1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Review - ProFoto A1

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Review - ProFoto A1

Lanny Mann wrote:
FrancisK7, you can certainly test drive ours at the workshop. Can't wait!

Lanny, do you really find that these things recycle faster than other flash brands. The specs on these say 1.2 sec at full power my Godox claim a 1.5 sec recycle to full power.

Have you used them enough yet to run into overheating problems and the flash either shutting down completely or at least slowing the recycle times?

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:13 PM
JacobsLadder

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Review - ProFoto A1

Ziffl3 wrote:
Lanny,
Appreciate the video and the time to step out onto the forum.

-Mark

Haha, I'm sure he enjoyed the warm welcome and that we can expect many more posts like this from him in the future

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:22 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Review - ProFoto A1

His frame of reference is the Canon - AA powered speed lights not the Chinese Li-ion power speed lights that have popped up in the last few years.

AA vs Li-ion - the Li-ion will always win in the capacitor recharge times.

However for my Godox Li-ion power lights - they won't fire unless the capacitors are fully charged - the AA lights will fire even if not fully charged - so you will get some under powered lights vs no lights...that's been the problem I have experienced in my move to Li-ion powered lights.

MRomine wrote:
Lanny, do you really find that these things recycle faster than other flash brands. The specs on these say 1.2 sec at full power my Godox claim a 1.5 sec recycle to full power.

Have you used them enough yet to run into overheating problems and the flash either shutting down completely or at least slowing the recycle times?

Edited on Sep 29, 2017 at 05:16 PM · View previous versions

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:34 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Review - ProFoto A1

Littleguy wrote:
However for my Godox Li-ion power lights - they won't fire unless they are fully charged - the AA lights will fire even if not not fully charged - so you will get some under powered lights vs no lights...that's been the problem I have experienced in my move to Li-ion powered lights.

Did you mean to say the capacitors being fully charged or do really mean the batteries?

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:12 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Review - ProFoto A1

JacobsLadder wrote:
Haha, I'm sure he enjoyed the warm welcome and that we can expect many more posts like this from him in the future

To be fair the Wedding forum on FM has never been a warm, friendly and welcoming place. Not since I started lurking here in 2007.

It's however one of the least toxic forums I have seen and a place you can get genuine reactions and credible opinions from actually working photographers.

It's true people were rough on Lanny but he raised two kids whilst running a business with Erika and they did so all over the world -- I think he can take it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:13 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Review - ProFoto A1

Sorry I meant the capacitors being fully charged.

MRomine wrote:
Did you mean to say the capacitors being fully charged or do really mean the batteries?

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:36 PM
JacobsLadder

p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
To be fair the Wedding forum on FM has never been a warm, friendly and welcoming place. Not since I started lurking here in 2007.

It's however one of the least toxic forums I have seen and a place you can get genuine reactions and credible opinions from actually working photographers.

It's true people were rough on Lanny but he raised two kids whilst running a business with Erika and they did so all over the world -- I think he can take it.

It's a great tag line - FM, we're not quite as toxic as other forums haha. And I agree, he handled it like an absolute pro. But let's also recognize that many here are quick to jump on their high horse just for the sake of being able to gallop that horse over other people, especially people that have attained a certain level of success or, for the lack of a better word, fame in this industry. Let's not be naive - everyone here knows how this industry works with sponsorships - there are no easy victims here on FM or in this thread ready to be scammed. For some (littlguy and maybe one or two others excluded), holding Lanny's feet to the fire was done for no reason other than to fluff one's own ego and make him bow to the FM masses.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:42 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Review - ProFoto A1

JacobsLadder wrote:
But let's also recognize that many here are quick to jump on their high horse just for the sake of being able to gallop that horse over other people, especially people that have attained a certain level of success or, for the lack of a better word, fame in this industry.

I think everyone recognizes and accepts that. Perhaps it would be more enjoyable if the place felt like a walk in a Disney Park (Pandora baby I am coming soon, I just need to find a sitter willing to watch two babies for a week, or two) but I'm not sure it would always lead to the most interesting or revealing conversations.

People jetpack jumping on their rocket horses happens in every forum/FB group I frequent on a REGULAR basis. It's emotions and egos and is to be expected.

Lanny sure did and as you said handled the heat like an absolute pro.

