Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

Looking at buying two 5D Mark IVs and can pick up brand new grey market camera bodies (with box and all accessories) for $2700 each. That's a whopping $600 less per camera body than the new USA units - for the exact same camera.

No, you don't get a Canon warranty with them, but the seller is offering a 1-year warranty with the camera. I've been shooting with the 5D series for 10 years now and have probably put half a million images on the cameras and literally nothing has ever broken in the first couple years of ownership. Honestly, I'm not even worried about the warranty issue.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of with grey market bodies?

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:56 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

I've been buying grey stuff for years, usually because the prices are much more reasonable over here.

Yes there's a risk if there is an initial fault but after the first year you are in exactly the same position as everyone else, you have to pay for repairs.

You just need to make sure it's a reputable seller and here you can and now usually do have to pay import tax fees

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Jimi3
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

I've heard of people getting gray market items off of eBay that supposedly have seller warranties and then running into problems when they actually need warranty service. But yeah, I've never had a camera need to be repaired in he first year either.....

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:03 PM
Desbris

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

If you can get a grey market item with an official warranty for your country then it's a great way of saving money.

Some grey market places will offer direct Canon warranty too. You just gotta do some research and check out feedback.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:48 PM
GammyKnee
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

I bought my 5DIV from a grey market seller, and saved £1000 over the best non-grey UK price I could find.

All I would say is do your homework on the seller, e.g. check the terms of their returns policy and the substitute warranty they provide and see if that squares up with reports from people who've bought from them. Also maybe test their front line support by emailing / phoning in a question or two. Of course all of that advice holds for any major purchase, grey or not.

In my case I got a three year warranty; the arrangement for the first year is just send it to Canon and the seller will pick up the tab, so essentially no difference from buying non-grey.

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:03 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

deepbluejh wrote:
Looking at buying two 5D Mark IVs and can pick up brand new grey market camera bodies (with box and all accessories) for $2700 each. That's a whopping $600 less per camera body than the new USA units - for the exact same camera.

No, you don't get a Canon warranty with them, but the seller is offering a 1-year warranty with the camera. I've been shooting with the 5D series for 10 years now and have probably put half a million images on the cameras and literally nothing has ever broken in the first couple years of ownership. Honestly, I'm
...Show more

Canon cameras sold in some markets have no wifi or GPS, so you might lose those features.

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

I don't buy grey market products because I want my regional dealers to exist.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:22 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

Only reason I can think of is if you don't like money With Nikon the decision is more difficult because Nikon USA wont even work on grey-market gear, even out of warranty. Canon is much more lenient in that regard.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:57 PM
artsf
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

I would not buy a grey market 5div. I bought mine from B&H and it was locking up, apparently not so unusual manufacturing defect on some Canon models. I was so glad I got to exchange it within the return window and the replacemnt is absolutey perfect months later of heavy use.
I think 1 month of heavy use is enough for evaluation so if the ‘grey’ seller offers good return/exchange policy then it might be worth considering. But aren’t 5div now available as refurbsihed through Canon for a good price? Otherwise, I think buying a slightly used with low shutter count but still under warranty might be a better solution.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:04 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

There are USA models for ~$3000, so you would save $300. However, if the camera has a issue and you want to return it, there is usually a 15% charge for returns, so your only reasonable option is to ask for a exchange and risk getting a camera that someone else has returned.

I went for the $3000 deal with my 5D MK IV, and received the drops and spills warranty with it, since it was from a Authorized USA seller.

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:44 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any reason not to buy a grey market 5D Mark IV?

Well I went ahead and bought two of the bodies for $2669 each (shipped). I've literally never had any problems with any of my 5D bodies (aside from the 5D classic mirror falling out). I feel confident about my odds on this one.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password