Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Review - ProFoto A1

https://twomann.com/blog/2017/09/23/profoto-a1-review/

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:19 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Review - ProFoto A1

Nice photos and review. Good of you to acknowledge the Godox gear or many would have criticized you for failing to bring it up.

Any comments on the remote triggers?

Spencer must feel smug that Profoto copied the magnet system. I also wonder how much the grids will cost. Out of all magmod moddifiers the grids are by far the most useful so it's strange profoto didn't rush them out.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:10 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Review - ProFoto A1

You're going to miss FEWER shots, not less (sorry, couldn't resist).

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:27 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Review - ProFoto A1

I've already become a hard core Profoto fan (and a hard core TwoMann fan as well!). Nice review and I'm already sold on this speedlight.

The only thing I've been wanting with my B1's is a having a flash on camera while still able to control the power of the B1's off camera. As a wedding photographer, that would give me to most flexibility in any situation. Say for instance, your B1's are already thought out and positioned on the B&G for toasts, but something happens opposite of them in a darkly lit spot. Your out of luck unless you have a light on your camera.

And to touch on the Godox lovers. If you haven't tried Profoto, you just don't know what you are missing. The ease of use, the controls, the modifiers, and just so many intangibles. Kind of like Lanny hits on a bit with the Mazda vs Mercedes thing. I think Godox has some really nice stuff out there and great prices....but give me the Profoto! And yes, it is expensive at $1000 but a B1 trigger alone is $400 new. The cost of a new Nikon or Canon speedlight is around $600. Something to think about. Personally, I jumped into Godox early when they had the battery issues. That was a disaster. I had sold a couple of my Nikon speedlights, and had to rebuy shortly after. I also never felt like the TTL exposures where nearly as good or as consistent as my Nikons. As for my B1's, TTL has always been great on. Finally, when I had the Godox system....if you wanted to control the power of your off camera flash, you couldn't have a flash on camera (well you could, but it meant you had to have a separate trigger on your camera, then your flash, and keep your trigger than actually controls the off camera attached to another receiver). Just writing that last sentence alone makes me have an anxiety attack, and I feel like I've missed something worth photographing because it felt like it took as long to write as it did actually setting the whole system up. And as Lanny mentioned.....it's really all about how you use your gear. We all work differently. I've got a feeling this flash is going to perfect for me. Now, if I didn't already own B1's..... perhaps I wouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger. But this simplifies somethings for me, and that's always a good thing.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:35 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Review - ProFoto A1

Lanny, how's the high speed sync ? I guess we'll know after you shoot a wedding with them.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:38 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Review - ProFoto A1

Im taking a 3 day workshop with them in 3 weeks.

I guess I'll listen to his advice and not ask to test drive them.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:54 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Review - ProFoto A1

Hate to be that guy, but did Profoto give you these units for free or at a discount? Or did you buy them out of your own money? Because if it's the former, it's a paid endorsement.

AvE is a pretty popular YouTuber (also based in Canada) and explained this pretty well:

https://youtu.be/MbHtzIXZvIc?t=426 (maybe NSFW - language)

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:07 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Review - ProFoto A1

Nathan Padgett wrote:
And to touch on the Godox lovers. If you haven't tried Profoto, you just don't know what you are missing.

I'm sure it's the same with the Mercedes as you say, but as a young dad with a second on the way I just can't justify driving around in a Mercedes when a Civic will do.

When my hair are as grey as LeeSimm's and I hit a venerable age I may splurge on a Tesla or other luxury vehicle of the moment but by then I hope the kids will be the hell out of here dear GAWD!

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:08 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Review - ProFoto A1

Cold blooded, cold blooded, I'm tellin' you the truth — Johnny Guitar Watson

I'm actually looking at this thinking, 6 grand for an event kit — that's not so bad. What would sting is the having to replace all the ProPhoto magnetic things I would no doubt leave all over the planet. As it is, MagMod is on speed dial. If you want to see me go ape shit on myself, wait until I open the modifier pocket and discovering I've left another grid at a wedding. Doh!

Sep 25, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
I'm sure it's the same with the Mercedes as you say, but as a young dad with a second on the way I just can't justify driving around in a Mercedes when a Civic will do.

When my hair are as grey as LeeSimm's and I hit a venerable age I may splurge on a Tesla or other luxury vehicle of the moment but by then I hope the kids will be the hell out of here dear GAWD!

As a father of two myself.....and a former Mazda owner (only car I've ever bought new).....and current BMW owner.......the BMW's are much more enjoyable (and again....it's so many little things). The key is to get them used! Same thing for the Profoto if you don't want to pay the full price. Wait a year or two get it for half price used.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Review - ProFoto A1

ZachOly wrote:
Hate to be that guy, but did Profoto give you these units for free or at a discount? Or did you buy them out of your own money? Because if it's the former, it's a paid endorsement.

Very beginning of the review:

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:17 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Review - ProFoto A1

The hard part to wrap my head around is it's an all-in migration. Full invoice, today. Can't pick up a light here, then add one in a few months. That's a big check for a two-shooter kit.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:20 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Review - ProFoto A1

LeeSimms wrote:
The hard part to wrap my head around is it's an all-in migration. Full invoice, today. Can't pick up a light here, then add one in a few months. That's a big check for a two-shooter kit.

You could start with 3 lights and the Air Remote brings you to $3500. It's not THAT bad. Whether the performance is worth ten times the Godox pricetag is up for you to decide.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:31 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Review - ProFoto A1

FrancisK7 wrote:
Very beginning of the review:

It says they weren't paid. But I'd feel more comfortable if they just said "we bought 4 of these with our own money".

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:34 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Review - ProFoto A1

If they got them for free it's the same thing as a payment, at least to me. For transparency it should be disclosed of course. The review is said to be unsolicited, I doubt Profoto would just give them four lights for free without any understanding or expectation of an endorsed review.

Not buying either way

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:37 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Review - ProFoto A1

3 lights and a remote for a single shooter. We bring 7 speed lights to every wedding with back-ups and what-not.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:43 PM
Lanny Mann

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Review - ProFoto A1

ZachOly & FranckisK7, if you must know, we used our own money to aquire our 4 A1s at full price.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:11 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Review - ProFoto A1

Lanny Mann wrote:
ZachOly & FranckisK7, if you must know, we used our own money to aquire our 4 A1s at full price.

Props

fistbump.jpg

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:17 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Review - ProFoto A1

LeeSimms wrote:
3 lights and a remote for a single shooter. We bring 7 speed lights to every wedding with back-ups and what-not.

That would be the problem for me too (we too have and employ seven flashes at our receptions). We would have to learn to shoot differently. Basically, instead of two shooters shooting all the time, we would have to go with one shooter and one OCF holder like you see them doing in the video.

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:17 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Review - ProFoto A1

Nice to know these are the shizzle though.

Every industry needs a top mark to take your money, and lets face it, lighting equipment has been in a race to the bottom for awhile. Most who identify themselves as Strobist shooters take pride in the all the DIY solutions they come up with ("look, I made a diffusor out of a grocery bag"). Godox is a "yeah, but" product. Disposable construction, not ready for prime time Li-Ion packs, etc. Legacy suppliers like Q flash and PocketWizards probably need a free market correction, but so many in that camp get deeply offended when you talk about spending ANY money on lighting gear.

So just when we get a $1,000 iPhone, we also get a $1,000 speed light. Lanny's words that speak loudest to me are the ones about mental bandwidth. It's nice when the shit just works. I'm listening.

(typed as I await delivery of a $400 Jinbei rip off of the B2)

Sep 25, 2017 at 07:25 PM
       2       3              7       8       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password