Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Review - ProFoto A1

Lanny Mann

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Review - ProFoto A1

Thanks for enlightening me, Littleguy. I'm new to this kinda thing.
Littleguy wrote:
Its just the framing and disclosure.

If you had said that you were honoured to be hired to shoot the promote video for the Profoto A1 launch and after using them you loved them so much that you dumped all your old flashes and switched over to A1s and here is why we did it - I don't think anyone would of had a problem with it.

The FTC has pretty clear rules on the required disclosures for influencers
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/04/ftc-staff-reminds-influencers-brands-clearly-disclose

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:27 AM
Lanny Mann

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Review - ProFoto A1

In fact, I've now updated that within the review. Thanks for your advice.

Lanny Mann wrote:
Thanks for enlightening me, Littleguy. I'm new to this kinda thing.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:42 AM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Review - ProFoto A1

Hi Lanny,

You and Erica ARE stand-up people. And I'm happy you can understand why everyone here is being a bit tough on you.

It is proper to disclose that you were given complimentary flashes and that you were paid to endorse a product AND that you do absolutely love that product. I'm sure if you had not loved the product, you would not have done the review.

I'm sure, as a photographer, you are aware of what it is like when the big guns of an industry all come out at once loving and pushing a new product. Every time this happens, no one ever says hey yeah they gave me stuff (from camera ambassadors and on). And that is just plain deceitful.

Can you tell us what you actually changed in your review? Did you say that you were paid to endorse, or received free product?

Thank you for hearing us.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:09 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Review - ProFoto A1

I believe this was added:

"Erika and I were honoured to have been chosen to help launch the new Profoto A1, but we can not, have not, and will never endorse anything that we don’t actually use ourselves and actually love. After testing the A1’s (see below) we have decided to replace all our old lights. This is why…"

So it appears they were paid to make a launch video but no endorsement money for writing a review.

mineymole wrote:
Hi Lanny,

You and Erica ARE stand-up people. And I'm happy you can understand why everyone here is being a bit tough on you.

It is proper to disclose that you were given complimentary flashes and that you were paid to endorse a product AND that you do absolutely love that product. I'm sure if you had not loved the product, you would not have done the review.

I'm sure, as a photographer, you are aware of what it is like when the big guns of an industry all come out at once loving and pushing a new product. Every time this
...Show more

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:16 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Review - ProFoto A1

Aw man, missed all this drama while I was shooting a wedding last night. She was Peruvian, he was Romanian. Imagine my surprise when my 2nd shooter started speaking Romanian in front of the guys. I'm looking at her with astonishment with the look of "were you ever going to tell me?" Then, don't laugh, she started speaking Spanish with the girls.

Anyway, we beat the shit out of the new Youngnuo YN600exRT's. About 3200 clicks and a lot of drunk dancing ( Spanish dance songs in equal rotation with Romanian dance songs — I didn't know there was such a thing, either). Sure they missed a few shots but the output's great, the batteries never need changing, I didn't have to buy new transmitters, and they were only 150USD. I assure you I paid for them with my own money.

What happened here?

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:22 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Review - ProFoto A1

LeeSimms wrote:
What happened here?

The relationship between the reviewer and Profoto should have been disclosed.

Sep 27, 2017 at 02:35 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Review - ProFoto A1

Once I saw all the videos reviews on the ProPhoto website I knew there was more to this than simply a photographer (or studio) going out and buying this gear, using it, loving it and then making a personal video review. This was all done in cahoots with the manufacture. From that aspect this is a disappointing marriage. Having said that, I still like this video and it's content!

The buyer has to ask him/herself, will this gear make me a better photographer or not. Enough to warrant the price tag of five the cost of Godox or similar gear? Can this gear accomplish things or offer abilities that my current gear can not do that would make it worth the investment? The only thing that I saw in the specs that these units can do that my current flashes can not do is recycle faster. My current flashes will recycle from a full dump in 1.5 sec. These will do that in 1.2 sec. That is 3/10th of a sec faster! 3/10th!!! Is that worth another $800 per flash?

Profoto is making a big deal over the round head vs the rectangular head but in real world use how does that translate? Especially once you attach a modifier to it, like a reflector or a grid. Once you do that that totally negates the shape of the flash head. No gain there. So what is the big deal over a round flash head? Plus their modifiers are ridiculously expensive. A partial gel set for $99. A bound card for $149! My MagMod stuff is much less than that.

The rond head produces softer light, What, softer light than what, please quantify. This is a point source of light so once you get it more than 2-3 feet from your subject it will be no difference, if there was any to begin with.

Li-ion battery, I already have that. Wireless Connectivity built-in, I already have that too. Firmware upgradable, mine has that too, no gain there. Connectivity range 100m, I already have that too. Can connect to other Profoto gear, ok got me there. But mine will also connect to other Good gear cross platform without having to get new gear. I can fire, Sony, Fuji, Olympus with my Nikon trigger.

So it looks like the Profoto beats my Good gear by 3/10th of a sec recycle time and (I will give them this) it has a better GUI no their trigger system. But is that worth another $800 per unit? For me that would be $5,600.00 above the cost of my Godox to replace my Godox flashes and that does not count what it would cost in modifiers. And right now they don't have a grid to use.

So what I'm I missing, why would I want to do this? What can I do with these lights that I can not already do with the system that I have?

Edited on Oct 22, 2017 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:25 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Review - ProFoto A1

This is only the head to head comparison to a regular AA speed-light I could find:

As they are still not shipping to the general public yet - no one has done a comparison to the other Li-ion battery power flashes on the market.

