New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              9       10       end

Photoshop or ACR replacement?

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:
("You're")

Is the standalone LR being kept up to date for the CR2 files from newer bodies, or has it been left out to dry like the CS6 ACR?

Yes, fairly regular updates and bug fixes

Sep 27, 2017 at 05:16 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Zenon Char wrote:
If you have a lot of flies perhaps you may want to consider LR which you can still get as stand alone. I too use DPP for culling. For hobby shots I convert to DNG and play in PS but for a lot of shots I import into LR. I set up personal Default Settings using LR and they auto apply when I open a file in ACR, even if it is a DNG so that is very convenient.

From LR you can export a file to PS, work on it and it comes back as TIFF (original CR2
...Show more

I really second this. Lately I have tried pretty well all the converters you have mentioned and reluctantly, I think that Lightroom is the best balance of facilites and complexity. It is really very good, but I am very reluctant to go down the subscription route, so use LR6 standalone. You can use the CC tryout and then convert it to the standalone, by buying a licence.
MDE

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:05 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

As a postscript, you can switch back and forth between the tryout and the licenced version, by signing out of Adobe in the Help menu. Restart Lightroom and then sign in again. You get a trail.To go back to the paid for version, you have to enter the licence code, when to see a 'Licence this software' button. That way you can remind yourself of some of the tools that are not available in the standalone,'dehaze', being one of them. It does seem that whatever you do you always have to be signed in to Adobe to use Lightroom, CC or standalone. I really don't know if this is accident or intention.
MDE

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:27 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

You know you can get LR de-haze free as a plugin?
Personally I'd never rent software but that's just me

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:34 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

It's not just you!

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:02 PM
Sy Sez
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:
("You're")

Is the standalone LR being kept up to date for the CR2 files from newer bodies, or has it been left out to dry like the CS6 ACR?

Adobe typically updates ACR in Lightroom stand-alone until a newer version of Lightroom is released. Might be wise to wait for Lightroom 7 release.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Sy Sez wrote:
Adobe typically updates ACR in Lightroom stand-alone until a newer version of Lightroom is released. Might be wise to wait for Lightroom 7 release.

I disagree, knowing Adobe there is no guarantee that will still be available as a standalone, if you buy LR6 now and LR7 is a standalone the upgrade cost won't be high and LR6 is a fantastic program

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:11 PM
mikeengles
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Hello
I did not know, I am not that bothered as I can to some extent get a dehaze using the existing tools.
MDE

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:33 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:

You've gotten some responses to the above, but what Adobe has specifically said is that full-version releases (i.e. LR5, LR6) will get camera and lens compatibility updates until the next full-version, but no new features. LRCC (subscription version) will be updated with both as available.

So you may need to upgrade if you purchase a lens or camera that's released after another full-version LR release, and want to be able to use it/them with Lightroom seamlessly.

Sep 28, 2017 at 01:38 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

No idea why someone would want to keep both CR2 and DNG files.

Still using CS6 for latest cameras.

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Colin F
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Imagemaster wrote:
No idea why someone would want to keep both CR2 and DNG files.

Still using CS6 for latest cameras.

CS6 will open 7DII Raw files, but will not open CR2 files from 5DIV.

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:23 AM
Sy Sez
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Affinity Photo for 50 bucks

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Sep 28, 2017 at 02:39 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Colin F wrote:
CS6 will open 7DII Raw files, but will not open CR2 files from 5DIV.

ACR 9.7 ( plug-in for CS6 ) will open both CR2 files from 5DIV, and DNG files converted from those same files.

Sep 28, 2017 at 04:37 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I relied on free tools for a long long time - until I got fed up and bought a computer just for the sake of being able to use LR+PS. Why do you all decide to encumber your workflows and spend hours and hours of your spare time to make other approaches borderline usable, if you value your time as much as you bill your customers (or get from it in terms of enjoyment) you are spending more on that cobbling together solutions in a day than the CC subscription costs over the next decade! Also don't forget that:

- LR is a DAM
- LR CC comes with the added benefit of cloud integration (being able to present and edit on tablet and browser)
- PS CC is included

So sorry, my advice goes clearly out towards taking out the subscription...

Sep 28, 2017 at 07:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

charlyw wrote:
I relied on free tools for a long long time - until I got fed up and bought a computer just for the sake of being able to use LR+PS. Why do you all decide to encumber your workflows and spend hours and hours of your spare time to make other approaches borderline usable, if you value your time as much as you bill your customers (or get from it in terms of enjoyment) you are spending more on that cobbling together solutions in a day than the CC subscription costs over the next decade! Also don't forget that:

- LR
...Show more

Valid points, indeed.

