Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Anybody remember the good old days?

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody remember the good old days?

The P S P days as I call them. Pre Smart Phone.

Every Summer it gets even worse. All the guests with all their phones. Now they even dance with them.

Just what Jack & Jill want to see on their 10th wedding anniversary, photos of all their loved ones with an Apple logo in their face.

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:34 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody remember the good old days?

As phone cameras get better it only gets worse! At least Google Glass never picked up and you don't have a ton of people with their fingers up to tap their glasses to take a photo!

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:27 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody remember the good old days?

Ceremonies are approaching full on photoshoots around here. The walks up and down the isle are almost always a shit show with cell phones.

This is a quick walk down the isle (crop) from Saturday

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:38 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody remember the good old days?

I'm curious where all these cell photos/(vertical:gag: ) videos go? Do they stay on the phone and get buried into oblivion under all the doggie pics, baby snaps and selfies? Do they go somewhere meaningful? Do they get printed?

Edited on Sep 25, 2017 at 06:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:03 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody remember the good old days?

S-Man23 wrote:
I'm curious where all these cell photos/(vertical:gag videos go? Do they stay on the phone and get buried into oblivion under all the doggie pics, baby snaps and selfies? Do they go somewhere meaningful? Do they get printed?

My question exactly!

In my experience the vids get shown once or twice, maybe the same for the pics and that's it. I personally am yet to ever see a pic from a phone printed.
People go on like them getting their crappy pics or video ( and lets face it, 95% of them are CRAP shaking around with more footage of the floor, ceiling or someones arse) is the most important thing in the world and it's imperative THEY get their pics/ vid because no one of the other 100 people there doing the same thing will get it. If you as the hired help get in THEIR way, you are some sort of rude and inconsiderate person that should have made sure to stay out their way!

This parroted thing about how good mobile phones are now for picture taking drives me nuts.
I don't care how good the phone is, the people using them and the way they use them is absolutely shithouse. I'm sick to death of people ( like my nices and nephews) showing me phone pics that are virtually indiscernible as to what the hell they are a actually a picture of.
Most of the time they are dark, distant and a poor recording of the scene overall.

Got 2 Birthdays in the family coming up and as usual, have been asked to do slide shows. Of course the majority of the pics supplied are garbage crap pictures from phones. Thing is, the pics taken on the most basic P&S camera's I know a couple of family members have are fine.

It's not about the recording devise, it's about the care and importance people put into taking the pics. With a phone, wave it around like a magic wand, fire away in any black hole of a corner, The number of pictures taken is in direct proportion to how pissed you and everyone else is, how bad you look, how bad the lighting/ location and always shoot vertical for Facechatgramtwit no matter how wide and short the scene is.

Give the same people a camera and they tend to be more sober or at least act like it, take some care in setting the shot up and overall give it more of a sense of importance and occasion.
The results are entirely different.
Then of course the phone pics are never from the phone, they are uploaded to the fog and then faceboob so the res is crap and then emailed to you just for good measure.

Going on about how good camera's in phones are now is a bit like giving your grandmother a Lamborghini for her 90Th birthday and raving about how fast she can get to church on Sunday now.

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:56 PM
VetraLens
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody remember the good old days?

Not a wedding photographer, but I photograph a weekly magazine column that spotlights a new bar in town. A dozen or so candid photos of the busy establishment on a Friday or Saturday night, in only the bar's existing lighting. Not a week goes by that I don't have a half-dozen glowing faces dotting up an otherwise dark scene.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:56 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anybody remember the good old days?

A new wrinkle in 2017, bride's don't seem to care anymore. It just is.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:59 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anybody remember the good old days?

I've had multiple "unplugged" weddings this year where the guests pretty much just ignored the clients requests and snapped away.

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:06 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anybody remember the good old days?

^ ah yes, popular sport to count how many guests bust the embargo. Did you have a 3 bandit wedding or a 4?

Sep 25, 2017 at 08:22 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anybody remember the good old days?

So we can all agree this is a fundamental sea change?

When I chat it up with more aggressive personal documentarians, often the justification is something like ... "Grandma so-and-so can't be here — she's sick — and we have to get her photos instantly". They immediately conceded your photos will be way better (not the point) but feel some compelling need to shoot. all. day.

I don't think you can shame anyone into thinking all guests with a smart phone is somehow wrong, but maybe there's a marketing problem to be solved.

Is there lemonade to be made from these lemons?

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:09 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anybody remember the good old days?

LeeSimms wrote:
^ ah yes, popular sport to count how many guests bust the embargo. Did you have a 3 bandit wedding or a 4?

I count at least 5 just on the aisle, there were many more.

http://www.asekellickphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/CN0798.jpg

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:18 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anybody remember the good old days?

Too many brides today want to be plastered all over social media for attention. Very few respect the memory and privacy, and ask for tech-free days. That’s dying fast... because we all know attention is king now. Sad.

I’d just share examples with brides, and ask them to consider a tech-free day. Some you’ll win, some you’ll lose. So be it.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anybody remember the good old days?

Who cares if there are phones in the pics? It is how it is and we document it. Why insist on whining over it? Never had anyone complain. Adapt or be left behind

Sep 26, 2017 at 04:26 AM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anybody remember the good old days?

InSanE wrote:
Who cares if there are phones in the pics? It is how it is and we document it. Why insist on whining over it? Never had anyone complain. Adapt or be left behind

Because it impacts our jobs when people step into the aisle to get a shot. Because people stare at their screens instead of actually witnessing the event. It is what it is and I have no problem still getting the shots I need, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:46 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anybody remember the good old days?

> Never had anyone complain.

Never had a couple put up a sign asked for an 'unplugged wedding' ?

Sep 26, 2017 at 09:08 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anybody remember the good old days?

InSanE wrote:

Sometimes professionals like to commiserate over shared experiences and frustrations. Its not whining, its just a way to blow off steam sometimes.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:03 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anybody remember the good old days?

I do have an agenda. I'm trying to brainstorm a way to monetize what's lurking underneath. Sometimes as a start, you just blab — which is what I'm doing.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:05 AM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anybody remember the good old days?

Same day slideshow to watch the photographer's art is so passé.

Take it to next level with on-going loop of images from guests taken by their phones. Instant, live and everyone is engaged into the process.

If they want to snap, then let them snap some more!

Make every single guest and their camera a walking photo booth.

(You sell the equipment rental and install, that secret hashtag or service where people uploads their pics and if you add a printer, then sell the instant prints too!)

LeeSimms wrote:
I do have an agenda. I'm trying to brainstorm a way to monetize what's lurking underneath. Sometimes as a start, you just blab — which is what I'm doing.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:24 AM
JacobsLadder

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anybody remember the good old days?

I despise iPads even more than cell phones.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anybody remember the good old days?

> Make every single guest and their camera a walking photo booth.

> (You sell the equipment rental and install, that secret hashtag or service where people uploads their pics and if you add a printer, then sell the instant prints too!)

Exactly something like this. I see the desire as two-fold ...

1. clearly there's a desire for instant photos - want them for social media right now - no waiting for traditional professional photography turn around
2. all the smart phone photos go into the abyss - need to capture them all with forced contribution to couple's hashtag

Thinking about a operator-managed upgrade that has both instant photos (we give them images in 24 hours), plus instant printing (dye sub) of anyone who sends an image to couple's hashtag. A operator with a MacBookPro does the ingest onsite and culls the job in realtime, plus tech supports any issues with the dye-sub (or printing configuration).

What's it worth?

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:03 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.