much by being a photographer, but by catering to photographers.

Maybe its a better living honestly....

I was a pro shooter for over a decade and worked pretty darn hard. I'm sure these days there are people who make way better livings than I do simply by talking about cameras..... more power to them, but it is what it is....

We, as in those of us who frequent the internet to talk and read about cameras, and to a lesser extent photography (I mean lets face it, we are discussing this on a gear site lol) created the 'market' for bloggers, vloggers, camera reviewers, et al.

The fact that like it or not, Joe so and so can post content and we all go click it, means it has value. Even if we then turn around and talk about what a poor review it is, how its all about marketing etc...

Its essentially "let me get on the internet and share with everyone how wrong this guys opinion is and how biased he is and how he's just a marketing shrill,........right after I finish reading each and every word he wrote"

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:34 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

CanadaMark wrote:
There are always ways to improve. The D850 is incredible but it could still have things like:

- Higher FPS
- Bigger buffer
- More resolution with the same or better performance and more crop modes
- All new sensor technology
- PDAF in live view
- Faster electronic shutter
- 4K/60p+
- AF can always be improved
- Processing speed can always be improved
- Meters can always be improved
- Hybrid VF
- Better connectivity, accessories, and wireless options

And lots more I'm probably not thinking about. The question of "how could they improve?" gets asked almost any time a new camera comes out, and we keep finding out every 2-4
...Show more

Yes, you did forget - smaller and lighter - because that will be mentioned sooner or later.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

The only one? No, I don't think so. It's pretty big & bulky. I also want a small camera for travel and hiking at altitudes. And, the current retail is too high for most (including me) to own two, which are needed for back up.

Kent in SD

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:25 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

clickmepp wrote:

Sort of like the last fax machine, or typewriter, or buggy whip you'll ever need?

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:53 PM
bobmcg
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

Since seeing the specs on this camera, I've considered the D850 to be something of a "Hail Mary" for Nikon given it's rather less than stellar financial performance. It had to score big and I think it did. Regarding what's next, technology marches on. But you are right, regarding increased megapixels, not seeing a need beyond what this camera can do. More FPS is always appreciated.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:58 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

bobmcg wrote:
Since seeing the specs on this camera, I've considered the D850 to be something of a "Hail Mary" for Nikon given it's rather less than stellar financial performance. It had to score big and I think it did. Regarding what's next, technology marches on. But you are right, regarding increased megapixels, not seeing a need beyond what this camera can do. More FPS is always appreciated.

The financials weren't that bad. The "extraordinary loss" that was announced was from the semiconductor lithography business unit.

They do need to inject some excitement into their lower-end DX lines where they generate the majority of their profits, and I think that's what they will be looking to mirrorless is for.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:02 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

I don't think the first mirrorless bodies /lenses are going to be that inexpensive. I expect Df pricing.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:15 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

harvey steeves wrote:
I don't think the first mirrorless bodies /lenses are going to be that inexpensive. I expect Df pricing.

I see them going a different way at the start. I think they are going to go after the EOS M5 at the $999 price point (which Nikon can clearly see was successful for Canon and sets a low bar) with a DX mirrorless, as that is also where they need a sales boost. Announce 3-5 lenses with it, and then work on adding more lenses along with a FF mirrorless later in 2018, and/or different levels of DX mirrorless bodies.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:20 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D850 could be the only DSLR you値l ever need.. - DPReview

Actually, I'm anticipating full frame Coolpix A with the same sensor/chips as D850. FF Coolpix A with EVF. Nikon could start with 35mm f/2.8, then expand to 28 or 24mm f/2.8. Then expand to 50mm f/2.0, maybe 85mm.

Of course, they'd be about two thou each.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password