To the degree that LR is a DAM (Digital Asset Management), I never liked the catalog approach of LR and never learned to use it well enough that it benefits my work flow. Certainly, there are a zillion folks who have.

Imo, DPP versions do a better job of "slider based" operations than LR (to be fair, haven't used latest LR versions), as its algorithms are Canon, for Canon. I've believed that long before Adobe went to CC model as well.

In that regard, it isn't the "free" part, it's the better part that lends me toward DPP>PS rather than LR. Yes, there is a workflow consideration ... and maybe someday (like Jim) I do dabble with the CC version of PS. I've had no real need for anything other than what I've used in CS6 ... but, it has been several years now, so maybe Adobe has something up their sleeve that has merit now.

The earlier versions of CC ... pure bells & whistles, imo. Does today's version of CC have more meat & potatoes difference, or is it just more bells & whistles? If the engines are different (from CS6 or earlier versions of CC) to harness multi-core / hyper-threading, etc. ... that could be a definite plus to the workflow. But for me, I've not encountered (been a while admittedly) in the CC version that warranted the $$$ expenditure.

$1,200 for ten years of PS & LR ... not outrageous, but Adobe did put a very, very sour taste in folks mouth when they reneged on the the whole "must upgrade" to CS6 to be eligible for future upgrades ... then pulled the rug out from under folks with the CC Only move (which BTW, they already knew they were gonna do when they did the "must upgrade" thing ... as evidenced in their SEC documentation prior to CS6 must upgrade marketing).

Many folks are still untrusting that Adobe won't "jack up" the subscription cost ... sure, folks can "cross that bridge, when they get there" ... if they get there. But, I can't fault folks for such sentiments / concerns.

Is it time to "get over it" ... ya know, it should be, and yet ...

It's probably time I checked in to see how far along CC has come since the last check. But, the point regarding its value relative to workflow & time is meritable. For me, though (diff from others @ workflow needs) it is the lack of improved processing power that renders me going "why do I need to pay more $$$ for something that still functions the same as what I've got".

I don't want more bells & whistles, I want more horsepower. When Adobe changes engines (don't think I missed that) to do so, then they'll re-garner my attention. Until then, I'm still kinda "meh" about what CC has to offer. (Again, haven't checked lately.)

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:03 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

I'm just not going to be at the mercy of Adobe if it decides it needs more income and puts the prices up, plus I just don't like renting software in principle.

My upgrade to LR6 cost about 50 and for that I get fairly regular updates and bug fixes, I have a free de-haze tool and software that does everything I need

If you need the latest PS then I expect renting is a potential solution but I'm happy with my older version, I have not seen anything in the newer ones that would help my particular work

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:10 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

dhphoto wrote:
I'm just not going to be at the mercy of Adobe

Sorry, that's just bonkers. Even if they raise the price to double the current amount it wouldn't be outrageous for the delivered performance. Remember that you get a lot of functionality which you would need to rent anyway (cloud and cloud based additions) - if you were able to get something similar to work without the CC subscription with other tools then you would need to pay for the server space and processing power anyway and those costs quickly accumulate to multiples of the current CC subscription rates!

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

charlyw wrote:
Sorry, that's just bonkers. Even if they raise the price to double the current amount it wouldn't be outrageous for the delivered performance. Remember that you get a lot of functionality which you would need to rent anyway (cloud and cloud based additions) - if you were able to get something similar to work without the CC subscription with other tools then you would need to pay for the server space and processing power anyway and those costs quickly accumulate to multiples of the current CC subscription rates!

That's your view
Mine is that I don't like Adobe much as a company, although I like a couple of their products and I don't want to be beholden to them to use their software. They have made the decision they will make more money renting it out, it's very likely they will put those prices up. Then you won't have much of a choice.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM
Colin F
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

Imagemaster wrote:
ACR 9.7 (plug-in for CS6) will open CR2 files from 5DIV.

This is news to me. Scroll down to see comments by Rikk Flohr on this link:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/09/camera-raw-9-7-now-available.html

They stopped updating ACR at v 9.1.1, so what's the step by step process to get ACR 9.7 to work on CS6?

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Photoshop or ACR replacement?

dhphoto wrote:
That's your view
Mine is that I don't like Adobe much as a company, although I like a couple of their products and I don't want to be beholden to them to use their software. They have made the decision they will make more money renting it out, it's very likely they will put those prices up. Then you won't have much of a choice.

Why would I need choice? What's the benefit of wasting hours, days, even weeks on sub par crutches to get to a point where I could have simply have signed up to a service and gotten on with my hobby/work... The monthly service costs less than a pack of cigarettes... Previous to going the subscription route most that now complain didn't buy PS, they pirated it because they simply couldn't afford it!

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:50 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password