FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Review - ProFoto A1

LeeSimms wrote:
Disposable construction, not ready for prime time Li-Ion packs, etc.

(typed as I await delivery of a $400 Jinbei rip off of the B2)

The V860I weren't exactly ready for prime time but the V860II are. The TTL won't be as consistent as the Profoto that is certain but at 1/9th the price (I paid $109USD each for all five of mine) I can stomach the weaker construction. Battery life has been stellar on all units.

Nikon/Canon speedlites are expensive and use AA, the price difference with an A1 isn't even double so at that point it's an easier choice. The move from AA to Li-on is is really huge so I have no doubt Erika and Lanny were giddy with excitement about it.

Yon can purchase NINE V860II (on special) for ONE A1. You can get TEN X1T remote triggers for ONE Profoto Air TTL remote. 1:9 and 1:10 ratios kind of make you stop and consider all the options.

That said if money were no issue I'd jump on these because the small form factor and no doubt stellar TTL performance must make dancefloor shooting a new and fun experience.

Thats three times Ive seen video of photogs with an assistant using a stick to light the dancefloor subjects. Im going to have to try that.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:09 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Review - ProFoto A1

I get the battery issue with the Cheetah/Godox..... but I have been running for several years with really good consistency.

I will take the AD200 any day of the week. and the X1T.... now moving to the XPro controller.... sweetness.
The X1T and the XPro roll into highspeed sync automatically. no mess or fuss.

I still have my 360 and 180's if I get into a big wedding.....

-Mark

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:13 PM
JacobsLadder

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Review - ProFoto A1

ZachOly wrote:
It says they weren't paid. But I'd feel more comfortable if they just said "we bought 4 of these with our own money".

You must get a lot of nose bleeds way up there on that high horse of yours. This is ridiculous.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
The V860I weren't exactly ready for prime time but the V860II are. The TTL won't be as consistent as the Profoto that is certain but at 1/9th the price (I paid $109USD each for all five of mine) I can stomach the weaker construction. Battery life has been stellar on all units.

Nikon/Canon speedlites are expensive and use AA, the price difference with an A1 isn't even double so at that point it's an easier choice. The move from AA to Li-on is is really huge so I have no doubt Erika and Lanny were giddy with excitement about it.

Yon
...Show more

Francis..... practice the technique before relying on it.
I have been editing images from reception time by a guy who shoots with this method.
His keeper rate is around 10%. Part of the issue is he is afraid to get into the dance crowd with this technique.
But his lighting is crappy. He really needs to get the flash off the stick and just hand held.

-Mark

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:20 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
...Thats three times Ive seen video of photogs with an assistant using a stick to light the dancefloor subjects. Im going to have to try that.

I'd like to try this too, but the difficulty I see with this is that you can't just hire any old 'apprentice' or 'intern' to carry your light on a stick. The assistant has to have a deeper knowledge of lighting principles and what look you're going for, as well as always being aware of where the camera is, and working with the shooter to communicate non-verbally where the light should be and for how long. I noticed Lanny holding the light in the video so maybe that's how they do it. They'd definitely know what other is shooting for. But for the rest of us who don't have a consistent assistant, it would be hard to find someone willing to do this and not expect/deserve a fat check if they can do it well. And if they can't do it well then they're useless anyway.

Back on the thread topic- The biggest thing I like about this light is the round soft beam.

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:31 PM
nagoc50

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Review - ProFoto A1

We (my wife and I) have been using the "light stick" method for about 6 years and you're right about the assistant understanding what the shooter is doing -- subject/light distance, watch the shooter, not the subject, etc. After being caught up wizard TT1/Canon 580 radio interference debacle (so much $ wasted), we've been happy with the 600 RT's (always manual). We also use the B1's a ton (not to light receptions, tho) and IMO the Profoto TTL accuracy is amazing. If the A1 brings that level of accuracy, it would be the perfect light to use on a stick.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:57 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Review - ProFoto A1

FWIW, the Youngnuos we have begun using (that tap into the Canon RT signal) are all spot on regarding eTTL. We don't use them on camera (trigger with the 430RTs) but I got forced to use one recently and it was fine on exposure. I'm one of the weird people who shoot off-camera ETTL for grand entrances and some other unpredictable events (I'll admit it - I shoot P sometimes, too).

> The biggest thing I like about this light is the round soft beam

Yes, this.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:31 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Review - ProFoto A1

> Thats three times Ive seen video of photogs with an assistant using a stick to light the dancefloor subjects. Im going to have to try that.

I see it often with videographers. Old Lowel tungsten on a short stick and battery pack around shoulder.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:35 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Review - ProFoto A1

One of the best & most real-world reviews, regardless of conclusions, I've read in quite awhile. Well done.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:55 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Review - ProFoto A1

LeeSimms wrote:
You're going to miss FEWER shots, not less (sorry, couldn't resist).

Thanks, Stannis.

Sep 26, 2017 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Littleguy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Review - ProFoto A1

Not really - these flashes haven't reached the stores yet - at least not in my city and I am in Canada. At the biggest retailers here - they are pre-order only.

I know they said they paid for them but it doesn't look like they walked into a retail store and just purchased them - these appear to be straight from the manufacturer via some special offer not available to you and me.

JacobsLadder wrote:
You must get a lot of nose bleeds way up there on that high horse of yours. This is ridiculous.