JacobsLadder wrote:
Let's not be naive - everyone here knows how this industry works with sponsorships - for some, holding Lanny's feet to the fire was done for no reason other than to fluff one's own ego and make him bow to the FM masses.

I disagree that it was done ONLY to fluff one's ego. It could have been, but the source of the interrogation was absolutely not fluff. The questioning led to an important detail that affects transparency. That is what critical thinking is, one must know all the possible influences over someone's opinion. It's not disrespectful to ask those questions. I'm sure the conversation could have been more diplomatic but I'm not a UN appointee so what the hell do I know.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:54 PM
JacobsLadder

p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
I think everyone recognizes and accepts that. Perhaps it would be more enjoyable if the place felt like a walk in a Disney Park (Pandora baby I am coming soon, I just need to find a sitter willing to watch two babies for a week, or two) but I'm not sure it would always lead to the most interesting or revealing conversations.

People jetpack jumping on their rocket horses happens in every forum/FB group I frequent on a REGULAR basis. It's emotions and egos and is to be expected.

Lanny sure did and as you said handled the heat like an absolute
...Show more

I agree. But I do not think interesting and revealing conversations have to be achieved at any expense. I'm, sure that if Littleguy or you had started the conversation about transparency and disclosure there would have been a professional, respectful tone to this thread. Unfortunately it was more of a witch hunt thanks to others here who have no interest in being professional or respectful. Again, this comes down to ego and, dare I say, jealousy. Hey, I just call it like I see it.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:59 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Review - ProFoto A1

JacobsLadder wrote:
I agree. But I do not think interesting and revealing conversations have to be achieved at any expense. I'm, sure that if Littleguy or you had started the conversation about transparency and disclosure there would have been a professional, respectful tone to this thread. Unfortunately it was more of a witch hunt thanks to others here who have no interest in being professional or respectful. Again, this comes down to ego and, dare I say, jealousy. Hey, I just call it like I see it.

It did feel like a witch hunt at one point, agreed. In this day and age, pessimism and being on guard is de rigueur so you're guaranteed to find opinions voiced loud and clear with a bit of investigative journalism on the side whenever there is something even remotely suspicious. The moment a bunch of promo videos surfaced all at once it was inevitable.

I don't do so well in conflicts and tend to lose control rather quickly so I make great efforts to stay calm, especially online where things are so easily misinterpreted without voice inflexion and body language to help contextualize things. People also tend to be harsher behind a keyboard than they would be in real life. I know I can be.

Personally in this era of "fake news" where I need to actually pay and subscribe to reputable media to get factual, verified information and daily news, I welcome a bit more rigor in disclosing that kind of business relationship. Whether we all know how this industry works or not, it's all in the details. "Profoto gave us their new lights and some money to throw a party so we could try them -- Here Are the Ten Awesome Things We Loved About Them" is not the same as "We bought these lights out of our own volition we our money and threw a party to test these awesome new toys -- death to AA, long live li-on!"

All the people I have met in real life that hang here are mature adults with families and responsibilities but especially critical thinkers who certainly appreciate these nuances. That Lanny clarified things so quickly and with such cool is all to his credit.

I will bring my V860II to the workshop and perhaps we can make fun comparisons

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JacobsLadder

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
It did feel like a witch hunt at one point, agreed. In this day and age, pessimism and being on guard is de rigueur so you're guaranteed to find opinions voiced loud and clear with a bit of investigative journalism on the side whenever there is something even remotely suspicious. The moment a bunch of promo videos surfaced all at once it was inevitable.

I don't do so well in conflicts and tend to lose control rather quickly so I make great efforts to stay calm, especially online where things are so easily misinterpreted without voice inflexion and body language
...Show more

I appreciate your input and perspective on this. Doesn't change my perception that there are some real a-holes here - internet or real life a-holes is besides the point - that do nothing but bring the FM community and experience down for their own benefit. The sooner we stop accepting it and making excuses for them the better off we'll be. But now we're beating a dead horse. Thanks Francis, enjoy your weekend.

Sep 29, 2017 at 06:47 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Review - ProFoto A1

JacobsLadder wrote:
I appreciate your input and perspective on this. Doesn't change my perception that there are some real a-holes here - internet or real life a-holes is besides the point - that do nothing but bring the FM community and experience down for their own benefit. The sooner we stop accepting it and making excuses for them the better off we'll be. But now we're beating a dead horse. Thanks Francis, enjoy your weekend.