It is really odd that the main brands - Nikon / Canon / Sony haven't released any Li-ion power speedlights yet.

I think the only new feature I see on the A1 is the modeling light / the zoom head ring control and the Magmods like attachments - those look really nice but its certainly coming at a premium in price for those extras.

Sep 27, 2017 at 03:35 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Review - ProFoto A1

Littleguy wrote:
This is only the head to head comparison to a regular AA speed-light I could find:

As they are still not shipping to the general public yet - no one has done a comparison to the other Li-ion battery power flashes on the market.

It is really odd that the main brands - Nikon / Canon / Sony haven't released any Li-ion power speedlights yet.

I think the only new feature I see on the A1 is the modeling light / the zoom head ring control and the Magmods like attachments - those look really nice but its certainly coming at a
...Show more

Thanks for sharing that.

In HSS mode the Profoto unit take a huge power drop in comparison to the Nikon SB900. That is a significant power loss in HSS. From the Profoto perspective it would have the desired effect of making an A1 user have to buy and bring out his B1 for outdoor shooting to over power the sun in all situations.

Sep 27, 2017 at 04:06 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Review - ProFoto A1

What happened here?

The original poster only put up a link to a review on his site endorsing the Profoto A1.

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

heikoM
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Review - ProFoto A1

I think of my flahes as disposable
can't count how often they fell down, got hit or got wet. I even had one stolen...

It's enough that I have to worry about my camera, no need to do that for flashes, too...

100 bucks for a flash, who cares?

heiko

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:13 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Review - ProFoto A1

heikoM wrote:
I think of my flahes as disposable....

100 bucks for a flash, who cares?

heiko

That‘s a good point. Last the thing you need is a $1,000 flash getting knocked over at a reception.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:37 PM
JacobsLadder

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Review - ProFoto A1

MRomine wrote:
That‘s a good point. Last the thing you need is a $1,000 flash getting knocked over at a reception.

Interestingly in all the weddings I've shot I've never had someone knock over or damage a flash/stand, so that wouldn't be a factor for me. On the other hand, I did have an assistant drop one of my flashes, causing some damage and a repair bill. But if you have backups, and insurance, then it's really a moot point.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:34 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Review - ProFoto A1

JacobsLadder wrote:
Interestingly in all the weddings I've shot I've never had someone knock over or damage a flash/stand, so that wouldn't be a factor for me. On the other hand, I did have an assistant drop one of my flashes, causing some damage and a repair bill. But if you have backups, and insurance, then it's really a moot point.

I've never lost one but had close calls. But with a $175.00 flash I don't even think or worry about it. With a $1,000 flash AND insurance my deductible is higher than the cost of a new Godox so it's not a moot point.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:44 PM
JacobsLadder

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Review - ProFoto A1

MRomine wrote:
I've never lost one but had close calls. But with a $175.00 flash I don't even think or worry about it. With a $1,000 flash AND insurance my deductible is higher than the cost of a new Godox so it's not a moot point.

Clarification - to me it would be a moot point. If I felt it would make a positive difference to my business the things that concern you would not be a significant factor in my decision purpose.

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:51 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Review - ProFoto A1

OT - what I think is bubbling underneath is for the need of Godox to develop a premium line. Some concepts/technology, but with better construction/components and with US pro-support.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:24 PM
TrailboyWales

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Review - ProFoto A1

Before this thread gets closed, I would just like to add my support for those like MRomine et al.

If you are a shill for a manufacturer (which is what you are if you are posting content for payment in any form without explicit declaration), you need to declare it up front so that your opinion can be judged accordingly.

I have got truly fed up of the Fuji brigade who are not declaring financial interests. That really grinds my gears.

Sep 28, 2017 at 05:32 PM
Lanny Mann

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Review - ProFoto A1

Thanks FrancisK7. Photographers love their Godox flashes. Honestly, we were considering a switch from our Canon 600 system to Godox before we got to try these out. And based off everything I've heard from friends about their Godox, I would recommend them to anyone looking for a reliable, affordable speedlite system.

We have't tried the remote triggers yet, but we've ordered a couple Air Remotes.

Knowing Spencer, I doubt he feels smug. He's a great innovator with a lot up his sleeve, I'm sure.

FrancisK7 wrote:
Nice photos and review. Good of you to acknowledge the Godox gear or many would have criticized you for failing to bring it up.

Any comments on the remote triggers?

Spencer must feel smug that Profoto copied the magnet system. I also wonder how much the grids will cost. Out of all magmod moddifiers the grids are by far the most useful so it's strange profoto didn't rush them out.

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:32 AM
Lanny Mann

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Review - ProFoto A1

Thanks LeeSimms. Drives me crazier than it does you.

LeeSimms wrote:
You're going to miss FEWER shots, not less (sorry, couldn't resist).

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:34 AM
Lanny Mann

p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Review - ProFoto A1

Thanks Nathan. Like I wrote in the review, I fear this may be a gateway drug for Erika and me. Those B1's look pretty sweet.

Nathan Padgett wrote:
I've already become a hard core Profoto fan (and a hard core TwoMann fan as well!). Nice review and I'm already sold on this speedlight.

The only thing I've been wanting with my B1's is a having a flash on camera while still able to control the power of the B1's off camera. As a wedding photographer, that would give me to most flexibility in any situation. Say for instance, your B1's are already thought out and positioned on the B&G for toasts, but something happens opposite of them in a darkly lit spot. Your out of luck unless you
...Show more

Sep 29, 2017 at 04:36 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password