Sep 26, 2017 at 05:30 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Review - ProFoto A1

I wonder because on the same day all these photographers came out with reviews and posts saying how wonderful these flashes are.

Why would these photographers do that? Make posts everywhere online and write reviews for nothing.... just because ya'll like the product? There is NOTHING in it for you?

It's like brand ambassadors of any kind - there is something in it for you. We photographers simply don't lend our name and our brand to things out of the goodness of our hearts. And it feels like every month there are photographers trying to sell us lenses, cameras, bags, software, lighting goods - and none of them get anything from these companies.

I guess I am a little jaded.

That said, they do look mighty fine.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:08 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Review - ProFoto A1

Ignore the genuine questions but dive in to respond to the perceived criticism.

Well done, mannnnnnnn.

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:40 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Review - ProFoto A1

All these photographers loved the A1 so such they decided to shoot a full on commercials for Profoto. All while paying full price for the speedlights? No compensation?

Sal Cincotta

Haiyin Lin

Two Mann

Hideaki Hamada

Fabian Wester

Jean-Phillippe Lebee

Bella Kotak

Vanessa Joy

Marie Bärsch

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:18 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Review - ProFoto A1

All using a flash not available to the public yet...I do wonder if they have read the FTC rules

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/ftcs-endorsement-guides-what-people-are-asking

ZachOly wrote:
All these photographers loved the A1 so such they decided to shoot a full on commercials for Profoto. All while paying full price for the speedlights? No compensation?

Sal Cincotta

Haiyin Lin

Two Mann

Hideaki Hamada

Fabian Wester

Jean-Phillippe Lebee

Bella Kotak

Vanessa Joy

Marie Bärsch

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Lanny Mann

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Review - ProFoto A1

In the middle of a 5 day wedding, but I'll try to answer as many questions as I can as soon as I have time. Life is just a little crazy right now.

BKphotography wrote:
Ignore the genuine questions but dive in to respond to the perceived criticism.

Well done, mannnnnnnn.

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:07 PM
Lanny Mann

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Review - ProFoto A1

1) Those are promo videos, not product reviews (like the one I took the time to write on my own and share with you here).
2) I think you're assuming much more than you know about the terms of these photographer's professional relationship with ProFoto. I will not be commenting in here on what other photographer's arrangements may or may not be with Profoto. It's none of my business.
3) I meant every word of that review, including the preamble wherein I asserted that Erika and I do not endorse ANYTHING we don't actually use ourselves and actually love.
4) Of course Erika and I were compensated by Profoto to produce that promotional video. I am not going to disclose the details of that compensation here, except to say we went WAY over budget (because we're stupid and don't know how to do anything shy of our best) and as a result ended up investing MORE than the retail value of our complimentary flashes (in the end, we ended up with a net compensation of negative $4000, not including our time or our child care costs). FML
5) Erika and I would be buying 4 of these flashes even if Profoto hadn't reached out to us.
6) My apologies to anyone didn't appreciate this review for whatever reason.
7) I will do my best to find time soon to answer as many questions about the product as I can. Life is just crazy right now.
ZachOly wrote:

Sal Cincotta

Haiyin Lin

Two Mann

Hideaki Hamada

Fabian Wester

Jean-Phillippe Lebee

Bella Kotak

Vanessa Joy

Marie Bärsch

Sep 26, 2017 at 11:28 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Review - ProFoto A1

Lanny Mann wrote:
4) Of course Erika and I were compensated by Profoto to produce that promotional video. I am not going to disclose the details of that compensation here, except to say we went WAY over budget (because we're stupid and don't know how to do anything shy of our best) and as a result ended up investing MORE than the retail value of our complimentary flashes

I dunno, maybe in the next review you could be a little more upfront.

On one hand you said you paid for these flashes at full retail. On the other hand you're saying they were complementary.

You say it's an unsolicited review, but Profoto gave you thousands to shoot a promo video, so how unsolicited can it really be?

Obviously Profoto is banking on this flash being a cash cow for them given the number of....ahem....promotional video creators they sought out. And because of the cost relative to its competitors, you can kind of understand people can be a bit skeptical of a glowing review from someone who was/wasn't/maybe paid off (speaking in general of their overall marketing campaign).

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM
Lanny Mann

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Review - ProFoto A1

My bad, not "complementary" ... we paid with money and time (but not integrity). Alas, you're free to believe whatever you like.

ZachOly wrote:
I dunno, maybe in the next review you could be a little more upfront.

On one hand you said you paid for these flashes at full retail. On the other hand you're saying they were complementary.

You say it's an unsolicited review, but Profoto gave you thousands to shoot a promo video, so how unsolicited can it really be?

Obviously Profoto is banking on this flash being a cash cow for them given the number of....ahem....promotional video creators they sought out. And because of the cost relative to its competitors, you can kind of understand people can be a bit skeptical
...Show more

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:14 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Review - ProFoto A1

Its just the framing and disclosure.

If you had said that you were honoured to be hired to shoot the promo video for the Profoto A1 launch and after using them you loved them so much that you dumped all your old flashes and switched over to A1s and here is why we did it - I don't think anyone would of had a problem with it.

The FTC has pretty clear rules on the required disclosures for influencers
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/04/ftc-staff-reminds-influencers-brands-clearly-disclose

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:19 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password