Easy there young FM padawan.... choice of words also help shape opinions.
Just sayin’.

-mark

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:53 PM
JacobsLadder

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Review - ProFoto A1

Ziffl3 wrote:
Easy there young FM padawan.... choice of words also help shape opinions.
Just sayin’.

-mark

After all the BS and bad behavior in this thread THIS is what finally brings out your misplaced sense of chivalry?

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:10 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Review - ProFoto A1

If anyone thinks people have been harsh in this thread, check out some of the “Fearless” portfolio critiques. Some of those can be pretty brutal. Asking someone to clarify how they got a product is quite minor.

I actually like the review Lanny did for this flash. It’s really well done. I video alone is way ahead of 99% of the spec sheet readers on YouTube. I honestly hope to see more reviews from Two Mann.

Edited on Sep 30, 2017 at 09:46 AM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:00 AM
JacobsLadder

p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Review - ProFoto A1

ZachOly wrote:
If anyone thinks people have been harsh in this thread, check out some of the “Fearless” portfolio critiques. Some of those can be pretty brutal. Asking someone to clarify how they got a product is quite minor.

I actually like the review Lanny did for this flash. It’s really well done. I video alone is way ahead of 99% of the spec sheet readers on YouTube. I honestly hope to see more from Two Mann.

Yes, critiques can be brutal, and should be brutal if warranted and constructive. But that isn't an apple to apple comparison to what occurred here. This was obviously not a portfolio critique, and yours was not a simple request for clarification on how they got a product. No backpedaling on your part can change that. Whatever, like I said, I'm beating a dead horse now and am moving on.

Sep 30, 2017 at 06:54 AM
ashton lamont
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Review - ProFoto A1

there are some real a-holes here - internet or real life a-holes is besides the point - that do nothing but bring the FM community and experience down

I read the OP's thread when he first posted and I was very disappointed at how he misrepresented his position at that point. I had been expecting Admin to pull it in short order.

I joined FM on 29th March 2004. I can see JL joined just one week ago, doesn't have any profile info let alone a website linked, and seems to have spent an inordinate amount of effort to try and support the OP whilst decrying some existing members. Very strange.

Sep 30, 2017 at 07:49 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Review - ProFoto A1

So if a not so well known photographer dropped a link on this forum without any context you would welcome it with open arms?

The fact the OP only came out to reply to the perceived criticism and not the genuine questions about his post also didn't shine a positive light on the situation.

Add to the fact that is was pretty much a sponsored review, it doesn't fare too well either.

I'll admit, I don't know the OP as I don't follow the work of many wedding photographers these days but it wouldn't make much of a difference to me if I did if I'm being honest.

I've been here for quite a while, so I know the difference between respect and blatant brown-nosing, especially when it comes to so-called "RockStars" in our industry.

In the meantime, maybe you want to have a look in the mirror. I think you have something on your snib...

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:31 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Review - ProFoto A1

So I went to a Profoto launch event the other night in my city to check out the A1. Lots of people there so didn't really get time to try it out on my camera - plus I only had my Fujifilm gear so couldn't really test out TTL operation. It was mostly just the Profoto ambassadors using them to shoot some models while people watched on the sidelines trying to get pics for their contest to win 1 of 6 A1 being offered.

I was late so missed the official speeches and announcement but here is what I saw and heard:

1) Product won't be shipping till November in Canada - guessing it will be similar for the US. Even the people who won the flashes that eventing won't be getting them till the shipping date.

2) Ambassadors were mainly using the A1 as rim lights or background lights - main lights were the B1 or the Pro-10 with Octa boxes or beauty dishes. I think one used an A1 in an umbrella but I was out at that point.

3) The modeling light was nice to have on a speedlight sized light

4) The A1 was being used on camera as an Air TTL remote trigger for the other Profoto lights

So - given the shipping date - any reviews post from now till shipping date will only be from people who have a relationship that can get pre-production flashes. I wouldn't expect independent reviews till then.

Sep 30, 2017 at 01:32 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Review - ProFoto A1

Can anyone find a compelling reason to buy a set of these if you're not using any other Profoto gear?

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:21 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Review - ProFoto A1

I think Lanny covered it.

1. No missed shots
2. Faster interface than Canon RT (that Godox and everyone else copied — due to lack of innovation on their part).
3. Completes ProPhoto collection with small, medium and large hardware solutions

Sep 30, 2017 at 05:21 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password